Melbourne Football

Atkinson, Wales face FFA sanctions

moops

45 minutes ago, moops said:

So you put young lads into Phnom Penh (and I'm guessing here, don't supervise them properly), one of the flesh pots of Asia, and don't expect them to be tempted?

Who hasn't been there and done that? - Singapore, Saigon and Hong Kong in the old days, Shanghai, Bangkok, Chiang Mai...

Boys will be boys.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Latchford said:

At the time they'd have all been on A-League minimum wage which is a touch over $60k. Asia is the only place they could actually live like the pro-footballers they are and they had a night out.

Headline should read "Males in early twenties have a few beers in Asia".

I also read that the ABC started the enquiry “under freedom of information” - they are just looking for it.

26 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I also read that the ABC started the enquiry “under freedom of information” - they are just looking for it.

Typical ABC "investigative journalism." Then the ABC itself moans like hell when it's investigated itself. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Typical ABC "investigative journalism." Then the ABC itself moans like hell when it's investigated itself. 

please dont bring politics onto here. What your talking about are two totally separate things. One is boys playing in a team doing stupid shit after they lost. The other is the ABC being raided by the federal police.  Honestly get a grip mate

Edited by Originalmeme
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Actually there was an anonymous complaint which the FFA had to investigate and that was public information. What was not public was what the complaint was about and who it involved so the ABC issued a FOI. This could mean two things: that no other news outlet looks at the FFA or that they couldn't be arsed following it up.

What remains a mystery is the complainant and their motivation.

• 1 month later...

Cultural issues.......I don't think there's any better form of team bonding than what allegedly went on. Unless they were broadcasting a gangbang live on Facebook while wearing their playing kit I can't see how it should be worthy of a lengthy ban. 

It's typical of Australian sporting bodies to come down excessively on our own. 

2 minutes ago, n i k o said:

4 guys 1 girl. No cup reported. 

But not rape, otherwise they'd be charged. So, sexual intercourse with a Cambodian girl. Pretty common experience for a lot of people I'd say - that's why people go there - cheap booze, cheap drugs, cheap sex. 

Just now, jw1739 said:

But not rape, otherwise they'd be charged. So, sexual intercourse with a Cambodian girl. Pretty common experience for a lot of people I'd say - that's why people go there - cheap booze, cheap drugs, cheap sex. 

Yeh they've been cleared of everything. But look, if the squad has rules then players have to abide. The bigger question is how McGree got off but the others didn't. 

12 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Yeh they've been cleared of everything. But look, if the squad has rules then players have to abide. The bigger question is how McGree got off but the others didn't. 

I would have thought that "breaching squad rules" would have been sufficient explanation. As it is, the audience is left speculating about what disrespectful relationship was the subject of a complaint by a woman. Seems an unnecessary stain on the characters of four young footballers.

On 09/10/2019 at 10:11 AM, jw1739 said:

So you put young lads into Phnom Penh (and I'm guessing here, don't supervise them properly), one of the flesh pots of Asia, and don't expect them to be tempted?

Who hasn't been there and done that? - Singapore, Saigon and Hong Kong in the old days, Shanghai, Bangkok, Chiang Mai...

Boys will be boys.

The issue isn't that they were tempted, the issue is how they responded to the temptation

8 hours ago, belaguttman said:

The issue isn't that they were tempted, the issue is how they responded to the temptation

The issue for me is not that at all. We all make mistakes from time to time. I just don't like people being quite severely punished for something when only just enough information on the offence is published so that speculation on what actually happened continues.

For me, "breaching squad rules" is quite enough explanation.