Melbourne Football

Photography

bazzatron

I agree. I am not saying it isnt useful or that people should not learn the technicalities (knowing how a camera works helped me a lot too), I am just saying it does not necessarily help you take more interesting photographs. And I would prefer to look at an interesting photograph that lacks technicality than a boring shot that has ticked all the boxes on technical stuff.

• Like 1

I agree. I am not saying it isnt useful or that people should not learn the technicalities (knowing how a camera works helped me a lot too), I am just saying it does not necessarily help you take more interesting photographs. And I would prefer to look at an interesting photograph that lacks technicality than a boring shot that has ticked all the boxes on technical stuff.

Agreed.

I think most people do.

Look if I was a photographer I'd probably be a bit pissy about every tom, dick and Harry buying a DLSR too. That's why they crap on about technique so much coz they've actually done the work by studying photography. I did a photography module at tafe and our teacher hated the fact that there was a kid on every block with a DLSR trying to out do the pros (glued on auto), mind you this was over 5 years ago, its even worse now. I was walking around the city last week taking a few pics of graffiti and I came around a corner and there was about 40 cunts with DSLRs not even counting japanese tourists. I though I was a mad cunt walking around with my DLSR and suddenly felt like a wanker in the space of 4 seconds. I know I was using my camera for the purpose of my business but when you've got 17 year olds using burst mode on a still object you actually want to throw your camera and step into oncoming traffic.

• Like 1

I can see their point but it seems more like photographers are just having a sook because people are starting to realise how little there really is to what they do. I started taking an interest in photography in senior high school back in 1998 so everything was done on film and printed in a darkroom and the same thing happened in the early naughties when digital started taking over. Unless you knew about developing and darkroom techniques you were not a "real" photographer. Now its completely outdated.

As technology advances, the technical side will become less and less relevant. Its like a builder using a hammer instead of a nail gun so they can say "I am superior to you because I understand the inner workings". Whats the point other than to be a self righteous wanker?

quick question:

in the last five years, have lens' been updated/upgraded? have new and improved models been made, or are they the same?

obviously. image stabilisation added into the 70-200 canon L lenses and whatnot, glass quality always improves, something works quicker - of course they improve mate.

• Like 1

Absolutely! Knowing how to use proper shutter and aperture can sometimes be crucial in order to get your shot the way you want it, but I just hate the way a lot of photographers feel that this knowledge somehow makes them a genius- even when their finished work is (in my opinion) no better than someone using instagram on their i-phone.

Long exposure photography is so much fun! My tripod is pretty sketchy though which can often make shooting open-shutter really frustrating, (especially in the outdoors) but when it works out its a great feeling!

just something i took a while back... 1 sec shutter @ collins i think. excuse the watermark but there's too many faggots posting my stuff on tumblr and whatnot.

473584_509399775742902_1336994595_o.jpg

• Like 2

I think most people do.

Look if I was a photographer I'd probably be a bit pissy about every tom, dick and Harry buying a DLSR too. That's why they crap on about technique so much coz they've actually done the work by studying photography. I did a photography module at tafe and our teacher hated the fact that there was a kid on every block with a DLSR trying to out do the pros (glued on auto), mind you this was over 5 years ago, its even worse now. I was walking around the city last week taking a few pics of graffiti and I came around a corner and there was about 40 cunts with DSLRs not even counting japanese tourists. I though I was a mad cunt walking around with my DLSR and suddenly felt like a wanker in the space of 4 seconds. I know I was using my camera for the purpose of my business but when you've got 17 year olds using burst mode on a still object you actually want to throw your camera and step into oncoming traffic.

i generally find that whenever I use my DSLR in auto it messes my exposure up. i feel much better using full manual and adjusting metering modes, aperture, ISO, blah blah so on manually. besides, im probably going to try and find an adequately-priced rangefinder or an x100 to get into the rangefinder mechanics.

Very nice mate- Keep em coming!

thanks a lot man!

Edited by macri

Ye that's a nice snap, post some more when u get a chance. I'll pop a few up too.. when I can be fukd.

will do mate, I've been a little caught up in school so photography is on the stationary but for sure ill get some more snaps in.

www.digitalrev.com/gabrielmacri if you're interested - more of my stuff but some is mediocre as most were when I started out and whatnot.

Football Federation Victoria (FFV) has come under fire from national and international sports press associations because of its controversial policy of grabbing and reusing photos from accredited photographers without providing attribution or royalties.

The International Sports Press Association (AIPS) and the Football Media Association Australia (FMA) have condemned a specific clause in the 2012 FFV Media Accreditation terms & conditions which states:

“10. d. You must make available to FFV, on request, a reasonable selection of your images from Matches … and in doing so grant FFV an irrevocable, non-exclusive, non- transferable, royalty-free licence to use the intellectual property in these images in accordance with FFV’s objects and purposes … including, but not limited to use in annual reports, websites, newsletters and publications, without any absolute requirement for attribution.”

Total bullshit

Throughout the course of this year’s EA Sports Champion of Champions, au.fourfourtwo.com will be running an online gallery featuring the best photos taken by YOU at theEA Sports Champion of Champions games each round.

What's more, the best of the best will feature in a forthcoming edition of FourFourTwo magazine.

So if you want your son, daughter, husband, wife or mate to possibly grace the pages of Australia’s only soccer magazine then get clicking and send your pictures through each week to pictures@fourfourtwo.net.au with a brief description of the photo included.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/250646,send-us-your-best-footy-pix.aspx

my attempts at some more generic photography that pleases more of the hipster/party photographer majority of facebook.

first was taken when it pissed down in my suburb (south eastern) in my street.

second in the gardens near the imperial/parliament house. (second shot's kind of out of focus cause i used a 1.8 aperture which was kind of stupid at such a close distance/ tight frame as i was using 50mm, but compensates as the background is great and creamy.)

378272_518369341512612_1330750826_n.jpg

622422_512400838776129_1029475551_o.jpg

Edited by macri
  • Like 1