Melbourne Football

Heart Announces Cuts to Squad

ToonHeart

The 2011/12 season has certainly been one which upon reflection heralded quite a breakthrough for Melbourne Heart FC.

While we are undoubtedly disappointed by the nature of our Hyundai A-League Finals Series exit, the team is unquestionably richer, and better placed for the experience, given it now knows what it takes to compete once the competition reaches crunch time.

Our achievement though this season hasn’t been one marked by individual effort, but that of the collective banding together to motivate, inspire and drive each other to greater heights.

Every member of the playing squad has a role to play in the establishment of such a culture, each contributing in both tangible and intangible ways to the overall fabric of the Club.

In football though, nothing is ever finite, and it is on this note we today confirm the departure of seven members of our Hyundai A-League squad.

All seven individuals – Rutger Worm, Alex Terra, Kristian Sarkies, Kamal Ibrahim, Kliment Taseski, Maycon and Nikola Roganovic – have each left an imprint on the Club in their own unique way, making contributions which extend simply beyond the field.

Our General Manager of Football Operations, John Didulica has paid tribute to each of the departing seven for the way in which they composed themselves both as footballers and individuals throughout their time at the Club:

Rutger Worm

‘We thank Rutger for taking a chance on a new club on the other side of the world and being a superb ambassador for the club at all times.’

Alex Terra

‘A real gentleman and a player who helped shaped the authentic character of the team. His smile and spectacular goals (in two derbies and against Perth) won’t be forgotten in a hurry.’

Kristian Sarkies

‘Sadly for Kristian he came to us with a broken leg which meant other players were able to move ahead of him and limit his match time. An excellent character to have around the club and we hope he can continue his career elsewhere in the A-League.’

Kamal Ibrahim

‘Highly-skilled young player who had limited match time but was always exemplary when representing the club, particularly within the club’s community program.’

Kliment Taseski

‘Unfortunately got injured early this season which limited his opportunity. Always a great trainer and contributor off the field, we wish Kliment well in combining his law degree with a professional career.’

Maycon

‘Always brought a positive energy to training which resonated throughout the club. We wish him well on his move to Malaysia, which starts next week.’

Nikola Roganovic

‘Worked hard in difficult circumstances and embraced the opportunity to work as a professional. With his commitment, we hope he can earn another opportunity.’

I’m sure you all join me in wishing the boys luck as they continue their football journey in the months and years to come.

that was the email from scott munn

I know the club has to move on but Sarkies and Worm i will be sad to see go, as they were there from the start and as individuals are fantastic people. Best of luck guys in your playing future. You have earnt my respect. Taseski I feel has been rather unfortunate, copped and early injury and he been behind the 8 ball ever since. Fantastic player who deserves another chance. Terra, I will never forget one of the most memorable goals in the A-League.

Ibrahim, never give up mate, you have got it, just prove it.

Proof that NOTHING is permanent! Thankyou to all recently departed MHFC players for their great contribution and helping the Red & White to become the ONLY TEAM IN MELBOURNE!!

In particular, a warm goodbye to the great Alex Terra for making the derby against the Blue Bastards most memorable...Time for Mate, Eli, & Aziz to step-up and fill his boots.

Here's to a groundbreaking 2012/13 A-League season...Be afraid A Leaguers, for the Red & White are coming!

Thanks to those boys for the part they played.

Terra, great memories from some great goals he scored.

Sarkies a bit unlucky I think, could've been a part of our squad next season.

With 7 out, does that mean a few players might be announced as signings soon?..........

Players like Taseski and Sarkies were cut because they were almost never were fit enough to play. No matter what their talent or whatever they could potentially offer it just effectively cuts our squad size. Unfortunately Taseski's biggest contribution to the club was that Madaschi was signed as his injury replacement

really disappointed with the departure of ibrahim, but thats football. hopefully we don't regret letting go of taseki, everyone seemed to rate him highly except for the heart management

I may be wrong, but isn't taseski always injured, and for some one who is only a prospect can't exactly justify a spot on the roster if he isn't playing

Can't really complain with any of the decisions. Sad to see Alex Terra go, but we need more consistent end product, particularly from our imports.

Gives us a bit of room to move in the salary cap and surely we can find at least 1 import who can give us some added spark.

The fact is Terra really cost us a another genuine goal scoring forward this year.

We only had 2 real regular scorers which probably cost us confidence and a few points along the way.

I look forward to seeing his replacement and wish him the best.

Edited by cadete

I would have liked to keep Terra, when he is having a good game there arent many better players in the squad. The inconsistency is the problem as others have mentioned.

Oh well, lets see who else we can bring in with that visa spot.

I think I read somewhere once - "If they didn't win the championship for you this year... they won't next year". Unfortunately that is the case for Alex Terra and Worm. They're at an age now, where they aren't going to increase in ability, so really were just taking up a spot that could be filled by a future star from the youth team, or brought in player of higher quality.

Alex gave us all a couple of special moments, and I'm sure every kid in the crowd will be asking where he is next year, but I think this was expected...

soohhl.png

• Like 4

Gee our squad's going to look interesting next year. Can someone please post a list of players that are contracted till the end of next season?

Colosimo's runs out next season, Thompson and Dugandzic as well, I think Fred was on a 2 year deal also, and unsure what the deal is with Germano, whether he was on 1 year and extended or multiple years.

Zahra and Kalmar I believe have 1 year left each

The squad we have now is at 17 (including Redmayne) with 3 visa spots available (though it is still unclear whether this will be lowered next season or not) so should be a very interesting off season.

I've got my fingers crossed we can pick up some good signings and still leave 1 spot free just in case, might give us the opportunity to sign someone in a similar situation to Madaschi or Reid to a real contract if the opportunity presents itself