Melbourne Football

Computers

FB.

and i picked this up for less than what i would have spent on an upgrade.

Really?Do not believe.

Don't buy from centercom, while most computer stores are dodgy, centercom takes it to another level. Believe me, I know people that have worked there, they do all sorts of dodgy shit, wouldn't trust anything from them. Id buy a cheap laptop from one of the big Companies and price match it. If there are any issues with it, its much easier to get a replacement or repair Edited by Dylan

As for not believing me, Tes.

Given my background, I wouldn't blame you normally... Although I digress in this instance and in-fact every other instance that we've delt.

The factors that you may or may not have taken into account are as follows:

The G73sw is second hand and its a gamers spec. Originally gave a lower spec ssd. Sold the lower spec ssd for more than. Its worth and reinstated my one that was in the PC.

Basically, I asked myself 'what would Tes do'. Lol

I wouldn't buy a brand new lap top. The value depreciation is greater than an aging female.

I think it's fair to say laptops and most other electronic gadgets are pretty much disposable items these days.

Technology is moving too fast for them to hold value.

Even ithings after 3+ years are almost worthless (still using iphone 4 here)

I wouldn't buy a brand new lap top. The value depreciation is greater than an aging female.

I think it's fair to say laptops and most other electronic gadgets are pretty much disposable items these days.

Technology is moving too fast for them to hold value.

Even ithings after 3+ years are almost worthless (still using iphone 4 here)

I'm still on an S3. Love doing it this way as you really notice when you upgrade.

• Like 1

Btw I'm thinking about this.....mainly general use and photo editing ..... Any comments?

Apple MacBook Pro 13" with Retina Display 2.7GHz 256GB

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/apple/apple-macbook-pro-13-with-retina-display-2-7ghz-256gb/697047/

If 13" isn't too small for you and that price is in your budget go for it.

There are often 10% sales on these, but only ever 10%, Apple doesnt let them do more.

Btw I'm thinking about this.....mainly general use and photo editing ..... Any comments?Apple MacBook Pro 13" with Retina Display 2.7GHz 256GBhttps://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/apple/apple-macbook-pro-13-with-retina-display-2-7ghz-256gb/697047/

If 13" isn't too small for you and that price is in your budget go for it.There are often 10% sales on these, but only ever 10%, Apple doesnt let them do more. 256G storage only wtf plus small screen.

15inch model starts at 3k

Bloodthirsty apple

• 2 weeks later...

I want to upgrade my laptop. I use it mainly for posting on forums, cruising alot of YouTube, and torrenting. Despite these activities not really requiring ridiculous performance, a fast, smoothly-running PC is something of great value for me.

The 6-Cell battery is cooked. Lasts about 8 minutes and I get a warning my system is underpowered when it's not plugged into the wall.

It's a 2008 spec Dell XPS M1330

Running Vista 32-Bit

T8100 @ 2.1 GHz

2 GB RAM (I think it's DDR2, but not positive)
250 GB HDD

The one upgrade I NEED is:

-New 9-cell battery (about $100 for a genuine new Dell part, about half that for cheap shit out of Hong Kong)

The upgrades I'm still deciding on are:
-upgrade to Windows 7 64-Bit (I already own a copy so would be free if done myself)

-solid-state hard drive (expensive)

-More RAM (cheap)

-Better CPU (cheapish)

Thoughts? I'm willing to spend about $500 if it gets me another year or two.

not sure how much luck you're going to have upgrading a laptop cpu unless you know what you're doing (and pretty sure some cant be upgraded at all).

500$ you can probably get a better laptop anyway, especially if you already have a copy of windows.

Edited by Tesla

not sure how much luck you're going to have upgrading a laptop cpu unless you know what you're doing (and pretty sure some cant be upgraded at all).

500$ you can probably get a better laptop anyway, especially if you already have a copy of windows.

from memory Dell either glue or solder the cpu to the motherboard. 

I want to upgrade my laptop. I use it mainly for posting on forums, cruising alot of YouTube, and torrenting. Despite these activities not really requiring ridiculous performance, a fast, smoothly-running PC is something of great value for me.

The 6-Cell battery is cooked. Lasts about 8 minutes and I get a warning my system is underpowered when it's not plugged into the wall.

It's a 2008 spec Dell XPS M1330

Running Vista 32-Bit

T8100 @ 2.1 GHz

2 GB RAM (I think it's DDR2, but not positive)

250 GB HDD

The one upgrade I NEED is:

-New 9-cell battery (about $100 for a genuine new Dell part, about half that for cheap shit out of Hong Kong)

The upgrades I'm still deciding on are:

-upgrade to Windows 7 64-Bit (I already own a copy so would be free if done myself)

-solid-state hard drive (expensive)

-More RAM (cheap)

-Better CPU (cheapish)

Thoughts? I'm willing to spend about $500 if it gets me another year or two.

According to the owners manual page 166: http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_xps_laptop/xps-m1330_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

It takes up to 8Gb RAM (2x 4Gb) 667 MHz SoDIMM DDR2. I bought a generic RAM kit like this for my similar period Toshiba and it runs awesome: http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40%7CR40&_sacat=0&_nkw=667+MHz+SoDIMM+DDR2+8Gb&_sop=2

And for $149 at Scorptec: http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Hard_Drives_&_SSDs/SSD_-_2.5%22_&_PCI_Express/57903-CT250BX100SSD1

Its 7mm so it should fit in any laptop.

Theres a decent upgrade for under $250 

*EDIT*

Fucking trash Vista and put Windows 7 64-bit on there asap.

Edited by bazzatron
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...