Melbourne Football

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR FC

Justin87

So glad Sherwood's gone.
I'm probably in the minority in that I think we should never have sacked AvB.
He wasn't doing OVERLY badly, and he had a real plan for the club; much more than any of our other recent managers.
He was playing attacking football, which fits perfectly at Spurs, and he was a good identifier of talent.
Results would have come with persistence.

So glad Sherwood's gone.

He wasn't doing OVERLY badly, and he had a real plan for the club; much more than any of our other recent managers.

He was playing attacking football, which fits perfectly at Spurs, and he was a good identifier of talent.

Yeah, I don't agree with you there. I thought some of those performances were shocking, in particular the 6-0 at man city and even worse the 0-5 at the lane to Liverpool. Those alone were enough for me. I also didn't think that we showed much going forward at times, a lot of 1 goal wins.

So glad Sherwood's gone.

Yeah, I don't agree with you there. I thought some of those performances were shocking, in particular the 6-0 at man city and even worse the 0-5 at the lane to Liverpool. Those alone were enough for me. I also didn't think that we showed much going forward at times, a lot of 1 goal wins.

I agree, they were terrible.

But a few games is no reason to sack a manager in my opinion.

We need to build the future of the club; there's no direction at the moment.

AvB offered a direction and a focus, albeit with many mistakes along the way.

So glad Sherwood's gone.

You certainly don't get anywhere sacking your manager every 6 months thats true. Hopefully Pochettino is that manager for us. I dont think AVB could've been that manager but he and Bale did give us some great photos

bale-avb.jpg

bale-avb_1680592a.jpg

• Like 1

So glad Sherwood's gone.

I was at The Lane for that game against Liverpool. You could see the disconnect between the players and AVB. Besides Sandro who went of early, and Holtby, nobody else gave a shit. Lennon was terrible and gave up at the drop of a hat.

My opinion is that AVB is too smart to be a football manager, and tries to implement tactics that the average footballer isn't smart enough to comprehend! I also think he's a bit of a nazi and that once he doesn't like someone, such as Adebeyor and BAE, he tosses them aside and never gives them a look in. We were lucky to have as many points as we did under him last season. We scraped through with some dodgy pens against some low table opposition and were utterly terrible to watch. You say a few games shouldn't decide the fate of a manager and you're right, but not when those few games are absolute drubbings. Like I said earlier, it was obvious to see the players just didn't want to play for him. I know that's not fair on him as players should just do the job they're paid to do, I don't think the club would have gotten anywhere with his personality in charge.

It's fair to say last season was one of the worst I've ever watched. I've enjoyed seasons finishing 10th to 15th more than I did last season!

Sherwood was a muppet and had no idea what he was doing!

And Levy needs to let go of some control so the person he employs to run the team can ACTUALLY RUN THE TEAM!

But we have too many players who are not quite good enough. Lennon and Townsend can't cross or shoot to save themselves. Our defense, especially at full back is woeful, and Dawson's time is pretty much up. Our midfield has been too unsettled, and we haven't been able to score enough goals. One of the few positives I could see from last season was Harry Kane and hopefully he pushes on. Paulinho has been ok, Holtby should be a certain starter with Sandro and eriksen, but we need a decent winger. That's where Lamela comes into it. His transfer fee was ridiculous though.

I've rambled a lot cuz I've tried to put the events of last season behind me, and so haven't thought about them for a while. Don't get me wrong, it's far from doom and gloom as we had a shocker of a season and still finished 6th. We have some great individual players, but we're far from having a great team.

• Like 2

Looks like we'll finally be getting our new stadium built. Was on a WHL stadium tour in 2010, and from memory they were hopeful of having it built by the start of the 2014/15 season!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/tottenham-hotspur-new-stadium-spurs-receive-a-boost-after-they-are-granted-permission-to-use-site-9601582.html

Looks like we'll finally be getting our new stadium built. Was on a WHL stadium tour in 2010, and from memory they were hopeful of having it built by the start of the 2014/15 season!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/tottenham-hotspur-new-stadium-spurs-receive-a-boost-after-they-are-granted-permission-to-use-site-9601582.html

This would make for an odd season, it would be sad to play not only away from the lane but away from London altogether. 

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/tottenham-could-play-home-games-at-ipswich-or-brighton-while-new-stadium-is-being-built--as-spurs-rule-out-white-hart-lane-stay-9578497.html

I really hope I get a chance to make it to the lane before it's rebuilt, but those interior plans with the single stand do look brilliant. Shame they can't be made safe-standing though.

This would make for an odd season, it would be sad to play not only away from the lane but away from London altogether. 

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/tottenham-could-play-home-games-at-ipswich-or-brighton-while-new-stadium-is-being-built--as-spurs-rule-out-white-hart-lane-stay-9578497.html

I really hope I get a chance to make it to the lane before it's rebuilt, but those interior plans with the single stand do look brilliant. Shame they can't be made safe-standing though.

Yeah, doesn't really seem right to possibly be playing home games away from not only your own ground but out of the CITY! Ahem, ahem!

From what I can remember, I think the original idea was to build adjacent to WHL so that during the final season they'd only be missing one stand which would be knocked down while they added the final stand to the new stadium. I could have that wrong though. It was my first day overseas, after flying for the very first time, all the way to London!

But I'd definitely get to The Lane before it goes. A truly great oldschool stadium. Nice and cosy, with so much character. It'll be sad when it's gone.

Yeah, doesn't really seem right to possibly be playing home games away from not only your own ground but out of the CITY! Ahem, ahem!

From what I can remember, I think the original idea was to build adjacent to WHL so that during the final season they'd only be missing one stand which would be knocked down while they added the final stand to the new stadium. I could have that wrong though. It was my first day overseas, after flying for the very first time, all the way to London!

But I'd definitely get to The Lane before it goes. A truly great oldschool stadium. Nice and cosy, with so much character. It'll be sad when it's gone.

Yes, I remember something like that being on the website but I just checked and it seems to have gone. Surely we could get a ground share going with another London club, theres so damn many of them. 

Did you only make it to the one game against Liverpool? The new stadium surely wont match it but the extra cash will be very helpful.

Yes, I remember something like that being on the website but I just checked and it seems to have gone. Surely we could get a ground share going with another London club, theres so damn many of them. 

Did you only make it to the one game against Liverpool? The new stadium surely wont match it but the extra cash will be very helpful.

Was also there for the last round of Europa against Anzhi. It was a dead rubber but I wouldn't pass up any opportunity to go to The Lane, plus it was good to be able to go there and really enjoy a game while not being anxious about the result! Winning 4-1 was good to! I also got to a game in October 2010 when we beat Villa 2-1 thanks to a van der Vaart brace. Villa scored first and according to my wife I looked like I was about to cry. It all finished well thanks to Rafa.

Unfortunately building a bigger stadium is a necessity for us, especially in this day and age. We need the extra money a larger capacity stadium will bring to be able to compete, but in any case it would be stupid not to do so considering we have 30 to 40,000 people on the season ticket waiting list. Why wouldn't we want to accomodate for as many supporters as possible? Like I said, it will be sad when WHL goes, but the end result will only be a good thing for the club. It will also help regenerate an incredibly run-down and shady area of London.

Edited by Pete Heartspur

• 1 month later...

Don't know what to think about our performance last night. First half was pretty much a continuation of last season, including a shambles of a red for naughton. Lucky Noble missed the pen cuz I think we would have struggled had we gone behind.

Second half was a bit better and started to make inroads in the final third, and really pushed on after Collins got his second yellow. Funny how they played like they were a man down after that.

Eric Dier's calm finish after being played in by a great ball by Kane was very unlike Spurs! Can't really expect much from a debutant. He'll catch on soon enough.

Good to get a win like that over the chumps!

• 2 months later...

Who's been more disappointing so far? Spurs or City?

That would have to be City.

Everything seems to be running normally at Spurs

Shame our point of normality is high hopes followed by disappointment. Pochettino complaining about the pitch size is a pretty poor look to me.

Guys, winter is coming in Europe! No, I am not talking about Game of Thrones, but January transfer window. Rumour has it...Tottenham are bracing themselves for a £20m bid from Real Madrid for our goalkeeper Hugo Lloris during this period. WTF!!

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/529928/EXCLUSIVE-Real-Madrid-Tottenham-Hugo-Lloris

Edited by raw10

Guys, winter is coming in Europe! No, I am not talking about Game of Thrones, but January transfer window. Rumour has it...Tottenham are bracing themselves for a £20m bid from Real Madrid for our goalkeeper Hugo Lloris during this period. WTF!!

Having seen how Levy works in the transfer market I can't see him going over winter. If we don't make Champion's League this year though I think he's gone, he really is too good not to be playing amongst the best. I think we could wring more than 20 mil out of them though. 

Having seen how Levy works in the transfer market I can't see him going over winter. If we don't make Champion's League this year though I think he's gone, he really is too good not to be playing amongst the best. I think we could wring more than 20 mil out of them though. 

He almost left before the new season starts, as he really want to play in the Champions League. We really need to keep players like him if we are serious about being in EPL, but knowing Levy, he will cut him loose and buy someone  at a bargain price.  :hkpalm:  

He almost left before the new season starts, as he really want to play in the Champions League. We really need to keep players like him if we are serious about being in EPL, but knowing Levy, he will cut him loose and buy someone  at a bargain price.  :hkpalm:  

We already have a decent back up in Vorm luckily. I'm still hopeful we can make Champion's League though, everyone bar Chelsea has been absolutely rubbish. As long as we can win a couple of these easy games coming up we could use it as a springboard. 

I do tend to go between irrationally hopeful and depressed daily though.

No chance of making CL. Lloris signed a 5 year extension in the summer most likely so that Levy will get the highest price possible for him when the inevitable does happen in May. I'd say if Madrid are offering 20mil for him now, Levy will be looking to get at least 30mil.

I reckon Vertonghen will be gone by the start of next season too. Was reported he was going to be made captain til his contract talks halted in mid September. Probably had another sulk like the child he is. Although he's one of, if not our best defender, I won't be sad to see him go.

With the exception of our goalkeeper, the rest of our side resembles our own Melbourne Heart. Shitty, suspect defense, ok midfield, toothless attack. Full-backs are terrible, CBs having brain-explosions, Eriksen is a shadow of his form from last season. Soldado and Adebayor aren't going to get us far, Kane seems like our only striker likely to score.

With the exception of our goalkeeper, the rest of our side resembles our own Melbourne Heart. Shitty, suspect defense, ok midfield, toothless attack. Full-backs are terrible, CBs having brain-explosions, Eriksen is a shadow of his form from last season. Soldado and Adebayor aren't going to get us far, Kane seems like our only striker likely to score.

At least spurs keeper is far better than Redmayne. And the positive from selling defenders is they're easier to replace than attackers.

Ryan Mason seems to be coming on a bit though. Probably the only positive so far this season!

Yeah, the young fellas are coming through well. At least that's one good thing Sherwood did, wasn't afraid to give them a run. I know he didn't play Mason but he took a punt on Bentaleb and Kane.

Edited by Duffman

I know this is a long shot but Assou Ekoto fell out of the pecking order and we are trying to get rid of him for free. so perhaps CFG can sign him and give him to Melbourne? Our LB problem, solved!

Would be lying if I said this hadn't crossed my mind! Probably wouldn't be able to afford it unless he was a marquee. We'd have to pay his wages under the cap right?

I know this is a long shot but Assou Ekoto fell out of the pecking order and we are trying to get rid of him for free. so perhaps CFG can sign him and give him to Melbourne? Our LB problem, solved!

Would be lying if I said this hadn't crossed my mind! Probably wouldn't be able to afford it unless he was a marquee. We'd have to pay his wages under the cap right?

Presumably yes, and assuming that he does want to play at a much lower league but if we can convince David Villa, albeit a short stint, to play here, then anything is possible. As I said, long shot though. 

Presumably yes, and assuming that he does want to play at a much lower league but if we can convince David Villa, albeit a short stint, to play here, then anything is possible. As I said, long shot though. 

Disco Benny will play anywhere, as long as the price is right!

• 4 weeks later...

Last remaining warehouse remaining around White Hart Lane that is preventing the expansion of the site goes up in flames. Coincidence?

http://www.lbc.co.uk/warehouse-by-white-hart-lane-on-fire-100938

Some spurs fan decided to take matters into their own hands. At least we won't need to go to court anymore.

The bloke was never going to win his appeal anyway, it was just a matter of (a very long) time before he had to give up his land. Having said that, he'll probably still refuse to sell his pile of rubble! Stubborn bastard!