Melbourne Football

2019 FFA Cup final - Adelaide away

mattyh001

1 minute ago, playmaker said:

While I agree with you, you have to keep in mind that if the opposition is playing a wide defensive counter and your FBs positioning  them in the middle of the pitch is asking for trouble. 

But I suppose we were forcing by that stage and the team was a shambles as you have already stated.

Any tactical adjustment would have been compromised at that stage. Remember this type of psychological collapse happens to great teams, The UCL Champions League Finals AC Milan v Liverpool and Bayern v Man U (I think) come to mind. It just happens regularly to our team and it's a big factor in why we've never become a great team

15 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Any tactical adjustment would have been compromised at that stage. Remember this type of psychological collapse happens to great teams, The UCL Champions League Finals AC Milan v Liverpool and Bayern v Man U (I think) come to mind. It just happens regularly to our team and it's a big factor in why we've never become a great team

The A league doesn’t do significant tactical adjustments during the game. 

Edited by Mr MO

On 24/10/2019 at 12:58 PM, Mr MO said:

The A league doesn’t do significant tactical adjustments during the game. 

Perhaps, but anyone watching the League match against Adelaide would have seen that we were frequently exposed on their wings - I recall Galloway in particular being exposed down Adelaide's left wing in the first half.

If we didn't do anything different in the Cup Final then it was highly unlikely that we would be successful.

Our coaching team should have seen the obvious weakness and rectified it. It irks me that we keep crapping on about the "City way" - that only works in Manchester because of the squillions spent on players.