Melbourne Football

2019 FFA Cup - Semi Final - Brisbane Strikers @ Perry Park

recyclosaurusrex

1 hour ago, Afif Adam said:

Little nervy for this match ngl

Side note if CCM wins surely we’ll play a home final with the lowest crowd possible but if Adelaide wins we might play away due to crowd numbers...

I was thinking the opposite to be honest. If we play adelaide I see it being a home game as Adelaide have already hosted the final twice and won it twice. If we play Central Coast I see it being away as the league will want to draw interest in a fledgling club. Plus Central Coast Stadium is more boutique and whatnot.

• Like 1

Semi finals the NPL teams struggle given the date of the fixtures. Aleague clubs have started the season and pretty much peaking where as the NPL season ended...Last week didnt it? So they start to drop off.

I dont think any NPL team has a chance to get into a final until the two seasons are brought closer together

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

Semi finals the NPL teams struggle given the date of the fixtures. Aleague clubs have started the season and pretty much peaking where as the NPL season ended...Last week didnt it? So they start to drop off.

I dont think any NPL team has a chance to get into a final until the two seasons are brought closer together

I think we this comp matures and removes the NPL bias and makes it purely knockout they should move the quarters semis and finals to April/May. Both winter and summer leagues are pretty much going. 

It would be counterproductive to change the state leagues to summer and A league can't go to winter.

Even champions league has a big gap.

18 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I think we this comp matures and removes the NPL bias and makes it purely knockout they should move the quarters semis and finals to April/May. Both winter and summer leagues are pretty much going. 

It would be counterproductive to change the state leagues to summer and A league can't go to winter.

Even champions league has a big gap.

I dont think there will be a complete swap. But I think the Aleague should start earlier. At least the start of September IMO

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I dont think there will be a complete swap. But I think the Aleague should start earlier. At least the start of September IMO

We're going to have to do something like this as the League expands to 14-16 clubs. We're also seeing more A-League club players (senior and junior) being called for international duties, so we're going to have to recognise international breaks in due course. A longer season is also helpful in maintaining people's interest - at the moment the League just about dies for nearly half a year and the public has nothing to keep interest going.

13 minutes ago, Dylan said:

IMO the A League should start the week of the AFL pre-season bye, assuming the AFL want to persist with that idiocy.

47 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Pre finals you mean?

i assume you do and I agree. Best to do it ASAP so it can be established 

Yes. i cant think of any better week to take advantage of no competition, at a point where supporters of 10 other clubs are looking for something else to focus on.
Not that i particularly think there's a mammoth amount of overlap anyway, you can def follow both at once.

• 2 weeks later...

No injuries so a full squad available. Do we go with the same defence or bring in Windbichler? The loss to Adelaide might bring about a change there. 

In the midfield I’d expect Brillante behind Berenguer and Metcalfe. 

Up front it’s Noone, Maclaren and probably Najjarine. 

Two or three spots still up for grabs across every line so tomorrow will be an excellent guide to our starting line-up against Victory. 

4 hours ago, neio said:

I'd like to see the 4 attacking Visa players all start, see what we have to work with 

City has a fit squad and will field a strong XI on Tuesday night, but Mombaerts said Adrian Luna was unlikely to start, with the recruit still adapting to City's style and "physical demands".  - FTBL 

9 hours ago, Afif Adam said:

same, they're giving me the Colazo vibes 

There was nothing wrong with Colazo at all, but he had the misfortune of perforating his eardrum early in his time with us and that is not a pleasant injury to have. Good secondary striker, and part of our FFA Cup winning team. Now people are on the backs of Luna and Cabrera. All these guys come from senior South American football and have sound pedigrees, but somehow they're not good enough for Melbourne City? Makes me think of the person who can't get on with anyone else, but blames everyone else for it rather than looking at himself. So, who is it? The club or the players, or both?

They don’t work hard enough for long enough. If a player can’t do their work defensively then they’ll struggle to get good minutes under Mombaerts. A press won’t work if several players aren’t doing their part. It’s a coordinated system.

But recruiting those types of players for our new style is the strange part. Hopefully they get up to speed because offensively they’re quite sharp. 

• Like 1

I think it's premature to write off both of them, it's a worry thay are not starting but they still have time. 

For me if its clear they aren't suitable by round 3 or 4 then we should seriously consider movement in January but ultimately signing visa players and squeezing them into a salary cap is always a risk.

As an extension to this if the FFA are considering extending the visa quotas and thinking that will bring in higher quality and maintaining the cap is just ludicrous. The 5th or 6th visa player on a sub 150k wage will ultimately be pretty poor. 

If they removed the cap on visas and have say 6 players outside the cap that would work.

But getting back to the Uruguayan blokes I think they are decent and need 3 or 4 proper games.

14 minutes ago, Harrison said:

They don’t work hard enough for long enough. If a player can’t do their work defensively then they’ll struggle to get good minutes under Mombaerts. A press won’t work if several players aren’t doing their part. It’s a coordinated system.

But recruiting those types of players for our new style is the strange part. Hopefully they get up to speed because offensively they’re quite sharp. 

This is why what appears to be centralised visa player recruiting strategy by CFG is going to be hit and miss if it continues. In the cases of Berenguer, and now Luna and Cabrera they are on 2-year contracts, compounding the effects of any poor decision.

27 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Strongly disagree with this for Luna, the two pre-season games I've seen him in (particularly the Bentleigh game) so far he's definitely been harrying up and down the field more than anyone else. 

• Like 2