Melbourne Football

Season 19/20 Matchday Thread

Dylan

4 hours ago, Dylan said:

Thank Christ the pre season is over. I reckon Adelaide might roll Sydney tonight 

Make a change from:

1. Apologists trying to justify why a truly horrendous refereeing decision deciding a grand final was actually “ok”

2. Listening to bored media types try to make the absence of news in “non-trade week” sound exciting.

Just now, jw1739 said:

Surely the VAR cannot over-rule the on-field referee unless the latter calls for assistance?

FMD, VAR is ruining the game.

I think there's been a change this year in regards to the offside calls where the 4th official/technology makes the call and ref stays out of it unless it's a judgement decision of interfering in play

7 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I think there's been a change this year in regards to the offside calls where the 4th official/technology makes the call and ref stays out of it unless it's a judgement decision of interfering in play

that's horrible

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bt50 said:

20 hours ago, Nate said:

that's horrible

10 hours ago, bt50 said:

Disagree tbh. Theyre trying to apply an equal standard across the league, which is what the technology attempts to achieve. How that works in practice is another thing entirely.

I think old buzzards like me will be turned away from the game if this sort of thing takes over much like it has in Rugby League. IMO a "game" adjudicated by technology will be as boring as shit. 

• Like 2

On 11/10/2019 at 9:11 PM, Nate said:

that's horrible

On 12/10/2019 at 6:30 AM, bt50 said:

Disagree tbh. Theyre trying to apply an equal standard across the league, which is what the technology attempts to achieve. How that works in practice is another thing entirely.

Im along the same lines as BT50. I think the reasoning behind it is because they purchased hawkeye to help. But in terms of VAR as a whole, its never going to go away now so the rules need to be rewritten with it in mind

On 11/10/2019 at 9:03 PM, bt50 said:

The problem I've noticed with that is the linesman keeps his flag down when it's offside and the keeper saves, it's then a corner.....the VAR doesn't stop the game and award the free kick for the original offisde. Team then scores from the corner, do they go back 2 phases in play and decide the original offside that led to the corner should've been awarded and the goal is disallowed. It's a slippery slope, I'd rather deal with the human element and only retain goal line technology.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

The problem I've noticed with that is the linesman keeps his flag down when it's offside and the keeper saves, it's then a corner.....the VAR doesn't stop the game and award the free kick for the original offisde. Team then scores from the corner, do they go back 2 phases in play and decide the original offside that led to the corner should've been awarded and the goal is disallowed. It's a slippery slope, I'd rather deal with the human element and only retain goal line technology.

I think the linesman is boned either way - if they call the offsides they normally would and it leads to a goalscoring opportunity being taken away from the attacking player because they got it wrong, they're in strife, but equally in the situation you described they're in trouble too.

3 hours ago, mus-28 said:

This has been my view since Day 0. 

Attendances across the league have been so disappointing these first 8 games.

Just under 7k for Western United's first hitout is okay but only 17k for Victory vs Wanderers is bang average compared to the days of old and 8k for the F3 Derby is absolutely terrible.

Hopefully it improves as the teams and supporters grow into the season because while there aren't any bonafide world class names like Honda or Del Piero this time around, high quality signings like Meier, Schwegler and Müller for WSW, Hooper for the Nix, Diamanti and Kone for WU, Noone for us etc. have me genuinely excited for the season ahead, not to mention all of the young Australian talent that seems to be getting a bigger crack at first team action than ever.

12 minutes ago, Nate said:

Attendances across the league have been so disappointing these first 8 games.

Just under 7k for Western United's first hitout is okay but only 17k for Victory vs Wanderers is bang average compared to the days of old and 8k for the F3 Derby is absolutely terrible.

Hopefully it improves as the teams and supporters grow into the season because while there aren't any bonafide world class names like Honda or Del Piero this time around, high quality signings like Meier, Schwegler and Müller for WSW, Hooper for the Nix, Diamanti and Kone for WU, Noone for us etc. have me genuinely excited for the season ahead, not to mention all of the young Australian talent that seems to be getting a bigger crack at first team action than ever.

Whilst committed A-League fans may consider that we have some quality imports this season, no-one else except someone who follows overseas football very closely has heard of any of the players that you mention. I think that attendances so far reflect what the "bolted-on" support for the League really is. When you add the absence of real star players to questionable fixturing and overall management of the League - Steven Lowy might have gone but Gallop and O'Rourke and their cronies are still there folks - the attendances don't surprise me. 

It's much the same for any form of entertainment. You need real big names to bring in the general public.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Whilst committed A-League fans may consider that we have some quality imports this season, no-one else except someone who follows overseas football very closely has heard of any of the players that you mention. I think that attendances so far reflect what the "bolted-on" support for the League really is. When you add the absence of real star players to questionable fixturing and overall management of the League - Steven Lowy might have gone but Gallop and O'Rourke and their cronies are still there folks - the attendances don't surprise me. 

It's much the same for any form of entertainment. You need real big names to bring in the general public.

It’s not just that.

When you strip away the hype, the standard of football has been steadily dropping over the last few years. 
Add to that your point about no names and a crack down on ALL active fans because of the criminal behaviour of a few people at 2 clubs and we are where we are.

• Like 2