Melbourne Football

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR FC

Justin87

• 1 month later...

Tottenham tore us a new one for most of the match! Defoe should have been sent off twice, once before his 2nd Goal and then in injury time. Played pretty well in the last 15 but was way too little too late. Nice to see Carrol getting on the sheet. Hopefully he'll start scoring more consistently.

Did enjoy the Andy Carrol He scores when he wants/once a Year chants! :P

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Another disappointing season, especially with the transfer budget we had.

Spurs management for mine don't take the gaffer position seriously enough. They thinks the world is full of "world beater" gaffers who can come in, get players performing above expectations and never have a set back.  Therefore they just churn them.

The thing is:

1) There aren't that many world beating gaffers (by definition)

2) A good manager is going to take time to deliver and will have setbacks along the way

3) The players they've signed are good but they aren't Messi, Ronaldo etc.  Expectations don't seem to match reality.

As an aside players like Paulinho are surely coach killers.  Form in a wall then dodge out of the way when the ball is kicked at them (so that it goes in the goals, but its OK, it didn't hurt Paulinho).  How can anyone coach for that?

Another disappointing season, especially with the transfer budget we had.

Spurs management for mine don't take the gaffer position seriously enough. They thinks the world is full of "world beater" gaffers who can come in, get players performing above expectations and never have a set back.  Therefore they just churn them.

The thing is:

1) There aren't that many world beating gaffers (by definition)

2) A good manager is going to take time to deliver and will have setbacks along the way

3) The players they've signed are good but they aren't Messi, Ronaldo etc.  Expectations don't seem to match reality.

As an aside players like Paulinho are surely coach killers.  Form in a wall then dodge out of the way when the ball is kicked at them (so that it goes in the goals, but its OK, it didn't hurt Paulinho).  How can anyone coach for that?

Don't get me started on Soldado either.

Should have just been patient and stuck with AVB.
Would have eventually got results, played good football (which is pretty important at Spurs), and had a good environment at the club (except for Ade).
Sherwood has killed some of our talent immensely, and played some of the most disorganised footy I have ever seen.
Results would have come either way.

• 1 month later...

As a spurs fan new to this forum, I just wanted to say that I'm fucking terrified of what ARSEnal will do to us this season.

Really? I'm not.

As long as our signings last season click I think we'll be fine. But that's a big if. In fairness though there are good signs coming out of the club with Lloris resigning and Vertonghen talking up the new manager. I suppose I was a bit drastic with my comment before.

As a spurs fan new to this forum, I just wanted to say that I'm fucking terrified of what ARSEnal will do to us this season.

Really? I'm not.

As long as our signings last season click I think we'll be fine. But that's a big if. In fairness though there are good signs coming out of the club with Lloris resigning and Vertonghen talking up the new manager. I suppose I was a bit drastic with my comment before.

Lloris and Vertonghen are our two best players, so that's a good sign.

As for last year's signings:

- Paulinho: Proven himself already.

- Chadli: Came good at the end of the year and showed his versatility, playing wide, trequartista, and in central midfield.

- Soldado: Hopefully a good off-season can give him some confidence, because he's a great finisher on his day and hasn't shown it at Spurs yet.

- Capoue: Dogged by injury, but was good in midfield when he played and even slotted in at centre back when needed.

- Chriches: Was very good most of the time he played. Should be a good fit again.

- Eriksen: Top-5 player at the club right now.

- Lamela: Was very quiet last season, but I think he'll come good. Was outstanding at Roma the year(s) before.

No ins yet this year, but Livermore out is interesting. Was never completely out of his depth at senior level, but we have probably got too many central midfielders, so it makes sense.

Really? I'm not. As long as our signings last season click I think we'll be fine. But that's a big if. In fairness though there are good signs coming out of the club with Lloris resigning and Vertonghen talking up the new manager. I suppose I was a bit drastic with my comment before.

Lloris and Vertonghen are our two best players, so that's a good sign.

- Chadli: Came good at the end of the year and showed his versatility, playing wide, trequartista, and in central midfield.

- Soldado: Hopefully a good off-season can give him some confidence, because he's a great finisher on his day and hasn't shown it at Spurs yet.

- Capoue: Dogged by injury, but was good in midfield when he played and even slotted in at centre back when needed.

- Chriches: Was very good most of the time he played. Should be a good fit again.

- Lamela: Was very quiet last season, but I think he'll come good. Was outstanding at Roma the year(s) before.

No ins yet this year, but Livermore out is interesting. Was never completely out of his depth at senior level, but we have probably got too many central midfielders, so it makes sense.

I think Holtby will follow Livermore out the door for similar reasons, I hope it's only on loan again though because he seems like such a great bloke and I think will come very good. If Paulinho can play for us like he (usually) does for Brazil that would be great.

I think our biggest holes at the moment are at the back. Rose really isn't good enough to play for a team pushing for the champions league and I would love to see us buy Caulker back. We never should have sold him in my opinion.

Really? I'm not. As long as our signings last season click I think we'll be fine. But that's a big if. In fairness though there are good signs coming out of the club with Lloris resigning and Vertonghen talking up the new manager. I suppose I was a bit drastic with my comment before. Lloris and Vertonghen are our two best players, so that's a good sign.

I think Holtby will follow Livermore out the door for similar reasons, I hope it's only on loan again though because he seems like such a great bloke and I think will come very good. If Paulinho can play for us like he (usually) does for Brazil that would be great.

I think our biggest holes at the moment are at the back. Rose really isn't good enough to play for a team pushing for the champions league and I would love to see us buy Caulker back. We never should have sold him in my opinion.

Holtby is easily good enough to be in the team. Would be stupid to get rid of him. Plus, the bloke actually has some fire in him and tries a lot.

Agreed on defence.

Really? I'm not.As long as our signings last season click I think we'll be fine. But that's a big if. In fairness though there are good signs coming out of the club with Lloris resigning and Vertonghen talking up the new manager. I suppose I was a bit drastic with my comment before.Lloris and Vertonghen are our two best players, so that's a good sign.

No ins yet this year, but Livermore out is interesting. Was never completely out of his depth at senior level, but we have probably got too many central midfielders, so it makes sense. I think Holtby will follow Livermore out the door for similar reasons, I hope it's only on loan again though because he seems like such a great bloke and I think will come very good. If Paulinho can play for us like he (usually) does for Brazil that would be great.

Holtby is easily good enough to be in the team. Would be stupid to get rid of him. Plus, the bloke actually has some fire in him and tries a lot.

Agreed on defence.

Where would you fit him in the team though? 4 of the players you mentioned above play in the midfield plus Dembele, Sandro and Young Tommy Carroll if he doesn't go on loan again this year. That's a lot of players to fit on a team which usually plays 3 in the middle. Who would pick for your starting midfield?

Really? I'm not. As long as our signings last season click I think we'll be fine. But that's a big if. In fairness though there are good signs coming out of the club with Lloris resigning and Vertonghen talking up the new manager. I suppose I was a bit drastic with my comment before. Lloris and Vertonghen are our two best players, so that's a good sign.

No ins yet this year, but Livermore out is interesting. Was never completely out of his depth at senior level, but we have probably got too many central midfielders, so it makes sense. I think Holtby will follow Livermore out the door for similar reasons, I hope it's only on loan again though because he seems like such a great bloke and I think will come very good. If Paulinho can play for us like he (usually) does for Brazil that would be great.

I think our biggest holes at the moment are at the back. Rose really isn't good enough to play for a team pushing for the champions league and I would love to see us buy Caulker back. We never should have sold him in my opinion. Holtby is easily good enough to be in the team. Would be stupid to get rid of him. Plus, the bloke actually has some fire in him and tries a lot.

Agreed on defence.

Where would you fit him in the team though? 4 of the players you mentioned above play in the midfield plus Dembele, Sandro and Young Tommy Carroll if he doesn't go on loan again this year. That's a lot of players to fit on a team which usually plays 3 in the middle. Who would pick for your starting midfield?

Honestly, you rotate.

Our best three is probably Paulinho, Eriksen and Dembele or Sandro, but you change it weekly for different needs.

Paulinho does everything, so he's pretty much a lock.

If you need more run, you throw in Holtby.

If you need more class, you keep Eriksen.

If you need more power, you bring Sandro in.

If you need passing and attack, you bring in Dembele.

If you need more defensive cover, you have Capoue.

Tommy Carroll won't be regular but will have a few games here and there.

Bentaleb can go for all I care. Didn't like him.

Really? I'm not.As long as our signings last season click I think we'll be fine. But that's a big if. In fairness though there are good signs coming out of the club with Lloris resigning and Vertonghen talking up the new manager. I suppose I was a bit drastic with my comment before.Lloris and Vertonghen are our two best players, so that's a good sign.

No ins yet this year, but Livermore out is interesting. Was never completely out of his depth at senior level, but we have probably got too many central midfielders, so it makes sense.I think Holtby will follow Livermore out the door for similar reasons, I hope it's only on loan again though because he seems like such a great bloke and I think will come very good. If Paulinho can play for us like he (usually) does for Brazil that would be great.

I think our biggest holes at the moment are at the back. Rose really isn't good enough to play for a team pushing for the champions league and I would love to see us buy Caulker back. We never should have sold him in my opinion.Holtby is easily good enough to be in the team. Would be stupid to get rid of him. Plus, the bloke actually has some fire in him and tries a lot.

Agreed on defence. Where would you fit him in the team though? 4 of the players you mentioned above play in the midfield plus Dembele, Sandro and Young Tommy Carroll if he doesn't go on loan again this year. That's a lot of players to fit on a team which usually plays 3 in the middle. Who would pick for your starting midfield?

Honestly, you rotate.

Our best three is probably Paulinho, Eriksen and Dembele or Sandro, but you change it weekly for different needs.

Paulinho does everything, so he's pretty much a lock.

If you need more run, you throw in Holtby.

If you need more class, you keep Eriksen.

If you need more power, you bring Sandro in.

If you need passing and attack, you bring in Dembele.

If you need more defensive cover, you have Capoue.

Tommy Carroll won't be regular but will have a few games here and there.

Bentaleb can go for all I care. Didn't like him.

That makes good sense. Against the top teams toughen up and against the weaker ones play say eriksen with Holtby or Dembele to get that extra movement going forward. Those were strange times indeed when Bentaleb was starting. Sherwood was an interesting man.