Melbourne Football

2019 FFA Cup - Quarter Final - Western Sydney Wanderers @ AAMI Park

mattyh001

What a great game

Thoroughly dominated WSW and deserved the win.

Noone is an absolute gun, great ball control, great crosses and just overall a fucking boss.

Robocop had a great game too, but the best on ground imo is Brillante

I honestly think Brilliante could be our most important player this season. Covers ground so quickly, reads the play beautifully and his passing is spot on. Just such a well rounded midfielder/DM.

Should easily account for the strikers and go into the final

Very, very happy :)

• Like 4

That's the first time that I've left a game happy for a long time.

We were well structured defensively and didn't lose our shape. We restricted WSW to only a few chances. Having said that, we were lucky not to have conceded at least 1 goal (a miss on an open goal). Our offensive and defensive transitions are much smoother, we mix possession with vertical penetrating balls and vary our pace in attack. Our movement off the ball and positioning are light-years ahead of last season. We look to have multiple scoring options, although Noone and Macclaren are our main threats

I actually think that Najjarine had a good game bar his finishing, and I'd continue starting him. He positions himself well, has good ball control, passes intelligently, but needs to relax in front of goal.

Florin did very little to justify a starting role

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

Berenguer was total shit. That's all I can say about our so-called marquee.

I thought Najjarine wasted his opportunity by being too elaborate. And Momby still needs to work on the team to get the best  out of Maclaren. He's not big enough or strong enough to be wasted chasing hopeful long balls. His team-mates need to learn how to best use his goal-poaching abilities in the 6-yard box. I thought he was often in the right place in front of goal but the final pass to him was poor. Noone easily the pick of the forwards. And Delbridge the pick of the defence by a mile. What I like about him is that he is prepared to to clear the ball out of the danger area. Bouzanis was a lot more impressive tonight, but still needs to improve his distribution.

The crowd was piss-poor - 2,900 not good at all.

The pigeons were a fucking nuisance because a group of 8-12 year-olds were feeding them, and the idiot adults "supervising" them weren't doing anything about it. Spoiled the evening for fans behind the southern goal, and certainly irritated Bouzanis.

WSW were toothless.

3-0 looks good, but IMO we can play a lot better.

• Like 1

Owing to work, I only made it to AAMI for the second half. 

But the 48 minutes I saw were some of the brightest positive football I can remember at this club for a long time.

Final ball/shot wasn't always on point, but the progress up the field (some upfield passing movements started around our box) was consistently good and there was plenty to like. 

Very encouraging.

Warren WHO?

1 hour ago, Afif Adam said:

Calm down mate, that was their only bad performance...how many chances did Kamau get ? 

No I am not going to calm down. They were average against NPL clubs and just as I mentioned previously the couldn't cope with an crap A-league side.

They need to warm the pine and have minutes yes, but in no way they should start if we actually want to win anything.

IMO every team will struggle against out front 4 of Jamie, Noone, Luna and Cabrera hence why they should not be stuffed around with and should start every game.

53 minutes ago, n i k o said:

No thoughts on your French marquee mate? 

Yeah I have.

Had moments that he got caught in the traffic but a bulk of the time was a link up player between Brilliante and the front 3, hit quality passes and set up a majority of out forward plays while Metcalfe and Najjarine were stuffing up and turning over possession.

He had a very solid game and did his job very well.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Berenguer was total shit. That's all I can say about our so-called marquee.

hmmmm, JW you're better than that...

I get that he's an easy target here but I honestly thought he was ok tonight. I'm not saying he was amazing, but he definitely wasn't shit. From what I saw, we played a quicker, longer ball tonight that often bypassed that 10 area. Especially early on, the ball was going high and long and wide.

Anyway, I enjoyed the game and the difference in our urgency to go forward and get in behind the defence. Really looking forward to this season.

• Like 2

Just now, playmaker said:

Yeah I have.

Had moments that he got caught in the traffic but a bulk of the time was a link up player between Brilliante and the front 3, hit quality passes and set up a majority of out forward plays while Metcalfe and Najjarine were stuffing up and turning over possession.

i am convinced you dont watch the same games as us.  When did florin nail and pass or set up the majority of play.  the guy can do everything but the easiest things like a simple pass to feet.  

He killed more attacks than he started.  If he could nail a final pass, he would actually be reliable in the middle, plus he tracks back slower than my balls swing.

7 minutes ago, Originalmeme said:

i am convinced you dont watch the same games as us.  When did florin nail and pass or set up the majority of play.  the guy can do everything but the easiest things like a simple pass to feet.  

He killed more attacks than he started.  If he could nail a final pass, he would actually be reliable in the middle, plus he tracks back slower than my balls swing.

I don't think I've ever gone into bat for @playmaker before, but I somewhat agree with him re Berenguer tonight.

...and I honestly think your comment above is just plain wrong and so typical of the forum attitude to 'whipping boys'.

• Like 1

Man, how good is Noone though. And so good to see him get so fired up after both goals even with the game being an FFA Cup tie which the A-League players don't always embrace. 

Love the skills and love the passion, quickly becoming a fan favourite for mine.

33 minutes ago, Originalmeme said:

You are blind like most of the anti-Florin crowd here.

Anyway don't care much about Florin tbh and shouldn't be about him anyway.

We had 9 players who dominated their positions and 2 that are way way off the mark and should be back in the NPL.

I hope Metcalfe and Najjarine start against the Strikers and do something worth talking about not that they deserve it.

I never thought I would ever say this but I think Wales should start for Najjarine.

While we are at it Genreau for Metcalfe.

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

Awesome performance.

Najjarine and Metcalfe should never start another game again.

If Cabrera and Luna started we would have won 7-0.

Why do you think those didn’t start? I really don’t know. Personally I haven’t been impressed with those two and I have  no issues with starting Metcalfe and Najjarine over them.

• Like 1

Mombearts has done really well, it was the best I have seen us in a long time. A dominant win that before the game looked like a tricky match. Jamo had a really good game as well.

4 hours ago, playmaker said:

You are blind like most of the anti-Florin crowd here.

Anyway don't care much about Florin tbh and shouldn't be about him anyway.

We had 9 players who dominated their positions and 2 that are way way off the mark and should be back in the NPL.

I hope Metcalfe and Najjarine start against the Strikers and do something worth talking about not that they deserve it.

I never thought I would ever say this but I think Wales should start for Najjarine.

While we are at it Genreau for Metcalfe.

Wales has just come back from being with the olyroos, I would say that is why he wasn't featured at all.

Najjarine had a bit of a nightmare in front of goal, otherwise he did ok, I was surprised he started over Cabrera.

I thought Metcalf did well enough, not sure what your grief is? And will only improve over the season.

Good performances all round imo. Ramy got himself into position and had some good moments, but he needs to be far better than that in fron t of goal if he wants to rust himself into that XI. Thought Metcalfe was ok, nothing special. Florin was a bit like Ramy, had some really nice moments but let himself down with the final ball on quite a few occasions.

Brillante is a super signing imo. He's no frills, but he reads the play like a book and has an uncanny ability to pick the best option in transition.

Obv Noone and Delbo were outstanding also.

The gaffer had a terrific proper debut imo; the style and approach was really good to watch. We looked like we had all the time in the world with it and like we weren't even out of 2nd gear, whilst looking very organised at the back on most occasions. Plenty of things to be optimistic about dare i say it.

• Like 4

I think the fans needed that more than the players did. Plenty of people worrying that we’d be smashed and we end up comfortably beating them. 

I see that Berenguer is still copping his share. He was solid, as was Metcalfe. I liked Najjarine’s game and Noone was terrific. Maclaren could score 20 this season.

Brillante was best on for me. This guy is a proper defensive midfielder and is now creating chances. Having a playmaker from deep gives us another avenue to goal and either forces our opponent to press us or stretches the defence as they sit off. Good teams have many avenues to goal and that’s what we’re developing. 

Defensively we were good. Bouzanis was excellent and the back 4 were very good. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, playmaker said:

No I am not going to calm down. They were average against NPL clubs and just as I mentioned previously the couldn't cope with an crap A-league side.

They need to warm the pine and have minutes yes, but in no way they should start if we actually want to win anything.

IMO every team will struggle against out front 4 of Jamie, Noone, Luna and Cabrera hence why they should not be stuffed around with and should start every game.

Yeah I have.

8 hours ago, rass said:

hmmmm, JW you're better than that...

I get that he's an easy target here but I honestly thought he was ok tonight. I'm not saying he was amazing, but he definitely wasn't shit. From what I saw, we played a quicker, longer ball tonight that often bypassed that 10 area. Especially early on, the ball was going high and long and wide.

Anyway, I enjoyed the game and the difference in our urgency to go forward and get in behind the defence. Really looking forward to this season.

It's all dependant on what expectations are placed on him. For sure he had a solid game. Nothing special but did most of the simple stuff right.

What expectation should be placed on a number 10 visa player? With so much of the ball last night what should his output be? 

I brought up Florin because playmaker is willing to be so harsh on 2 of our youngest players.