Melbourne Football

2019-20 Forum Player Of The Season Votes

neio

Each week after the weekly MOTM voting, I will place the votes for POTY in here. Up until our bye at round 19. After that they will be revealed at end of season (% is what amount of votes highest vote getter got each week) 

VOTES

RD 1 VS MV (0-0) 3 H.Delbridge (63%) 2 J.Brillante 1 C.Metcalfe

RD 2 VS AU (2-1) 3 J.Maclaren (60%) 2 R.Windbichler 1 C.Metcalfe

RD 3 VS WU (2-1) 3 J.Maclaren (82%) 2 D.Genreau 1 R.Griffiths & J.Brillante

RD 4 VS WP (3-2) 3 S.Galloway (27%) 2 C.Metcalfe 1 R.Griffiths

RD 5 VS CCM (3-1) 3 C.Good (33%) 2 R.Griffiths 1 C.Metcalfe

RD 6 VS BR (3-4) 3 J.Maclaren (94%) 2 J.Cabrera 1 S.Jamieson

RD 7 VS WSW (3-2) 3 J.Maclaren (74%) 2 J.Brillante 1 H.Delbridge 

RD 9 VS PG (0-3) 3 R.Griffiths (27%) 2 C.Metcalfe &  L.Wales

RD 10 VS NJ (4-0) 3 J.Cabrera (45%) 2 A.Luna 1 T.Glover

RD 11 VS MV (1-2) 3 H.Delbridge (59%) 2 T.Glover 1 J.Brillante 

RD 12 VS SFC (1-2) 3 N.Atkinson (67%) 2 C.Metcalfe 1 J.Cabrera 

RD 13 VS WU(3-2) 3 C.Noone (33%) 2 J.Brillante 1 J.Maclaren 

RD 14 VS BR (2-2) 3 N.Atkinson (47%) 2 J.Brillante 1 C.Good

RD 15 VS NJ (2-0) 3 A.Luna (34%) 2 H.Delbridge 1 D.Bouzanis

RD 16 VS PG (0-0) 3 A.Luna & J.Hendry (33%) 1 H.Delbridge 

RD 17 VS AU (1-3) 3 J.Hendry (78%) 2 C.Noone 1 C.Good

RD 18 VS MV (2-1) 3 F.Berenguer (66%) 2 A.Luna 1 R.Griffiths 

RD 19 VS WP (0-1) 3 R.Griffiths (40%) 2 A.Luna 1 N.Atkinson & J.Brillante 

RD 21 VS BR (1-0) 3 J.Brillante (39%) 2 R.Griffiths 1 C.Good

RD 22 VS PG (3-2) 3 T.Glover (72%) 2 S.Jamieson 1 F.Berenguer

RD 23 VS WSW (1-1) 3 C.Good (40%) 2 N.Atkinson 1 F.Berenguer

RD 24 VS CCM (4-2) 3 J.Maclaren (72%) 2 N.Atkinson 1 M.Susaeta

RD 25 VS NJ (1-2) 3 N.Atkinson (66%) 2 F.Berenguer 1 R.Griffiths & J.Brillante

HUB 1 VS SYD (2-0) 3 C.Noone (44%) 2 F.Berenguer 1 R.Windbichler

HUB 2 VS AU (2-2) 3 F.Berenguer (59%) 2 R.Windbichler 1 N.Atkinson

HUB 3 VS WU (3-1) 3 C.Metcalfe (45%) 2 N.Atkinson 1 J.Maclaren

SF VS WU (2-0) 3 T.Glover (55%) 2 C.Good 1 R.Windbichler

GF VS SYD (0-1AET) 3 T.Glover (89%) 1 R.Windbichler, N.Atkinson & C.Good

LEADERBOARD

18 Atkinson 
17 Maclaren 
16 Brillante
14 Griffiths 
12 Luna, Metcalfe, Good, Glover, Berenguer 
10 Delbridge 
8 Noone
6 Cabrera, Hendry, Windbichler 
3 Galloway, Jamieson
2  Genreau, Wales
1 Bouzanis, Susaeta

Edited by neio
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

Just so everyone is aware, I have collated all votes and we have a winner for the season

I think I'll just wait a little before announcement as there is that 0.00001% chance that the season gets finished. Once we get confirmation that we are done, the winner will be announced 

20 minutes ago, neio said:

Just so everyone is aware, I have collated all votes and we have a winner for the season

I think I'll just wait a little before announcement as there is that 0.00001% chance that the season gets finished. Once we get confirmation that we are done, the winner will be announced 

@neio I suspect that we may be waiting a long time. They could even defer completion until next September and play the remaining matches in pre-season. That's assuming that there will be a 2020-2021 season. Once we go beyond 31st May some players will be out-of-contract.

We still have to wait and see whether we can contain the virus. My gut feeling is that there is a lot more pain in front of us before we can even start to think about playing again.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Season complete, I'm a little concerned that our Captain only accumulated 1 vote across the season

He got more, that's not a final tally. I'm currently in process of getting all the votes together, and waiting for last night's poll to finish 

• Like 3

Thank you to everyone who voted during this very long season on the week to week MOTM posts. 

This year was by far the tightest count we have had in the 5 years I've done this 

In somewhat of a bitter-sweet announcement, now we know what's happening with him, and also a slightly surprising winner

Congratulations to the 2019/20 Forum Player Of The Season

NATHANIEL ATKINSON

images (5).jpeg

Edited by neio
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

43 minutes ago, neio said:

Thank you to everyone who voted during this very long season on the week to week MOTM posts. 

This year was by far the tightest count we have had in the 5 years I've done this 

In somewhat of a bitter-sweet announcement, now we know what's happening with him, and also a slightly surprising winner

NATHANIEL ATKINSON

images (5).jpeg

Is this based on rounds won or total votes?

45 minutes ago, neio said:

NATHANIEL ATKINSON

images (5).jpeg

Fan favourite. I hope he feels even worse about leaving now. Utter stuff up that he's no longer with us. Even more gutted now, if that were possible. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, neio said:

NATHANIEL ATKINSON

images (5).jpeg

And thank you mate for keeping the tally of votes once again. Sterling job much appreciated by all of us.

And what an irony that Atkinson should win it.

• Like 2

I only mention it because it will change the result, but usually when there is three people tied on one vote they get a third each, rather than 1 each. Likewise where players share the three votes you add three and 2 together and give them 2.5.

Well done on keeping track of it over the course of the year, bit of a thankless task.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I only mention it because it will change the result, but usually when there is three people tied on one vote they get a third each, rather than 1 each. Likewise where players share the three votes you add three and 2 together and give them 2.5.

Well done on keeping track of it over the course of the year, bit of a thankless task.

I assume your talking about the grand final, and I didn't give anyone 2 because glover got 38 votes and the other 3 got 1 each. So they got the 3 remaining votes split. 95% of the time it works out perfectly, I try to do my best with other 5%

I totally understand what your saying and it's not perfect I admit that, but I also don't want to get too much into decimal votes as it gets harder to add up

22 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Is this based on rounds won or total votes?

Total votes, opening post has complete votes and leader tally 

• Like 1

On 02/09/2020 at 4:39 PM, bt50 said:

the fact would be that Atkinson would finish in second place less than 0.2 behind MacLaren, after

• MacLaren played 25 (starting 25) to Atkinson's 23 (starting 15)
  • MacLaren played 2209 minutes to Atkinson's 1429

in itself it speaks volumes to either the bias on the forums to yoof or that the lad is a big loss (probably both).

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

the fact would be that Atkinson would finish in second place less than 0.2 behind MacLaren, after

• MacLaren played 25 (starting 25) to Atkinson's 23 (starting 15)
  • MacLaren played 2209 minutes to Atkinson's 1429

in itself it speaks volumes to either the bias on the forums to yoof or that the lad is a big loss (probably both).

I don't agree that it necessarily reflect bias at all. IMO fans are more intelligent than that. JMac is a valuable player - his scoring record shows that - but if he is snuffed out by defensive tactics or by our service to him he doesn't actually have a lot else to offer.

Atkinson is definitely a big loss to the club.

In terms of next season IMO we must have a good secondary striker  to work in tandem with JMac.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I don't agree that it necessarily reflect bias at all. IMO fans are more intelligent than that. JMac is a valuable player - his scoring record shows that - but if he is snuffed out by defensive tactics or by our service to him he doesn't actually have a lot else to offer.

In terms of next season IMO we must have a good secondary striker  to work in tandem with JMac.

each time a younger player starts to show a few glimmers, our fans start to go bonkers.

so in my mind the whole #yoof gag we use has some truth to it. i'm not saying that we get completely skewed, just I've seen it happen so often that sometimes, maybe even oftentimes, you need to take the response from fans (and thereby the voting) with a grain of salt.

also, when it comes to the likes of JMac, Bruno, Bort, Mooy et al - the moment they become such key cogs in our team our fans start seeing the great performances as expect given the high bar we set from our key cogs.

FWIW i think Atkinson will be a massive loss.  when you look at most sports, the teams that do extremely well and build long term success have the ability to key develop (and keep a hold of) players from within.

teams cannot just rely on recruiting the best from external sources - you need to be able to have players come through your system (be it that you have youth academies or where you operate in a sport where players are "drafted")..  

11 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

each time a younger player starts to show a few glimmers, our fans start to go bonkers.

so in my mind the whole #yoof gag we use has some truth to it. i'm not saying that we get completely skewed, just I've seen it happen so often that sometimes, maybe even oftentimes, you need to take the response from fans (and thereby the voting) with a grain of salt.

also, when it comes to the likes of JMac, Bruno, Bort, Mooy et al - the moment they become such key cogs in our team our fans start seeing the great performances as expect given the high bar we set from our key cogs.

FWIW i think Atkinson will be a massive loss.  when you look at most sports, the teams that do extremely well and build long term success have the ability to key develop (and keep a hold of) players from within.

teams cannot just rely on recruiting the best from external sources - you need to be able to have players come through your system (be it that you have youth academies or where you operate in a sport where players are "drafted")..  

I agree with the bolded part. I feel that voting tends to follow the line of who has performed the best comparative to their normal performance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It’s the endless debate on the MotM criteria, how we as football fans look at the games.

1. Best player on the ground for 90 minutes

2. An Individual highlight

A player can play absolutely rubbish but score two penalties and people vote for him. I’ve seen that happen a lot.

5 hours ago, Mr MO said:

It’s the endless debate on the MotM criteria, how we as football fans look at the games.

1. Best player on the ground for 90 minutes

2. An Individual highlight

A player can play absolutely rubbish but score two penalties and people vote for him. I’ve seen that happen a lot.

It's about entertainment, effort and spirit as well. It's a measure of who catches your eye, who entertains, who you feel has tried and shown commitment to the cause. It's ultimately a measure of who are our terrace heroes. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

It's about entertainment, effort and spirit as well. It's a measure of who catches your eye, who entertains, who you feel has tried and shown commitment to the cause. It's ultimately a measure of who are our terrace heroes. 

That’s it, it’s all very personal.

Its fascinating, the way I see it is that we see Atkinson up there due to his exciting play (Without goals) and Jmac because he scored some winning goals without setting the house on fire for 80minutes in most the majority’s of the games. 

We are mixing up Matchwinners with Best Footballer on the day, both players are up there for very different reasons.

Edited by Mr MO

The main reason why Atkinson won compared to JMac is that Maclaren usually either got the best player or nothing, Atkinson picked up alot of minor votes. Especially after the restart.

Just for anyone wondering when we stopped for Covid it was a tie between Maclaren and Brillante for the win. Atkinson was about 4th and came right over the top 

Edited by neio
  • Like 3

• jw1739 unpinned this topic