Melbourne Football

Matchday 1: Melbourne Derby - Sat 12th October 7.30pm at Marvel Stadium

Nate

1 hour ago, neio said:

Is there an olyroos under 23s game in this international break? Cause if there is we can probably ask for game to be postponed with having Maclaren, Wales, Atkinson, Glover, Metcalfe, Genreau and possibly Najjarine missing

Jesus, makes you even wonder why FFA scheduled the opening round like this.

1 hour ago, neio said:

Is there an olyroos under 23s game in this international break? Cause if there is we can probably ask for game to be postponed with having Maclaren, Wales, Atkinson, Glover, Metcalfe, Genreau and possibly Najjarine missing

I think the next lot are in January.

2 hours ago, neio said:

There are NT World Cup qualifiers on 10th and 16th October. I can't find the U-23 fixtures. Typical FFA.

21 minutes ago, citypool said:

Does anyone like this as a season opener? I was mostly against it but the losing team really suffers with a loss to the rival in the opening game so it’s high stakes in a way 

No. I dislike it. IMO it would be better to let derby sides, and the League in general, build some momentum before derbies.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

" Melbourne Victory’s Migjen Basha looks set to miss the Round 1 derby due to visa issues. The Albanian was due in Melbourne last week, but remains in Europe after he was denied a tourist visa to enter Australia. There are no long term concerns about his availability  "

Add to that Kruse being AWOL and any away in the international window.....

• Like 1

We really need Cabrera to play on the right and attack them down that side. Watched them play Perth a few weeks back and Corey Brown was his usual abysmal self, but then Adama Traore came on and made Corey Brown look like Marcelo. Whichever of them plays is ripe for the picking. They do look like they've got quite a player in Poulsen, very similar to Brillante snapping into tackles and a good range of passing from deep. 

33 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

It’s hard to imagine Cabrera not starting.

I know a young player can’t develop without opportunities but at least in my view Remy didn’t do enough to hold an experienced import out of the side for a big Derby. 

If Cabrera scores then Donkey kicks an advertising board, he needs to be first name on the team sheet every week

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, neio said:

Confirmed that we have no maclaren for next week, victory had no players selected. Really shit that we lose our best player for the first game of season

They're likely to have no Kruse and no Basha by the sounds of it.
Jmac's a big out, but imo we're still better placed for the win with the amount of competitive games we've had and whats at our disposal.

Just now, kingofhearts said:

That sucks.

Who plays striker now

Najjar imo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

They're likely to have no Kruse and no Basha by the sounds of it.
Jmac's a big out, but imo we're still better placed for the win with the amount of competitive games we've had and whats at our disposal.

Najjar imo.

Would you put noone, Cabrera or even luna as a make shift striker up front?

Just not enough trust in najjar from my prospective to put him up front for such a big game

7 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Would you put noone, Cabrera or even luna as a make shift striker up front?

Just not enough trust in najjar from my prospective to put him up front for such a big game

You could, but i wouldnt and i think all the indications are that Momby isnt thinking that either.
I think Najjar is far more like for like in terms of playing the same way, and that given he has been given a lot of opportunity in the friendlies and cup that Erick is looking to him to fill the role. And personally im all for it.

3 hours ago, neio said:

Confirmed that we have no maclaren for next week, victory had no players selected. Really shit that we lose our best player for the first game of season

What happened to days where clubs just refused to release players for international duty! Who’s paying his wage! This wouldn’t happen in any other league.

Edited by Mr MO

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

What happened to days where clubs just refused to release players for international duty! Who’s paying his wage! This wouldn’t happen in any other league.

so Nabbout has slipped down the pecking order, works nicely for the tards 

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Not sure when this occurred. 

For many decades FIFA have mandated that players must be available to represent their countries if selected in competitive matches and if not they will be suspended.

Actually it would happen in every league.

Friendlies are a different matter though, so during the glory days of Oceania, European clubs would say players were “injured” and not release them. 

I recall Chipperfield and Viduka both being suspended in this manner (though I suspect the match was a friendly, perhaps vs Venezuela, so the rule may have been changed at that time).

i have a completely different view. I’m an Australian who happens to support Melbourne City. I’d reconsider my support for the club if they didn’t release players to play for Australia. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

For many decades FIFA have mandated that players must be available to represent their countries if selected in competitive matches and if not they will be suspended.

Friendlies are a different matter though, so during the glory days of Oceania, European clubs would say players were “injured” and not release them. 

I recall Chipperfield and Viduka both being suspended in this manner (though I suspect the match was a friendly, perhaps vs Venezuela, so the rule may have been changed at that time).

i have a completely different view. I’m an Australian who happens to support Melbourne City. I’d reconsider my support for the club if they didn’t release players to play for Australia. 

Reality is we want our players tested at the heighest possible level AND we have the depth to cover deficiencies in areas if need be.

Najaar is worth the start. Luna has not played striker in any pre season game. I doubt we will see it this week. Noone will stay on the wing where he is most dangerous. 

16 hours ago, Shahanga said:

It has happened in the past we are are talking years back and but the debate is very recent in Europe but you are correct it was more around the friendly games. To shut the debate and most clubs down in their argument, the UEFA invented the nations league = almost no more friendlies!

Regardles of the rules and big fines it's not really an issue in other parts of the world because there won't be any leagues who schedule round 1 at the same time as their national team is playing, it just doesn't happen.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1