Melbourne Football

2019 FFA Cup - Semi Final - Brisbane Strikers @ Perry Park

recyclosaurusrex

7 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Strongly disagree with this for Luna, the two pre-season games I've seen him in (particularly the Bentleigh game) so far he's definitely been harrying up and down the field more than anyone else. 

Yes and no. I remember him working hard at times but it’s not simply a matter of harrying. There are clearly things that Luna isn’t doing or doing well. At a guess it probably comes down to how he positions himself when we don’t have the ball and how quickly he recovers to the right position when we lose it and initiate the press. And then there are things like him not paying attention to triggers. 

Particularly being paired with Berenguer, it’s an important position. Metcalfe does it really well. 

Don't really care how much we win by given it's a semi-final but I hope we're convincing and ruthless, and can dispatch them early.

We've lacked that real killer instinct since the Mooy-Fornaroli-Novillo days but Maclaren and Noone look really good atm.

Najjarine and Metcalfe starting again. Hopefully they can play the crapness out of their game against NPL rabble.

Then they can sit on the pine when the real season starts while Luna and Cabrera dominate the positions.

Only a 0-5 win tonight because we are limited by the mistakes of the 2 youth attackers.

7 hours ago, Jovan said:

I think it's premature to write off both of them, it's a worry thay are not starting but they still have time. 

For me if its clear they aren't suitable by round 3 or 4 then we should seriously consider movement in January but ultimately signing visa players and squeezing them into a salary cap is always a risk.

As an extension to this if the FFA are considering extending the visa quotas and thinking that will bring in higher quality and maintaining the cap is just ludicrous. The 5th or 6th visa player on a sub 150k wage will ultimately be pretty poor. 

If they removed the cap on visas and have say 6 players outside the cap that would work.

But getting back to the Uruguayan blokes I think they are decent and need 3 or 4 proper games.

Graham Arnold I recall a few years back came out in the press an said he wouldn't rush his foreign recruits because the grounds are so hard in Australia - the risk of injury or to knees is higher so he'd slowly integrate them. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jovan said:

But getting back to the Uruguayan blokes I think they are decent and need 3 or 4 proper games.

So our scouting system is clearly not up to scratch. Why get these players in the first place if they don’t fit the system. Mombearts has now come out and is copying Pep so the type of players are known. South Americans aren’t always known for their workrate.

These 2 are seasoned footballers and their deficiencies can obviously be picked up during the scouting period. In my opinion Visa players are a different category than youth players and should walk in the first eleven at any time. Thus should have had more game time by now.

Edited by Mr MO

Defenders have been absolutely appalling so far and haven't turned up - horrible focus defending and horribly slow and predictable going forward. Also Jamo is making some crap decisions, especially as a skipper 1-0 down early.

Najjarine and Maclaren are doing alright with what they've been given so far tbh and look capable of scoring but jesus, our defence is shaky.

edit - nice Metcalfe haha, bring it home boys

Edited by Nate