Melbourne Football

Matchday 1: Melbourne Derby - Sat 12th October 7.30pm at Marvel Stadium

Nate

That was pretty painful. Awful place to watch football and not a great atmosphere. Very concerning that it only pulled 33k.Ā 

As to the football, we played all pre-season with Berenguer and Maclaren, so Iā€™m not too worried about that performance. The replacements did a good enough job to hold them to no goals.Ā 

Some really nice pieces of play throughout. The press looks pretty good but still some players not doing enough when itā€™s their time to close a player down. Our foreigners need to improve if we are to win the league.Ā 

9 minutes ago, Harrison said:

That was pretty painful. Awful place to watch football and not a great atmosphere. Very concerning that it only pulled 33k.Ā 

As to the football, we played all pre-season with Berenguer and Maclaren, so Iā€™m not too worried about that performance. The replacements did a good enough job to hold them to no goals.Ā 

Some really nice pieces of play throughout. The press looks pretty good but still some players not doing enough when itā€™s their time to close a player down. Our foreigners need to improve if we are to win the league.Ā 

My thoughts exactly, perhaps we can understand why Cabrera and Luna havenā€™t featured much.Ā They currentlyĀ arenā€™t the playersĀ lifting our team to another level.

Delbridge best on ground, but without Brillante keeping our midfield tidy it would have been a different result.

Iā€™m worried aboutĀ Jamieson -Ā skill, pace and game smartness, itā€™s a lacking a bit. Same a last season really.

Edited by Mr MO

Very good performances from Delbridge, CabreraĀ and the skipper.Ā 

Noone didnā€™t offer much for his efforts Ā  I think he found out quick, as a former EPL player,Ā Ā that the A-League is certainly not beneath him Ā 

City Active bays were pulled forward much closer to pitch, that reallyĀ was a plus. Ā Ā 

Their fans were rubbish, they really did only sing when they were winning ha ha ha Ā 

OK result, a good tussle....onwards and upwards Ā Ā 

Ā 

34 minutes ago, Deluka said:

How did Archie Thompson get a renewal at Fox Sports? So incoherent, really tough to listen/watch - particularly when heā€™s interviewing players.

Ye according to Archie,Ā Nabbout was struggling due to Scott Jamieson's constant talking. Huh?

He kept calling VAR, VR. I think alcoholism is catching up to him.

Ā 

I actually enjoyed that game (from the comfort of my couch at home). Fair score from 2 teams that tactically nullified each other.

Positives:

Well structured, with good movement on and off the ball. looked comfortable most of the night against a good visit0rs team.

We've come a long way in a short time from the horrible football we played under Joyce

Metcalfe Brilliante midfield looked very comfortable, as did both CBs I'm not sure how much of our Austrian CB we are going to see on the pitch for a while

Archie has obviously lost his job in Spain

Ā 

Negatives:

Commentary sounded like Victory TV., no pretence of balance

Crowd sounded flat

Not sure how we'll score without Maclaren

Both Uruguayans were somewhat underwhelming

Noone has discovered the gap in quality between NSL teams and HAL teams is bigger than he expected, he was much less of a threat

No TV interview with Le Patrone at the end of the game

Delbo was immense tonight!Ā  Bart who haha?Ā Ā 

All things considered, I think both sides cancelled each other out.Ā  Both teams had some great moments and equally some absolute shockers

Brillante needs to stop lobbing it long first time.Ā  If we lose him, I think our season is bust, lets be honest.Ā Ā 

Uruguayans were a little flat. Luna was great on the ball but he didnt see much of it. I think he will be great as the season progresses.Ā  Cabrera looked very nervous.Ā  Hopefully we can see what he can do soon.Ā Ā 

Missing Mclaren showed, simple. He wouldve put away one of wales chances.Ā Ā 

Looking forward to a great season, we can only get better.Ā 

• Like 1

Would've won tonight if had Maclaren, he is the difference between us winning and losing games because unfortunately we don't have another striker that can finish.

May have been a bit of a boring game but fuck in glad sokkah is back ā¤ļø

Edited by kingofhearts

Lots of positives from me. Feels like a different team to last year.Ā 

I sat up high and had an all 22 view of the game and I thought the energy and drive in midfield was excellent. I can't remember so many early through passes being played like they were tonight. We also looked fitter and sharper than Victory and only mental lapses let them into the game.

We really need a target man and I think the lack of one affected Noone's play. He definitely is a step up in class and poses an immediate threat on goal from his wing play, gets into scoring positions often, maybe he gets tangled in his decision making because of a lack of target man and takes that extra dribble as a result.

He should haveĀ scored or passedĀ to a trailer in that 4 on 2 attack, I was pretty confident that was the chance of the game.

Dellbridge was so strong and reliable and by gosh we even got him involved charging into that penalty area at times trying to offer us something in the air; if only we could switch him up as a striker ever now and then!

Brillante great effort, such a hard worker and very smart positioning, he had a free role being the link man between attack and defence and used his savvy to help out the team. If he was a bit more an athletic runner he would be out of this league for sure. Ā At times he was shadowed by the plucky Dobras but I felt he led him to the ball more often than not.

The Uruguayan duo out on the right were actually quite constructive, and very oftenĀ formed a little web of their own when hooking up with a third player. They definitely can add to the chemistry of this team and offer a nice counterbalance in style to the play on the left with Noone and Metcalfe.

The negatives for me were the lapses in concentration at the back and looking a little clunky when the wingbacks were caught out of positionĀ overplayingĀ the ball. Nabbout and Kamsoba got to the byline on way too many occasions for my liking.Ā MO's comments about game smartness at this position are spot on, Ā but bear in mind at this levelĀ both Jamieson and Galloway are good enough to get the job done, they just got to tidy it up.Ā 

Not quite good enough for that elusive goal but lots of positives to build on.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

Just happy to get through without losing.Ā  Can never read too much into Round 1 I think. Although I think that Brillante and Metcalf could become a partnership on the same level of O'Neil and Brillante. Thats going to be a very good thing if that happens

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Originalmeme said:

Delbo was immense tonight!Ā  Bart who haha?Ā Ā 

All things considered, I think both sides cancelled each other out.Ā  Both teams had some great moments and equally some absolute shockers

Brillante needs to stop lobbing it long first time.Ā  If we lose him, I think our season is bust, lets be honest.Ā Ā 

Uruguayans were a little flat. Luna was great on the ball but he didnt see much of it. I think he will be great as the season progresses.Ā  Cabrera looked very nervous.Ā  Hopefully we can see what he can do soon.Ā Ā 

Missing Mclaren showed, simple. He wouldve put away one of wales chances.Ā Ā 

Looking forward to a great season, we can only get better.Ā 

One goal would have been enough to win the match and Macca is generally good for one goal.Ā 

Ā 

Didn't see the match, but IMO a point away from home in the first match of the season is a good result, irrespective of who we are playing. We didn't come away empty-handed, and we denied Victory two points that they might well have grabbed at the death based on our past history. In a 26-match season all the more important.

From a League perspective however, IMO it was a waste of a derby to hold it in Round 1. No momentum in the League or in the two clubs involved. The crowd figure told that story.

I feel we could have won this game with a couple of tweaks in the forward line. By that I mean swapping over Noone and Luna, so that they could be coming inside on their stronger foot and may have been able to get some shots on target, especially has we had no forward in there to hit with crosses. We definitely were the stronger team in the second half. This enabled Metcalfe to get forward more, just a shame he couldnā€™t have connected better with his shots. Overall, I was happy with the performance and the point. I just think it is ridiculous that games are played when internationals are on. It weakens teams and the bestĀ match going fan loses out by not seeing the best players on the field.

Edited by silva10
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 11:10 PM, Originalmeme said:

Delbo was immense tonight!Ā  Bart who haha?Ā  Ā Agree, he was consistently good last season and is continuing the same form. Could make it to club legendĀ šŸ˜‰

All things considered, I think both sides cancelled each other out.Ā  Both teams had some great moments and equally some absolute shockersĀ  This is kind of to be expected in the first few rounds. Just again shows that derbies should be scheduled a few games into the season.

Brillante needs to stop lobbing it long first time.Ā  If we lose him, I think our season is bust, lets be honest.Ā  I think the tactic of pushing forward using long passes to bypass the midfield is what's required - to be used as required. Brillante was very good and he's been a shrewd pickup.

Uruguayans were a little flat. Luna was great on the ball but he didnt see much of it. I think he will be great as the season progresses.Ā  Cabrera looked very nervous.Ā  Hopefully we can see what he can do soon.Ā  TheĀ Uruguayans haven't lit up the league yet. Hope so but maybe they've found that our crappy little HAL is a little more difficult than they first thought.

Missing Mclaren showed, simple. He wouldve put away one of wales chances.Ā  And Najjar's chance would have at least tested the goalie not screwed into row Z. A shot reminiscent of Willo in his heydays!

Looking forward to a great season, we can only get better. Agree.

Ā 

Edited by HEARTinator

On 12/10/2019 at 10:36 PM, belaguttman said:

I actually enjoyed that game (from the comfort of my couch at home). Fair score from 2 teams that tactically nullified each other.

Positives:

Well structured, with good movement on and off the ball. looked comfortable most of the night against a good visit0rs team.

We've come a long way in a short time from the horrible football we played under Joyce

Metcalfe Brilliante midfield looked very comfortable, as did both CBs I'm not sure how much of our Austrian CB we are going to see on the pitch for a while

Archie has obviously lost his job in Spain

Ā 

Negatives:

Commentary sounded like Victory TV., no pretence of balance

Crowd sounded flat

Not sure how we'll score without Maclaren

Both Uruguayans were somewhat underwhelming

Noone has discovered the gap in quality between NSL teams and HAL teams is bigger than he expected, he was much less of a threat

No TV interview with Le Patrone at the end of the game

Commentary kept mentioning the fact Victory didnt have Kruse or Haagland so victory were severally undermanned. We just didnt have Mclaren for national duties but that was expected lol. Not one mention of our marquee CB who was in the K-League TOTY last season who didnt play though. Archie can hardly string a sentence together

2 minutes ago, DukeVader said:

Commentary kept mentioning the fact Victory didnt have Kruse or Haagland so victory were severally undermanned. We just didnt have Mclaren for national duties but that was expected lol. Not one mention of our marquee CB who was in the K-League TOTY last season who didnt play though. Archie can hardly string a sentence together

The level of commentary alone was the most compelling reason to attend the game

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DukeVader said:

Arenā€™t weĀ overestimatingĀ Windy a bit here? marquee CB standard?Ā He failed to get time in Europe last season and barely played, didnā€™t secure a contract in the lower EU leagues. TimeĀ with Ulsan was only one season andĀ several seasons back.

Good back up but he wonā€™t start ahead of Delbridge and Good as it currently stands.

Edited by Mr MO

7 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Arenā€™t weĀ overestimatingĀ Windy a bit here? IĀ marquee CB standard?Ā He failed to get time in Europe last season and barely played, didnā€™t secure a contract in the lower EU leagues. TimeĀ with Ulsan was only one season andĀ several seasons back.

Good back up but he wonā€™t start ahead of Delbridge and Good as it currently stands.

I probably am tbh. All i know is he was in the K-League toty recently unless im wrong? Gotta be half decent player to manage that.Ā  But you wouldn't say Kruse is daylights ahead of him to not even mention him. Just trying to point out the commentary does me and maybe Archie should stick to non victory games

31 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Windbichler was playing very regularly for Ulsan until November 2018. He was with them for two years (Jan 2017 to Jan 2019). Played in the AFC Champions League, and actually twice against Victory in that competition scoring twice, once against Victory.

Ah okay, Wiki said his contract expired in December 2018 with Ulsan. I donā€™t think he played much after that, 5 matches in 1.5 years?Ā Anyway all I wanted to point out that with the current form of Delbridge and Good that we arenā€™t any weaker.