Melbourne Football

VFA Thread.

cadete

Was watching old VFA clips on Youtube the other day.

The Gull's 1990 win over those dirty Scorpions.

Being a Port supporter I should really dislike the Gulls but truth is i've always liked the way they go about it and their ethos, that is ofcourse before the all-devouring VFL came through and sucked the soul from the club.

PS. I miss real footy.

• Like 1

I believe a lot of those old VFA vids were actually put up by Phil Clearly himself...

In one of them he kicks a bag for the Burgers against the Caulfield Bears in Geelong Jumpers.

The best is that GF between Borough and Dandy - where the entire crowd joins in with the brawl (Of course F.Cook is involved).

First post literally sums it all up.

Started getting nostalgic about a few things when I found a box of old gear a few weeks back. Records from 96 onwards when my old man used to take my older brother and me right around Melbourne watching games.

Only ground I've never been to has been Box Hill. Might have to train out to a few games against this year. Alf's can hill has been seriously depleted since the derelict young guy in the fluro gear passed away a few years ago. Had a fluro day in remembrance for him last season. Was a cracker. Will have to find pics.

Galea is a mad bastard - I love how he got sick of dud Bulldogs players taking his goal square from him at Wily so he rang up Aryes and basicly said "I cant handle these Kents shafting me any more I am coming down to training".

I remember he actually scissor kicked a goal over his head in the square (As he was being held by the FB).

Always turns it on at Box Hill - A massive plus for any Borough player, as nothing beats an Away win out there in front of the Puritans.

Edited by cadete

Tbh don't know to much on the history just followed affiliated teams like werribe and north ballarat! If only they had all the players playing in the 1 team would be unstoppable.

You actually would not because you are only allowed to play a certain amount of AFL listed players.

North has also always chosen to put its better players in the Roosters squad and it was these guys coming back for the 2008 GF that won it for the Roosters.

NOTE: And Nahas being injured in the 2008.

The other key to NB's success has been Fitzgerald's ability to get local stars to forgo cash in the local league to play for the Roosters.

Its been a solid balancing act - Even I cant take much away from the Roosters.

His a very good VFA coach like Ayres and they both should be looked at as head coaches by AFL clubs before some of the clowns that get interviews due to assistant work at clubs with good lists.

Ppl under rate the huge amount of man management that a VFL coach has to do and for very little money.

I find it really frustrating how AFL coaches are chosen as it really it is a real amateur hour compared to US sports in particular.

There is always a massive bias towards coaches who have been assistants at successful teams which IMO really is a fairly unproven method.

A good example is how a few years ago a number of the coaches in AFL had got their jobs from being Port Power Assistants and the proclaimed great system Choco had setup there... well now look at the Power and at Choco.

Edited by cadete

Couldn't agree with you more. NB team has been successful not only because of its north influence but the players playing on the list. Some of which have been picked up already in afl list.

Btw go werribe!

I know your a port Melbourne boy but somewhere there has to be some love for Geelong.

Geelong is my AFL side, my whole family could be playing for another side against them in the AFL and I would still support the Blue and White Hoops.

Port are my VFA side, I want them to win all games and that includes beating Geelong VFA.

In saying that I always miss that particular game (As I cant physically support against Geelong and hear the abuse we get from fellow Port supporters) and just check the result after hoping that Borough got the points.

If Port are knocked out of the finals then I obv want Geelong to win the comp, and I also prefer if AFL teams did just enter Stand Alone Teams in the VFA as it is better than them ruining clubs like Preston, Sandy and Willy.

Not only this but the AFL clubs had all been in the comp before as themselves anyway.

You will find that most Port supporters prefer Stand Alone Teams over Bastards...

Why his father had no allegiance to Preston...

And as on old Prahran man I am sure he would like to see his son at a real VFA club than some Mongrel like the Zebras.

We actually have quite a few old Two Blues supporters as Borough supporters after what happened to their club.

NOTE: My grandfather played for Prahran, and my father is one such person who now inactively lends his support to Borough since their death.

Edited by cadete

Father's been on record as saying Preston was one of a few clubs he didn't actually have a great affinity with back in the day.

He used to be down at Sandy all the time. had a chat with him once and was stoked his sons were playing together and stoked with how the club was run. \

Also roff at calling Preston a real VFA club now.

Marple and Poirot I am pretty sure were Serial Killers - I reckon it was a joke AC was playing on her readers since the start as everywhere the went Murders just seemed to happen by chance.

Edited by cadete

Impossible.

Murders and such committed before arrival on scene is dead give away. Same could be said for the DC's on Midsummer Murders. In an area of about 100 folk an awful lot of them seem to die and 'perpetrators' never admit to their crimes and plead innocence.

They were normally petty things like robbo's out of town nephew nicked a polly waffle of old lady midge at the local milk bar and the kid was taught a lesson by the stern, but somewhat lenient local DC rather than some rampant priest taking out townfolk's jugular's with the alter's candlestick.

Awesome seeing footy in this weather played by these two teams.

Not sure why the commentary team ripped into Ed Carr so hard for that bump to slow up play? Not sure how it would have been holding the ball regardless.