Melbourne Football

2019 FFA Cup final - Adelaide away

mattyh001

Now that was a fucking miserable shit show.

Bouzanis disastrous game, Delbribge got out muscled by some skinny prick, and our midfield was just shit. Brillante couldn't control shit, Metcalfe did fuck all, absolute debacle. 

Mr Warmfarts (thanks @HeartFc ) has got a massive job ahead of him.

These fuckers should start walking to Geelong, they should all be ashamed of themselves. 

• Like 2

A big thanks to Matt, Renee and especially Jo for being so welcoming to me, i flew over myself and they were especially kind to me throughout the day!  We were smashed on the pitch but I did appreciate the nice touch. Let’s hope we genuinely step it up in the league, tonight was a shocker! SHT 

• Like 5

I genuinely don't think we had a winner on the pitch tonight 

Bouzanis was awful

Good and Delbridge were pretty poor. From what I've seen Windbichler has to start every game next to Delbridge 

Luna, Metcalfe, Noone and maclaren were invisible for most of game 

Wales at least tried something when he had ball, but his passing and shooting were atrocious 

Brillante was ok I thought, but the got through middle of pitch easily at times. He has played with o'neill at Sydney, I think he needs a defensive partner in midfield. Probably Griffiths 

Galloway and Jamo were both beaten as well, and had goals scored by direct winger

It could be a long way back from this if we don't recover quick 

I'm actually not surprised that we lost, although the comprehensiveness of the defeat is very disappointing. TBH we got away with three points on Sunday that we didn't really deserve. Maybe my forecast that we will finish 7th won't be too far wrong after all.

Not the end of the world, and I don't think we should let tonight define our season. However, we are going to have to address some of the issues with the squad. For example, Bouzanis has let us down so many time before I just don't understand why he's first choice - not picking on him, but he's an example of where we go wrong.

We have to cop it, dust ourselves down, and move on. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, citypool said:

It was disappointing but everyone should remember it’s only rd 2 we have started off well don’t give up on the club yet 

Fuck round 2, we just got destroyed in a cup final.  We probably won't get another crack for a few years.

We not only lost but we got embarrassed,  absolute joke. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Fuck round 2, we just got destroyed in a cup final.  We probably won't get another crack for a few years.

We not only lost but we got embarrassed,  absolute joke. 

Spot on, that was a humiliation - I’m hoping the players and club as a whole are professional enough that this doesn’t start a bad run in the league that derails our whole season

29 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Good loss, to be expected seeing that our young players aren't up to the standard, our midfield got slaughtered, Luna out of position,  and Metcalfe a ghost. Wales should never be allowed to be on the pitch again and nothing off the bench.

We have big big problems in our midfield with the absence of Florin and Mombaets has his work cut out getting some mojo into this club.

Special mention to Jamieson, I am not his greatest fan but credit where credit is due, good game.

Luna out of position?

A very poor performance by every single player, in every aspect of the game.

Positives:

Negatives:

Competitive until we conceded the first goal and totally disintegrated, lost all shape, no movement, second to every ball, poor passing, no press, no pressure.

Maclaren nullified by being double or triple teamed, you wouldn't have known that that left 2 players free, totally timid, reactive performance.

All visas poor.

Repeated individual errors by every player

Adelaide passed through lines and behind the defence at will

No desire to win.

McGree revenge for Wazza wasting 2 years of his career development

Adelaide have demonstrated a template for every team to leat us this season, can we react?

Edited by belaguttman

FMD. What a shambolic disaster that was. Mombaerts outcoached and now 9 other coaches would have taken a clue from that.

The players? by the 60 minute mark City did not have a single winner. MOTM? none. I noticed that people have it in for Wales but at least he kept running and touching the ball whereas in contrast Luna did what? even when he took the kick outside the penalty box that was a screw up. Brillante? He touched the ball but did nothing creative with it. Metcalfe was good for the first 5 minutes before he disappeared.

How will Mombaerts turn this around?

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

What’s the theory Heart?

Timid "nice guy" imports are shit and can't adapt. The cunt types just grind and grind away and have the confidence to just go for it. Their disagreeable personality drives their egos and ability to show they have the fortitude to make it. Its no different to the business world. 

Examples:

Colazo, Budzinski, Florin,  Koren, Mifsud, Tadic. So far: Cabrera, Luna. All MASSIVE failures.

Cunts: Brandan, De Laet, Novillo, Bort, Ross, Bruno. 

• Like 1

I had work during this game so I missed it and based on the scoreline and analysis, I'm just gonna pretend it never happened. 

Bring on Western United away, and let's all get down to Geelong to support the club and make a proper derby out of it.

7 minutes ago, Nate said:

I had work during this game so I missed it and based on the scoreline and analysis, I'm just gonna pretend it never happened. 

Bring on Western United away, and let's all get down to Geelong to support the club and make a proper derby out of it.

What club? It's a fucking circus 

9 hours ago, HeartFc said:

Timid "nice guy" imports are shit and can't adapt. The cunt types just grind and grind away and have the confidence to just go for it. Their disagreeable personality drives their egos and ability to show they have the fortitude to make it. Its no different to the business world. 

Examples:

Colazo, Budzinski, Florin,  Koren, Mifsud, Tadic. So far: Cabrera, Luna. All MASSIVE failures.

Cunts: Brandan, De Laet, Novillo, Bort, Ross, Bruno. 

What makes de laet, novillo, bort, Ross and Bruno cunts? Unless you have a cunt detector

Cup final away is always going to be tough. We went for it when we were 2-0 down so I don’t care for the margin. 

What does concern me is our shape. We essentially had a line of five because the fullbacks and Brillante were so deep. Their 4231 gave them control in the centre of midfield and enough width to seriously cause problems. They abandoned the centre and went wide. McGree was dominant. He went wherever the ball was without much attention. 

Luna wasn’t good but not many were. Defensively he’s poor and just seems way off it. Berenguer will slot right back in at this rate. 

Bouzanis was ordinary. Got beat at the near post when that should’ve been covered. Not convinced he could’ve got that through ball for their second but for a keeper who plays off his line he probably should’ve been positioned to get there. Delbridge getting beaten in that duel was awful defending and left us badly exposed.

Need to put this behind us and move on. 

The problem was the CFG inverted fullback tactics. When the opposition have fast wingers our fullbacks have to stay wide.

All Adelaide did was block our midfield and break on the wings where our fullbacks were too narrow to cover, then the opposition cut inside and we were out numbered.

Even when we attacked our wings have no support because our fullbacks were too central.

Looking forward, Mombaets needs to remedy our midfield problems asap.

Also our style of play is way too taxing on our players for this level and we saw that our players were spent by the 60th minute.

FFA cup or not, there are a lot of things to think about TBH.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, citypool said:

What makes de laet, novillo, bort, Ross and Bruno cunts? Unless you have a cunt detector

I'll rephrase 'cunt' coz its a little hyperbolic. All those guys have strong personalities which contribute to their gritty presence on the pitch. It seems those types of personalities cope better in unknown and adverse situations. The "nice guys" seem to fall apart and they lose confidence quickly, thus digging a bigger hole.

The list of players speak for themselves. I'm surprise City has picked up on it. 

Edited by HeartFc

35 minutes ago, playmaker said:

The problem was the CFG inverted fullback tactics. When the opposition have fast wingers our fullbacks have to stay wide.

All Adelaide did was block our midfield and break on the wings where our fullbacks were too narrow to cover, then the opposition cut inside and we were out numbered.

Even when we attacked our wings have no support because our fullbacks were too central.

Looking forward, Mombaets needs to remedy our midfield problems asap.

Also our style of play is way too taxing on our players for this level and we saw that our players were spent by the 60th minute.

FFA cup or not, there are a lot of things to think about TBH.

Not sure I think that we got destroyed because of a CFG inverted fullback tactic. We basically lost in my opinion was down to basic poor individuals errors, and all of them defensive individual errors. 

The first was Bouzanis, as a keeper you can't speculate, you must cover 1st any chance of a shot and then maybe look at making an interception (this occasion a cross), to be beaten from that angle and distance is all down to keeper error.

Second Delbribge got tangled up and was skinned way too easily, not sure Bouzanis could have made it but for me the fault lies solely with Delbribge. 

Neither 2 goals are in way attributed to tactics or formation, they could have occurred with 4,3 or even 5 at the back. 

At 2:0 we were pretty much looking down barrel, we had a glimmer when Noone missed a very get able chance just past the penalty spot, and not even on target. He scores we got a chance,  but then we copped the 3rd which of all the goals was down to a collective poor shape and probably the closed thing to your premise but we were chasing a goal and were looking terrible (shape wise).

I don't think this loss was down to tactics for me it was all down to mental weakness and under pressure we again failed to execute and made crucial fundamental errors.

I agree with you, there is alot to think about and more to actually come up with solutions to last nights catastrophic performance. 

• Like 3

Totally agree.

My point about the inverted fullbacks is that the structure is inherently weak against fast wide breaks and that 2nd goal was a great example of how our defender got beaten and the wide player was free to break.

Anyway let's see what Mombaets does as I can see this weakness being exploited effectively during the season.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Totally agree.

My point about the inverted fullbacks is that the structure is inherently weak against fast wide breaks and that 2nd goal was a great example of how our defender got beaten and the wide player was free to break.

Anyway let's see what Mombaets does as I can see this weakness being exploited effectively during the season.

Jamieson had pushed up for that second goal. Unfortunately Noone lost possession near the corner and Jamieson wasn’t getting back quickly enough. Then Delbridge was beaten badly and Good couldn’t track McGree. It was poor all round but I’m confident they can learn from that. 

Edited by Harrison

30 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Totally agree.

Every formation and tactic has strengths and vulnerabilities. What I saw though was a team that fell apart after conceding the first goal and that wasn't competitive in any position for the remainder of the match. That's a seperate problem from tactics and formation. We lost our shape, we were second to most balls, lost almost every 1 on 1 contest for the remainder of the game

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Every formation and tactic has strengths and vulnerabilities. What I saw though was a team that fell apart after conceding the first goal and that wasn't competitive in any position for the remainder of the match. That's a seperate problem from tactics and formation. We lost our shape, we were second to most balls, lost almost every 1 on 1 contest for the remainder of the game

Bang on. 

10 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Agree but then it comes down to individual quality

In a way, it's similar to what happened in the semi-final against Jets when McGree scored with his scorpion kick. As a City fan, I can just tell from the body language that the game has been lost from that point

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

Agree but then it comes down to individual quality

Individual quality and team mentality, it's the group process that has always been the team's problem, Erick needs to solve that problem

18 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

While I agree with you, you have to keep in mind that if the opposition is playing a wide defensive counter and you position your FBs  in the middle of the pitch you are asking for trouble. 

But I suppose we were forcing by that stage and the team was a shambles as you have already stated.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1