Melbourne Football

2019 FFA Cup - Semi Final - Brisbane Strikers @ Perry Park

recyclosaurusrex

On 02/10/2019 at 6:20 AM, haz said:

Seems Curtis doesn't like us becoming a Mini Manchester either

Although it was f* hilarious and is now my signiture, nice to see the team get around the kid at the end.

https://www.theffacup.com.au/news/city-classy-gesture-young-fan-hit-ball-face-ffa-cup-2019-semi-final

Edited by haz

6 hours ago, Dylan said:

Well I think its pretty clear in this case. What do you want Bouzanis to do? Ask that patch of turf before making a save not to give way please?

The other problem was the defenders dropping off the Strikers player, allowing space and allowing him to move more central

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fensaddler said:

There was a time during the middle of last season when I was definitely wanting him dropped. I saw enough late on last season to suggest that he's worth persistence, and on the basis of preseason I haven't changed from that view. He's the sort of player who is capable of being crap and brilliant within minutes of each other. 

Geez I just gotta ask...when has he been 'brilliant'? For e.g. Brunos bycicle kick against Perth, that's brilliant for me.  I've seen him do some quality stuff but I'm scratching my head to think of actual brilliance compared to that level of brilliance. 

Bit late with this post...I thought we were good but still need to tighten things up.

Mombaerts wasn’t happy with our defensive organisation and it’s obvious why. We were fortunate not to concede more. They had six shots in total and we were somewhat lucky they couldn’t put more on target. Their chances were good quality and their shooting was reflective of a state level team. Better players will put them on target and we will concede unless we prevent those chances or force them wider.

The press worked pretty well and we created a goal or two from turnovers in their half. Where things went a little wrong was in the midfield and defence mainly on our right side. Most of Brisbane’s play went down their left side and Omori their LB pushed high. Our combination down that side needs a bit of tweaking either by personnel or better discipline. A fair few combinations could be used down that side so who knows what he does. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harrison said:

Bit late with this post...I thought we were good but still need to tighten things up.

Mombaerts wasn’t happy with our defensive organisation and it’s obvious why. We were fortunate not to concede more. They had six shots in total and we were somewhat lucky they couldn’t put more on target. Their chances were good quality and their shooting was reflective of a state level team. Better players will put them on target and we will concede unless we prevent those chances or force them wider.

The press worked pretty well and we created a goal or two from turnovers in their half. Where things went a little wrong was in the midfield and defence mainly on our right side. Most of Brisbane’s play went down their left side and Omori their LB pushed high. Our combination down that side needs a bit of tweaking either by personnel or better discipline. A fair few combinations could be used down that side so who knows what he does. 

It looked like our full-backs were't pushing as high, often staying in midfield, overloading Strikers midfield. That, in turn though created space for their wingers

36 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

It looked like our full-backs were't pushing as high, often staying in midfield, overloading Strikers midfield. That, in turn though created space for their wingers

That is the CFG of playing now with inverted fullbacks, aiding the midfield when we have possession. It was very noticeable with Jamieson as the ball was predominantly on the right side. Galloway found himself in midfield a couple times in the first half too. We do try to mixed it up as occasionally our fullbacks overlapped. I believe this where our strength is going to come from, in the past for us and the league in general fullbacks had stayed put or overlapped.

18 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

That is the CFG of playing now with inverted fullbacks, aiding the midfield when we have possession. It was very noticeable with Jamieson as the ball was predominantly on the right side. Galloway found himself in midfield a couple times in the first half too. We do try to mixed it up as occasionally our fullbacks overlapped. I believe this where our strength is going to come from, in the past for us and the league in general fullbacks had stayed put or overlapped.

Our biggest issue in recent years (apart from Joyce) was that we often lost control of the ball in midfield, this helps to mitigate that problem as we are likely to outnumber opponent's midfields

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Our fullbacks are mobile. Galloway went forward more than Jamieson and stayed a bit wider. I think that’s deliberate to an extent because we’re probably trying to give Noone as much space as possible.  

Brisbane’s width came from their fullbacks. Their midfielders and forwards were very narrow, mostly because they got drawn to the centre to try to stop us. Their only option a lot of the time was to go wide and it worked a few times, especially down the left.