Melbourne Football

Political Kumpass

Hendo

One of the greatest mysteries in the world is why this bloke supports Lazio and not Livorno.

Maybe because AS Livorno are Tuscan Kulaks. Hoarding their grain and furthering the dominance of the Landlord class.

Also, Lazio has had a very strong Liberal element in recent years due to the decline of the Irriducibili but yes, the right still mostly reins in both Roman Terraces.

• Like 1

I done this like a week ago for some reason, having previously done it ages ago. One thing I noticed, is it seems to put the person doing the test too far left on the left-right axis, compared to where they put world leaders. For example, I was more economically left than most world leaders, which as a lot of you would know, isnt correct. I think the problem is with the wording of questions:

"If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations" - who isnt going to agree with that. The problem is that more economically right wing people will argue that humanity is best being served while the interests of corporations are also being served. But the nature of the question makes me have to agree with it, even though I know its representing my position in the results.

"It is regrettable that many personal fortunes are made by people who simply manipulate money and contribute nothing to their society." - again, poorly worded question. Insurance, hedging, these sort of things are provided through what I assume they mean by "manipulating money". This is a valuable service for a lot of producers, for example farmers. But again its the type of question which isnt going to result in people disagreeing, putting people more towards the left of the axis.

I could go on. I assume this was made by some left wing organisation.

Additionally, somehow I ended up a lot more libertarian (on the vertical axis) than Ron Paul. Considering that on these issues I agree with the man on pretty much everything, and if anything he is more extreme than me.

Would be a lot better test if they removed the world leaders etc. from their website so it isnt used as a guide to where your position places you.

Edited by Tesla

I don't really know much (anything) about politics etc. but why does it seems that most current Western leaders are authoritarian right but most of you guys are libertarian left?

That's called difference of opinion, ethos and ideology mate. Hearty political debate and investigation is based on it. Being different is nor a good nor bad thing. It's just what it is; A point of difference. If you were to these tests for example in a lot of European states atm, the results would most likely be closer to that of the 'World Leaders' you speak of. Differing social, political and economic climates lead to differing attitudes on the aforementioned.

one problem that I have with the test is that their is no option to be neutral, you HAVE to be either for or against each argument.

Neutrality on the issues would, although a very valid opinion to hold, serve little purpose for a test such as this as it needs a definitive position on each issues to give a "reasonably" accurate guideline of where to plot your politics on the graph.

I do hear what you are saying though as ALL these issues have numerous considerations not accounted for in the questiong and the subsequent responses as well as that each questioncould be interpreted in a multitude of ways but this test is not perfect nor would it claim to be.

Edited by Braveheart

That's called difference of opinion, ethos and ideology mate. Hearty political debate and investigation is based on it. Being different is nor a good nor bad thing. It's just what it is; A point of difference. If you were to these tests for example in a lot of European states atm, the results would most likely be closer to that of the 'World Leaders' you speak of. Differing social, political and economic climates lead to differing attitudes on the aforementioned.

Emu had a valid point. We have a democracy. The popular political parties thereby would represent the political ideology of the majority. The popular political parties are both very much in the center with maybe being a bit more to the left, though on the political compass this would be represented as being a bit authoritarian and right of center, which would be the top right quadrant which emu was referring to most world leaders being in.

Now on here, almsot everyone has been in the lower left quadrant, even surprisingly one guy I know who supports a party which is described as being left wing economically, and right wing socially (thereby putting it in the top left on the political compass from my understanding). Anyway, if we were to performe some sort of statistical analysis, going by the number of people in the bottom left quadrent on here, and the vast majority of the people in the country being in the top right, we would conclude (I'm not going to do a statistical analysis but I already know this will be the result going by what I see) that the people on this forum are not actually from this society. Either that, or the test is flawed somehow. Or people arent showing their true beliefs on the test. One of those answers would explain the phenomenon Emu has highlighted.

Edited by Tesla

Emu had a valid point. We have a democracy. The popular political parties thereby would represent the political ideology of the majority. The popular political parties are both very much in the center with maybe being a bit more to the left, though on the political compass this would be represented as being a bit authoritarian and right of center.

Now on here, almsot everyone has been in the lower left quadrant, even surprisingly one guy I know who supports a party which is described as being left wing economically, and right wing socially (thereby putting it in the top left on the political compass from my understanding). Anyway, if we were to performe some sort of statistical analysis, going by the number of people in the bottom left quadrent on here, and the vast majority of the people in the country being in the top right, we would conclude (I'm not going to do a statistical analysis but I already know this will be the result going by what I see) that the people on this forum are not actually from this society. Either that, or the test is flawed somehow. Or people arent showing their true beliefs on the test.

or that within the 'Two-Party' Political system in which all of us live, we chose to vote for, in doing so participating in the democratic determinance of our domestic and foreign policy, chose what we see as the least objectionable option and vote for the party that is most palatable to our actual positions even if they share very few of exactly the same views as we do. Moreover, effectively helping to install the party that we deem the least harmful to ourselfs and the beliefs we hold for society on both social and economic pleins.

Edited by Braveheart

or that within the 'Two-Party' Political system in which all of us live, we chose to vote for, in doing so participating in the democratic determinance of our domestic and foreign policy, chose what we see as the least objectionable option and vote for the party that is most palatable to our actual positions even if they share very few of exactly the same views as we do. Moreover, effectively helping to install the party that we deem the least harmful to ourselfs and the beliefs we hold for society on both social and economic grounds.

Yes. So then isnt our democratic system deeply flawed?

What democracy? Who's democracy do you speak of? Define your notion of 'Democratic' because there are thousands of Ideological and scholarly debates on what actually constitutes 'Democracy' both in practice and theory.

I speak of the democratic system in this country.

This isnt a political science class, my notion of 'democratic' is what the vast majority of people consider it to be, which would be something along the lines of that the people in charge of the country represent the views of the majority of the population.

My point is, it looks like another example of how the democratic system in this country, and similar systems in most countries are flawed. Churchill was right.

Edited by Tesla

I speak of the democratic system in this country.

This isnt a political science class, my notion of 'democratic' is what the vast majority of people consider it to be, which would be something along the lines of that the people in charge of the country represent the views of the majority of the population.

My point is, it looks like another example of how the democratic system in this country, and similar systems in most countries are flawed. Churchill was right.

My point wasn't to turn this forum thread into a PolScience class, it was to demonstrate that perhaps there are indeed people within this country, obviously excluding myself as my posts above demonstrate, that think the Democratic process and it's subsequent system of representation in this country is an optimum synergy. An Australian Democratic Model for Australia etc.

Political process is always up for debate and thorough criticism. As it should ALWAYS be. One of the enlightenment traditons that still rings most true to this very day.

Still complaining yet two years on Telsa is still in Australia and with no real plans to leave...

The other day you were complaining about 30 min chants in the terrace, yet you're still in the terrace.

Edited by Tesla

It was similar to your boy Karl's solution to everything ;)

Exceptionally well played sir.

One point i have to make though is that Old Winston disliked the system and advocated no change. Beardy McClass-face detested the system and did seek change. He also has fostered intellectul investigation and debate for close to 170years on how to change it. Not claiming Marx offered up the program for reform but he did identify what he thought needed to be changed.

Churchill just liked sweeping statements tbh.

Churchill just liked sweeping statements tbh.

He left some quality quotes though.

Two years compared to One week.... Strong Comparison.

You have made a vast array of complaints concerning a multitude of topics over those 2 years, this information overload lead me to only remembering the last one and not being able to draw comparison with a more relevant complaint you have made. If this was your tactic, I commend you for your commitment in complaint making over the last 2 years.

Tesla's delivering the lols up in here. Keep it up son.

Haven't seen any lols or trolling in this thread pal. Discussion between two chaps from different perspectives in regards to Tesla and myself.

If you believe my posts have happened to have been 'trolled' point them out to me and Ill demonstrate how very wrong you are.

You have no idea what you're talking about.