Melbourne Football

2012/2013 MH starting 11, subs and coaches based on confirmed appointments / contracted players only

Torn Asunder

I'll be interested to see how a fully fit Kalmar goes this year. Missed basically the whole of last season with injury I think. I saw him play about half a game in the NYL near the end of the year and I thought he looked good. Well above that level anyway. Can play as a midfielder but can get in the box and score as well. Looks more likely than Hoffman at least.

kalmar was my favourite player in season 1 (besides sibon). He's a natural talent and has a smart football brain unlike Hoffman. It's unfortunate he was out most of the season, I just hope he gets really fit in this pre-season and is given a chance to prove himself again. Would like to see him played up front as the striker. Probably the closest thing we have to replace babalj.

Edited by heart_fan10

kalmar was my favourite player in season 1 (besides sibon). He's a natural talent and has a smart football brain unlike Hoffman. It's unfortunate he was out most of the season, I just hope he gets really fit in this pre-season and is given a chance to prove himself again. Would like to see him played up front as the striker. Probably the closest thing we have to replace babalj.

Confess I too would like to see Kalmar up front, especially as one of two central strikers if we were to play with a front line of four rather than three. He's tall and not easily knocked off the ball. Like to see Aloisi think about this in the pre-season.

Last year was really bad luck for Kalmar.

Above all else the guy needed mins on the park to work on his fitness and sadly injury prevented him from being able to do so.

The guy had a lot of ability but he needs to show he demonstrate ability for longer periods of time on the pitch.

Hopefully he can have a really solid Pre-Season and do so.

• 3 weeks later...

As of 27 June 2012, with the announced signing of Patrick Gerhardt:

Coach - John Aloisi

Assistant Coach - ?

Goal Keeping Coach - Peter Zois

Youth Coach - ?

-------------------- Williams--------------------------

Germano---------------------------------Dugandzic

-----------Thompson--------Fred-----------------

---------------------Gerhardt------------------------

Behich------Good--------Colosimo----Marrone

------------------ Bolton (GK)-----------------

Bench: Hamill, Hoffman, Kalmar,Redmayne (GK)

Unused players - ?

Finally enough players officially signed to field a full side including subs

As of 27 June 2012, with the announced signing of Patrick Gerhardt:

Coach - John Aloisi

Assistant Coach - ?

Youth Coach - ?

Bench: Hamill, Hoffman, Kalmar,Redmayne (GK)

Unused players - ?

Finally enough players officially signed to field a full side including subs

As it stands that is our strongest squad, well at least on paper... one more quality cb, midfielder and cf should see this team competitive! Biggest unknown will be how we perform under JA...

Edited by MHFC-FAN

ToRN, for the sake of all forumites, can you please post your team the right way around. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion, however, the conventional way of showing a formation is with the GK at the bottom and the striker at the top. This puts the left sided players on the left of the page, and the right on the right. This is also the way that the majority detail formations (Google Image search soccer formations)....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation_(association_football)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football_positions

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/choosing-a-formation-in-soccer.html

• Like 4

Whichever way you put it down, we won't win the A-League with this team. Seems to me we're still way underdone in terms of proven firepower up front. IMO three of our last 5 signings need to be strikers with a history of actually scoring.

And with just three months to go there's an urgent need to get these coaching positions fixed and get the coaches on the Latrobe playing fields actually drilling the squad. This appointment process has taken far too long and is close to being beyond a joke.

If you watch the Gerhardt vid on the World Game there is a shot of Gerhardt and Germano seeming to me to be lining up as two defensive Mids as JA is talking to them. It is quite possible that the midfield will end up being

------------------------Fred-----------------

----------Gerhardt----------Germano --------------

maybe we'll play a 442 diamond. we did it a few times last season. the full backs provide the width and play more attacking roles while the DM slots into a back three for cover.

---------------------*New CF-----------------------

---------------------------Dugandzic---------------

------------------------Fred------------------------

--------Germano-----------------Thompson-----

----------------------Gerhadt----------------------

--Behich----Colosimo-----Good-----Marrone--

-----------------------Bolton----------------------

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion, however, the conventional way of showing a formation is with the GK at the bottom and the striker at the top. This puts the left sided players on the left of the page, and the right on the right. This is also the way that the majority detail formations (Google Image search soccer formations)....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation_(association_football)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football_positions

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/choosing-a-formation-in-soccer.html

0NZO4.gif

• Like 1

As of 2nd July 2012, with the announced signings of Golgol Mehbratu & Steven Gray:

Coach - John Aloisi

Assistant Coach - ?

Youth Coach - ?

Bench: Hamill, Mehbratu, Kalmar,Redmayne (GK)

Unused players - Hoffman, Gray

Edited by Torn Asunder

As of 2nd July 2012, with the announced signings of Golgol Mehbratu & Steven Gray:

Coach - John Aloisi

Assistant Coach - ?

Youth Coach - ?

FFS this thread should remain dead until u can name a CF who might one day score a (Non Penalty/Massive Deflection) goal for Melbourne Heart.

FFS this thread should remain dead until u can name a CF who might one day score a (Non Penalty/Massive Deflection) goal for Melbourne Heart.

Coach - John Aloisi

Assistant Coach - ?

Youth Coach - ?

------------------Torn Asunder-------------------

Instead of hypothetical first 11's, what about looking at the current list according to where players will play.

GK: Bolton, Redmayne.

No problems there.

Defenders: Marrone, Colosimo, Hamill, Good (?), Gray, Behich.

Looks good. We have depth and a good mix of youth and experience. An injury free and happier Colosimo should have a better year also. Might need to replace Good if he leaves.

Midfielders: Gerhardt, Thompson, Germano, Fred, Kalmar.

Need one or two more midfielders for at least some depth. Thompson and Germano are versatile enough to play a variety of roles, so not worried about whether they're attacking or defensive mids.

Forwards: Dugandzic, Williams, Golgol, Hoffman.

The area of obvious need. Need two good signings with at least one of them a proven goal scoring no.9.

I don't think I'm saying anything new here, but I think it just makes the strengths and weaknesses of our squad a bit clearer.

• Like 2

Gerhardt should be able to play as a defender as required. On paper the defence looks solid.

Midfield short of sufficient creativity to create enough goal-scoring opportunities. Just can't rely on Fred for a full 90 minutes and a full season. IMO two creative midfielders are a must.

As you say, lacking firepower up front. TBH I think we need three signings here.

Which is going to take us to 22 players in the senior squad. I can't see that we are going to be a real threat otherwise.

Edit: Just seen HeartFan's post. We're all on the same songsheet really.

Edited by jw1739

Gerhardt should be able to play as a defender as required. On paper the defence looks solid.

Midfield short of sufficient creativity to create enough goal-scoring opportunities. Just can't rely on Fred for a full 90 minutes and a full season. IMO two creative midfielders are a must.

As you say, lacking firepower up front. TBH I think we need three signings here.

Which is going to take us to 22 players in the senior squad. I can't see that we are going to be a real threat otherwise.

Edit: Just seen HeartFan's post. We're all on the same songsheet really.

Yeah, lets enter the season with 0 recognised left wingers and 9 midfielders (+2 quality AM, Fred, Gerhardt, Thompson, Germano, Kalmar, Mebrahtu, Hoffman).

Gerhardt was signed as a Defensive Mid who can play at CB - just like Marrone was recruited as a RB who can play in the middle and Hamill the CB who can play as a DM.

JD said we would enter the season with 20 fit players, and we are currently at 17. Those 3 spots will be used on a '9', a '10' and a LW (+ a CB if Good leaves).

We have only Spent $1.6m of the $2.48m cap, but they will save some room (at least $200k) for any mid season signings and it won't hurt with 'breaking even'.

However a big plus is that the youth squad will be like another 15 fringe/squad players who will be training with the seniors week in, week out. So guys like Groenwald, and Jeremy Walker can make a bigger impression and much better transition.

Edited by LR9

How is Golgol a midfielder? I'll admit, I'm no expert on the guy, but everything I've read says he's been recruited as a striker or winger. From Aloisi: "We want fast mobile players up front, and he suits the way we want to play football."

And I know Hoffman has been played as a midfielder, but I just don't think it's his bag.

Instead of hypothetical first 11's, what about looking at the current list according to where players will play.

GK: Bolton, Redmayne.

No problems there.

Defenders: Marrone, Colosimo, Hamill, Good (?), Gray, Behich.

Looks good. We have depth and a good mix of youth and experience. An injury free and happier Colosimo should have a better year also. Might need to replace Good if he leaves.

Midfielders: Gerhardt, Thompson, Germano, Fred, Kalmar.

Need one or two more midfielders for at least some depth. Thompson and Germano are versatile enough to play a variety of roles, so not worried about whether they're attacking or defensive mids.

Forwards: Dugandzic, Williams, Golgol, Hoffman.

The area of obvious need. Need two good signings with at least one of them a proven goal scoring no.9.

I don't think I'm saying anything new here, but I think it just makes the strengths and weaknesses of our squad a bit clearer.

Great post.

My ideal -

----------------------Bolton---------------------

Marrone-- Good/Gray--Colosimo--Behich

----------Gerhardt-------Hamill/Germano---

----------------------Fred-----------------------

Dugandzic-------New 9---GolGol/Germano

Bench: Redmayne; Gray/Hamill; Thompson; Kalmar

Edited by biancorosso7

• 2 weeks later...

--------------------Bolton--------------

Marrone--Colosimo---Gray---Behich

----------------Gerhardt---------------

-----------Fred--------Germano------

Dugandzic-----Tadic------Thompson

Bench: Redmayne, Hamill, Mebrahtu, Kalmar

That's how it's looking at the moment (assuming that Good is definitely gone). Let's hope we sign a quality AM, LW and another quality striker to top off the squad. Hopefully Hamill stays, and JD nails these last few aussie signings

That's how it's looking at the moment (assuming that Good is definitely gone). Let's hope we sign a quality AM, LW and another quality striker to top off the squad. Hopefully Hamill stays, and JD nails these last few aussie signings

Yeah nice one, defs don't need another CB...

Wouldn't be surprised to see Germano line up on one of the wings with Mate on the other side. While Mate was on Olyroo duty and Germano was pushed out wide he excelled, very good delivery on his crosses and worked up and down the flank all game.

With Gerhardt coming in as a genuine defensive midfielder we may again see the best of Thommo as a box to box midfielder offering a goalscoring threat and allowing Fred to pull the strings in midfield with more defensive protection.

Pretty pleased with our squad this season and think if Tadic and Gerhardt are the genuine article then we have a much improved squad from last season and will again be a genuine top 4 prospect.

• Like 2

Yeah nice one, defs don't need another CB...

don't think it's necessary if we have 2 experienced CB's and 1 inexperienced CB.

In this league it's very hard to cover every position with quality. The problem last season was not that we didn't have enough CB's, it was we didn't have enough experience in that position. This seaso we'll have plenty of experience, and if needed, Gerhardt can also play in defense with Germano to cover him at DM

Others may not see it the same way, but I get the feeling that in signings such as Gray, Gerhardt and now Tadic we're putting together a squad that has more experience in the sort of football played in the A-League and that we're going to be a little tougher mentally than in previous seasons. I suspect that JA is a more pragmatic coach than Jv$ and is more conscious of the need to win more matches.

I suspect that JA is a more pragmatic coach than Jv$ and is more conscious of the need to win more matches.

Agree. I'm really liking JA as a manager so far. Saying the right things, making the right moves. I can't really flaw him on anything except for the amount of time it's taking to rebuild the squad. But we're just under three months away from the start of the season and we haven't even started pre-season games so it's not that big of a concern if we sign 2-3 players in the next fortnight.

-----------Fred--------Germano------

Dugandzic-----Tadic------Thompson

Bench: Redmayne, Hamill, Mebrahtu, Kalmar

Pretty much agree with this. I think it's what JA will use, and it looks like a very impressive team to me.

I'm tipping Hamill to go. I also think Williams will be useful this season. So my slightly differing XI would be:

-----------Fred--------Thompson-----

Dugandzic-----Tadic------Williams

Bench: Redmayne, Germano, Mebrahtu, Kalmar

Mebrahtu could be subbed on for Williams (I reckon Mebrahtu could be a really effective impact player), Kalmar could cover Fred/Williams and Germano could replace Gerhardt (Gerhardt could also cover Colosimo/Gray).

We'd need 4 more players (assuming both Good and Hamill are sold) to reach the minimum amount of players that can form an A-League team. We'd also have no Visa spots left, so all 4 signings would have to be Aussies. IMO we should sign:

- a striker (I think promoting Zac Walker could be a very good move. I reckon Walker and maybe Williams should provide enough cover for the the striker role)

- an AM

- a winger

- a CB

Assuming nearly all players are fit for most of the season, I think the squad is shaping up to have a very strong season.

Did I just witness a squad listed with Germano on the bench, that should be banworthy.

The guy is probably one of our most solid reliable players. He might not be flashy and always in the spotlight, but he rarely loses the ball and always positions himself well on the park and busts his gut while he's out there. Would be one of my first names on the teamsheet every single week.

in my opinoin, in order to get our best players on the park we should play a 4-1-2-1-2 (or 4-4-2 diamond)

-----------------------Tadic--------------------------

---------------------------Dugandzic---------------

------------------------Fred--------------------------

--------Germano-----------------Thompson-----

----------------------Gerhadt------------------------

--Behich----Colosimo----Good----Marrone--

-----------------------Bolton------------------------

• Like 1

If that makes any sense at all... :P

Thomo to play more as a LAM, allowing Behich to overlap where he is most effective. Thomo has played as a left back for the Socceroos so he has the quality to drop back when Behich goes forward, and Germano can offer cover if there is a break, as well as being able to go forward when needed.

Marrone does not usually advance to far, so this will allow Gerhard to play a little more central with Behich/Germano/Thomo advancing.

We all know Dugandzic's role and a fit Thomo and Fred will only make him stronger, with a few more assists coming off his boot in the form of Tadic hopefully putting a few of those crosses/through balls away.

Mebrahtu can come on late at LW for Fred (e.g.), switching Thomo to CAM, etc. Kalmar and Hoff can also cover for Fred/Thomo too.

We definitely need a few depth/squad players a winger, a forward, a versatile defender and a versetile mid.

In all honesty, I would just promote 3 of Groenwald, J.Walker, Z.Walker, Patterson, Petreski, KK, on minimum wage and spend the rest of the kitty on a starting 11 quality Aussie in one of those 4 positions, we could only dream of Bresch.

post-822-0-31127500-1342268750_thumb.jpg

at this stage, that's pretty much the formation and starting 11 that i think Aloisi would select (4-3-3 with thompson out more on the left). The only thing i'd say is i doubt he's going to take his captain (fred) off unless he is injured (or we're winning comfortably), so Mebrahtu would just be a straight swap with Thompson on left wing.

Obviously this could change depending on the quality of the next few signings, which will hopefully be finalised in the next week or so.

EDIT: I know we've played a 4-4-2 before, but every time we play that, the '4' in the midfield are technically all central players which depending on who we're playing, may not be the best option as we tend to lose our width which IMO is one of our greatest strengths with players such as Marrone, Behich, Dugandzic and Mebrahtu

Edited by heart_fan10