Melbourne Football

Photography

bazzatron

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Great stuff Hedaik, what are you shooting with at the minute?

Olympus EM5 + Panasonic 12-35mm and Panasonic 100-300mm, and the Garmin Virb on my bicycle. Unfortunately the 100-300 isnt the greatest quality at 250mm+ as you can see from the above. 

I dont get out much anymore to shoot so I'll be stuck with that combo until something breaks. 

Edited by hedaik

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 02/02/2016 at 0:37 PM, Young Polak said:

As you will see if you take a look at the Warhol/Wei Wei exhibition, art has nothing to do with talent, pleasant aesthetics or intelligence. It is all to do with the artists reputation and how much art collectors feel their investment will be worth down the track.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got to sit on the endline with the Canon Collective today and take a few shots because I won a Cityzens comp - seriously recommend entering to those on here that are into their photography next time they run this (think they said they will again in April or something), you get to use some sweet equipment (the lens I used in the second half was worth $12k) and you get a brilliant view of the game.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm the world's worst photographer, but I hope I have some appreciation of the work of others.

I found some of these to be quite superb. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-08/national-geographic-travel-photography-of-the-year-contest/7580064

Nat Geo always have magnificent images. Unfortunately like most media outlets they are opting to use amataurs work for free rather than having staff photographers

Having gear that does the work for you is great IMO. The problem i have is that even when a lot of "photographers" have automatic set ups they still dont know anything about composition or colour theory.

The gear has taken care of everything. All they need to do is frame something interesting and they cant even do that!

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenSeater said:

It's still pretty clear the difference between somebody who knows what they're doing and somebody on auto settings. Sure auto settings can produce good shots, but nothing compares to somebody who knows what they're doing using different settings to create real art

The white house photographer sometimes used an i-phone and created some incredible images with it. As have may other very great photographers. You just need the right tool for the right job.

"Real art" is very subjective and if you dismiss something based purely on the method rather than the result then you are missing the point of art in my opinion.

2 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

The white house photographer sometimes used an i-phone and created some incredible images with it. As have may other very great photographers. You just need the right tool for the right job.

"Real art" is very subjective and if you dismiss something based purely on the method rather than the result then you are missing the point of art in my opinion.

Yeah what I said was poorly worded tbh. I meant that whilst it's all well and good to use auto settings or even an iphone in many situations, having the knowledge of your equiptment and how to use different settings to create an image exactly the way you want it is extremely valuable if you want to produce shots at the highest level you personally can. In the end you're right though it all comes down to your ability to capture what it is that you want to capture and to convey the emotions or meanings that you want to express.

6 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Yeah what I said was poorly worded tbh. I meant that whilst it's all well and good to use auto settings or even an iphone in many situations, having the knowledge of your equiptment and how to use different settings to create an image exactly the way you want it is extremely valuable if you want to produce shots at the highest level you personally can. In the end you're right though it all comes down to your ability to capture what it is that you want to capture and to convey the emotions or meanings that you want to express.

I know what you are saying though. I dont think technology has reached a stage where its made knowing your settings obsolete just yet but i seems to be heading that way imo.

Its a pretty exciting time to be into photography personally. Although with everyone on a level playing field with technical knowledge we are definitely being swamped by people who think they are photographers and are clearly not, it also allows people with a real gift to be able to produce great work straight away without having to spend insane amounts of money on equipment.

A lot of really good photographers have given up because of the cost and time it takes to produce good images, particularly in the pre-digital age. I like that we are reaching an era where anyone with the talent and drive to succeed will be able to achieve it and access to expensive gear is not a factor.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 18/05/2016 at 11:08 AM, GreenSeater said:

Pretty happy with the new lens I must say. Here's a shot I snapped in Kinglake looking over the city lights on Sunday.

rcDDoEV.jpg

thats fkn dope

i got a poverty nikon d5300 + sigma 70-300mm lens for some random sports photog now and then but always wanted to snap pics of the milky way and shit. 

What lense/settings will do that (or similar)? 

6 hours ago, strider said:

thats fkn dope

i got a poverty nikon d5300 + sigma 70-300mm lens for some random sports photog now and then but always wanted to snap pics of the milky way and shit. 

What lense/settings will do that (or similar)? 

Cheers man, I shot this with a poverty Canon 1200d + Canon 24mm pancake lens (also extremely cheap). Pretty much you need to go somewhere dark so there isn't much light pollution, you need a tripod and you need a wide angle lens with high aperture. You shoot it basically wide open, so f2 for the lens I used I think. Then you need a long shutter time. This one I used about a 30 second exposure at iso 1600 or so. Basically high aperture, long exposure and high iso. The wider angle the lens the better too so you can capture more of the sky. Then of course to get the best out of it you need to fix it up in lightroom. Here's another milky way shot I took from your favourite place, Fiji last year. This was from Beachcomber Island.

ic7cBQh.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Cheers man, I shot this with a poverty Canon 1200d + Canon 24mm pancake lens (also extremely cheap). Pretty much you need to go somewhere dark so there isn't much light pollution, you need a tripod and you need a wide angle lens with high aperture. You shoot it basically wide open, so f2 for the lens I used I think. Then you need a long shutter time. This one I used about a 30 second exposure at iso 1600 or so. Basically high aperture, long exposure and high iso. The wider angle the lens the better too so you can capture more of the sky. Then of course to get the best out of it you need to fix it up in lightroom. Here's another milky way shot I took from your favourite place, Fiji last year. This was from Beachcomber Island.

ic7cBQh.jpg

Great now I have an erection on the tram. That is one sexy photo 

• Like 1