Melbourne Football

2019 FFA Cup - Semi Final - Brisbane Strikers @ Perry Park

recyclosaurusrex

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

Najjarine and Metcalfe starting again. Hopefully they can play the crapness out of their game against NPL rabble.

Then they can sit on the pine when the real season starts while Luna and Cabrera dominate the positions.

Only a 0-5 win tonight because we are limited by the mistakes of the 2 youth attackers.

Crikey playmaker, that was almost right. You usually talk bollocks but props mate... 

13 minutes ago, moops said:

I think he has certainly made a case to start, I'm just wondering what Mombearts is thinking.

EM has started him in every game that Metcalfe was available, I think it's clear what he's thinking. Metcalfe should start he has deserved it. 

2 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Crikey playmaker, that was almost right. You usually talk bollocks but props mate... 

Time will show that I am right most of the time.

Another thing to note is that I have been carrying on since January that Florin is a very good CM and was played out of position by Wazza. With 2 goal assists and 3-4 shot assists tonight he is one of the key players to our success in the midfield.

We scored 3 goals after the youth went off because they are not ready yet. They struggle physically against NPL standard players and will get slaughtered against A-league teams.

Good win against rubbish. Would have been 7+ goal win if Cabrera and Luna started the game.

3 minutes ago, rass said:

Wow I've read some utter shit on these pages tonight....

Just tonight? 

17 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Another thing to note is that I have been carrying on since January that Florin is a very good CM and was played out of position by Wazza. With 2 goal assists and 3-4 shot assists tonight he is one of the key players to our success in the midfield.

We scored 3 goals after the youth went off because they are not ready yet. They struggle physically against NPL standard players and will get slaughtered against A-league teams.

Good win against rubbish. Would have been 7+ goal win if Cabrera and Luna started the game.

Now I'm worried. I'm inclined to agree with you about Berenguer too. 

Very happy with how we bounced back from the early goal at the start of the night.

So hard to play free flowing football when the other team is parking the bus but we were always in control of that game imo.

Special mention to Frenchy who i thought got better as the game went and teased us with what he is truly capable of. Also thought Metcalfe was quite good, but it's time for Najarine to be moved to the bench for caberera. Constantly loses the ball and does not seem to have the poise yet to be a starter. Outside of that most other players were good/serviceable,  could've had a cricket score if their keeper didn't make some great saves.

Hopefully the final is in Melbourne but celebrate gentlemen, we're in a final!!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Any messages you want us to pass on to your next of kin?

Dont look in the box under the bed.

Cheers 👍

Also - great game after the first 5 minutes. Found some other city fans which was great. Good atmosphere besides the flies. They had good support which was great too.

Florin worked hard. Cabrera did well in his cameo. Time for Narjarine to have a spell. Noone struggled on the turf and had a few knocks and looked frustrated at times - still all class. All in all we made the final which I am stoked about. We have been asking for progress and we cannot fault tonights effort all things considered.

• Thanks 1

A good win. It's damning us with faint praise to say that we look way more capable than last season's team, but so far this season looks promising

Positives

The result, we're in another Cup final

Recovered from a slow start

Kept our structure, maintained possession with a good midfield press, usually looked for a forward ball. Clever midfield overload by Le Patrone

Good forward movement that opened the field in attack

A better game from Florin, however I worry how he'll go against better opposition

It was good to see Metcalfe score, I'd persist with Najjarine, he and Najjar need more game time at a higher level

Negatives

Defenders asleep for the first goal

Only started with 2 visa players, we need 5 fit visas who are good enough to start

We'll be significantly disadvantaged with Maclaren off with the National Team

Polished, professional performance.

Thought JMac was best on at HT before he scored so definite MOTM performance for mine. He looks very, very sharp imo.

Metcalfe was fantastic, as was Berenguer, particularly in the second half. He still makes glaring errors which obviously etch into the mind a bit deeper, but he's definitely got something the others don't have. If we can coax it out of him and get his confidence up where it needs to be i think he can be a player for us.
Thought Noone had a bit of a stinker, which is probably a good sign that shows we're not too reliant on him.
Ramy has done his dash for the first few games for mine, especially given how well Cabrera played when he came on. Definitely his best performance in the City blue so far and that 3rd goal was very well taken.

The French Revolution appears to be in full swing, and so far so good. Hopefully we can take that into Round 1.

Plenty of positives to take out of it imo.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Polished, professional performance.

Thought JMac was best on at HT before he scored so definite MOTM performance for mine. He looks very, very sharp imo.

Metcalfe was fantastic, as was Berenguer, particularly in the second half. He still makes glaring errors which obviously etch into the mind a bit deeper, but he's definitely got something the others don't have. If we can coax it out of him and get his confidence up where it needs to be i think he can be a player for us.
Thought Noone had a bit of a stinker, which is probably a good sign that shows we're not too reliant on him.
Ramy has done his dash for the first few games for mine, especially given how well Cabrera played when he came on. Definitely his best performance in the City blue so far and that 3rd goal was very well taken.

The French Revolution appears to be in full swing, and so far so good. Hopefully we can take that into Round 1.

Plenty of positives to take out of it imo.

Viva Revolution.

Boys were stoked lastnight... Uruaguyans struggled with the insects. Heres hoping for an AAMI Park final - doubtful. Plus the airfaires to Adelaide look shit - no early returns Thu.

COYCB

• Like 1

Take out the first 3 minutes it was a very good performance, absolutely dominated them. Take out Najjarine for cabrera and there is our starting 11 for round 1

I understand that the story in these games are the npl clubs, but what the fuck was andy Harper going on about when he said that brisbane deserved something out of the game. They scored cause our keeper slipped and that was it

11 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Isn't the slip the exact reason to blame Bouzanis?

Probably depends on your perspective. Some will say its the pitches fault i guess; i certainly saw Noone slip over a couple times too.

Truth probably lies somewhere in between ie part Bouza's fault, part unlucky, part slippery pitch.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, playmaker said:

11 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Just tonight? 

Now I'm worried. I'm inclined to agree with you about Berenguer too. 

I'd say at least playmaker has been consistent in his support for Berenguer even when he's shown his lack of quality time and again. But I wouldn't jump the fence just yet if you haven't been in support for him. It's 1 game against NPL level players. Let's see how he performs over the course of the season. He certainly has far more work cut out to prove that he is good quality as opposed to being shit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

Isn't the slip the exact reason to blame Bouzanis?

50 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Probably depends on your perspective. Some will say its the pitches fault i guess; i certainly saw Noone slip over a couple times too.

Truth probably lies somewhere in between ie part Bouza's fault, part unlucky, part slippery pitch.

Well I think its pretty clear in this case. What do you want Bouzanis to do? Ask that patch of turf before making a save not to give way please?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I'd say at least playmaker has been consistent in his support for Berenguer even when he's shown his lack of quality time and again. But I wouldn't jump the fence just yet if you haven't been in support for him. It's 1 game against NPL level players. Let's see how he performs over the course of the season. He certainly has far more work cut out to prove that he is good quality as opposed to being shit. 

There was a time during the middle of last season when I was definitely wanting him dropped. I saw enough late on last season to suggest that he's worth persistence, and on the basis of preseason I haven't changed from that view. He's the sort of player who is capable of being crap and brilliant within minutes of each other. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

i certainly saw Noone slip over a couple times.

I will not tire of these kind of sentences. 

• Like 2

I don't think we can fault the gaffer on his selections after a 5-1 win. He may well have the opinion that neither Ramy nor Cabrera can go the full 90, and that Cabrera is the better man to bring on later in the game when the opposition is tiring a bit. And he got that right last night. Saying we would have scored more if we'd started Cabrera is hypothetical. So far the gaffer is getting it right in the matches that count.

Terrific result for us. For a long time we've said that we ought to put these NPL sides away with a comfortable margin, and that's what we did. Loved the way JMac won the ball in midfield and set up Metcalfe for the first.

Overall Berenguer still has highs and lows, but IMO the trend is upwards. Bouzanis' problem is that he raises these little questions about his play a little too frequently for some people's liking - including mine I confess. But I won't forget how he celebrated when we won the Cup back in 2016 - it clearly meant a lot to him so I don't think we can question his commitment.

Well done City.

Highlights if you want to relive the glory. https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/ffa-cup-highlights-brisbane-strikers-1-5-city

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

I thought Berenguer's best game we've seen, with a bit of luck that shot which bounced over the keeper and hit the bar would have gone in. But he tackled, tracked back and provided assists and some chances for othrrs which didnt go in, especially that chip over to was it Noone who fluffed it. All the midfielders played well. Thought Galloway and Good were the best of the defenders. Galloways cannon was very De Laet like. I'm getting a bit impatient with Najjarine, not a lot he did went right last night.

In regards to Strikers, I really liked their striker, Pengelly. Put in a good shift and that goal was nice. I'd be inclined to pick him up if I was CFG, would be good back up for when Maclaren goes national. I doubt Najjar would last 90 mins

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

There was a time during the middle of last season when I was definitely wanting him dropped. I saw enough late on last season to suggest that he's worth persistence, and on the basis of preseason I haven't changed from that view. He's the sort of player who is capable of being crap and brilliant within minutes of each other. 

The problem was he was being played out of position last season. It was always the problem as has all the traits of a CM.

With 2 goal assists and at least 3 shot assists last night I think he is very comfortable in the middle of the pitch and totally dominated the box to box area...... as he should against NPL level teams.

Scoring is a problem though, but if he does his job in the middle of the park then he will create opportunities for those that are there to score goals, ultimately that's what a CM is there for.

Early days though, let's just see what the season proper holds as I am still not convinced he can mix it with the hardened A-league midfielders but I hope he can because it is something that we have badly missed since Mooy.

Also, special mention to Galloway, proving he is on par with De Laet at this stage both in defence and attack. A very smart player by the looks of it.

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

Well I think its pretty clear in this case. What do you want Bouzanis to do? Ask that patch of turf before making a save not to give way please?

I expect him to inspect the pitch before the game and choose to wear boots with longer studs if it looks like a problem. I expect him to set himself well for a shot from outside of the box and be able to respond when it comes in.

Dont want to hang him, but his kit is his responsibility and the next poor ground we play on he’ll hopefully give his footwear more thought.

• Like 3