Melbourne Football

Photography

bazzatron

Show us your best snaps and discuss your equipment.

I'm about to receive a Nikon D3100 with an AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm lense:

D3100_18_55_front34r_l1285950233_414.jpg

This will be my first DLSR and a decent upgrade from my 8 year old Panasonic Lumix FZ-20:

post-1-1216571899_thumb.jpg

The Panasonic is by no means a poor camera, from 2004 it has 5mp and 12x Optical zoom! Still works great to this day, but it is noticeably slow to process full res images.

Edited by bazzatron
  • Like 3

Bodies - Canon 5D mark 2, Canon 20D. (20D very old, was one of canons first SLR's, but comes in handy as its not full frame like the 5D)

Lenses -

seven L series lenses, most recent addition of which is the 100mm Macro.

various other lesser canon lenses such as the 50mm that zave has, a 28mm, and a few others.

two Zeis lenses, a 21 and 50, both amazing.

and various other components for filming.

Mirin??????????

I'm kidding it's all my dads, whose been obsessed with photography since he was young. None the less, I have access to all the above!

Edited by salzy
  • Like 1

As most of you would have probably noticed I am using some pretty basic equipment (for what I shoot anyway). Just a stock standard Cannon 450D with kit lenses 18-55mm and 55-250mm bought from JB.

My 18-55mm lens auto focus does not work any more, the 55-250mm lens is so slow to focus that I have missed countless "Kodak moments" and my body has been punished near to death and had so much beer splashed over it over the past two seasons the processor is starting to lag like a bitch. But I love still it.

• Like 1

Thought I might share some of my favorite (non football) photography/photographers with you.

Boogie-

is a Serbian born photographer based out of New York City. What sets Boogie apart is his ability to frame another aspect of life that we aren’t willing to explore up-close and personal. Boogie takes photos of gangs, drugs, and violence with his signature black and white style. A style which is often fitting to describe a somber and unfavorable lifestyle, yet, still interesting.

boogie-photography-2.jpg

boogie-photography-11.jpg

boogie5.jpg

art-photography-boogie-pigeon.jpg

Boogie8.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1291897716299

KSK, do you like Platon?

Heard him speak at Semi Permanent this year, and he was fantastic!

Went through stories behind most of his major pictures, and not only was his work great, he seemed like a good guy, and a fantastic speaker.

Was the last speaker of the two day conference, and everyone I went with walked away speechless.

Mostly a portrait photographer, but he has taken photos of most of the major players in the world at the moment.

tumblr_limobkYASL1qedj2ho1_400.jpg

Muhammad-Ali.jpg

platon_01.jpg

vvp_landing.jpg

platone28094berlusconi.jpg

I am honestly not a huge fan of studio portraiture work. Thats not to say I dont appreciate it or think its good. Studio portraiture is extremely difficult, but it just doesnt grab me. Platon's work is obviously fantastic and I admire what he does, but it does not blow my socks off.

Crazy story though!

Edited by KSK_47

• 2 weeks later...

I have stumbled across yet another funny non-league blog. They seem to be popping up everywhere!... either that or they are some kind of fad that has been happening for ages and I have only picked up on it now- most likely ages after everyone has got bored of them. Probably that one actually.

Anyway this one called Crap Photos of Non League is pretty self explanatory. Its exactly that. Photos showcasing the crapness of non league football or crap photos taken at non league matches. Fairly amusing

tumblr_lxya36g1u21r3w1hro1_400.jpg

http://crapphotosofn...gue.tumblr.com/

Edited by KSK_47

Don't have the eye for photography, but like anyone else have been able to appreciate and enjoy good photography.

Here are a few pictures I found on a friend of a friends Flickr taken at the Old Carlaw Park in Auckland. Was the home of League in NZ before Mt Smart was erected for the 1990 Commonwealth games and the Warriors inception. It has been used as a Carpark recently, but now nothing is left of it now.

179421423_46e6bb0444.jpg

184577222_72c003629d.jpg

181361085_b9a01f9c1f.jpg

178794054_e9d013f1b5_z.jpg?zz=1

178792963_ed1bf799c9_z.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Heading off traveling soon and am looking for a new camera.

Been looking at a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V and they look pretty good but I'm curious about Compact SLR's like the Nikon J1.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a decent compact/superzoom at at about the 3-500 dollar mark?

Ouch! would not be a happy camper if that happened to me. Especially after seeing the price of those.

Not looking at a full SLR, Have shot with my partners eos 400D, I know they're good camera's but having always shot point and shoot's I'm used to shooting at arms length and find it awkward to use at arms length, plus I don't want the bulk while travelling which is why I was thinking a Compact SLR.

I gather most people in here would shoot normal SLR's but thought I'd be worth seeing if anyone had any experience with a compact.

Edited by Hammerhead

There are others on this forum that know way more about equipment than me, so my advice is prob not the best. But seeing as nobody is answering...

- I have little experience with compact SLRs. I have only had two of them (years ago) one was a Nikon, one was a Cannon and thats about all I can remember about them. The Nikon seemed to have a bit of a slow processor, so it took the picture about half a second after you pressed the button which was really annoying so be sure to see if you can give it a test run before you buy it. Other than that I cant really offer much advice.

- As for SLR cameras, if you are just wanting to dip your toe in the pool so to speak, I would recommend the Cannon 400D. Its cheap, piss easy to use, comes with two lenses and takes great shots. The only complaint is that the auto-focus on the 18-55mm lens has a stopped working (after about 2 or so years) which is a common problem. You can still focus manually, but view finders and manual focus functions tend to be an after thought in digital cameras due to auto-focus being the default setting.

Thats about all the advice I can give TBH

• Like 1

There are others on this forum that know way more about equipment than me, so my advice is prob not the best. But seeing as nobody is answering...

- I have little experience with compact SLRs. I have only had two of them (years ago) one was a Nikon, one was a Cannon and thats about all I can remember about them. The Nikon seemed to have a bit of a slow processor, so it took the picture about half a second after you pressed the button which was really annoying so be sure to see if you can give it a test run before you buy it. Other than that I cant really offer much advice.

- As for SLR cameras, if you are just wanting to dip your toe in the pool so to speak, I would recommend the Cannon 400D. Its cheap, piss easy to use, comes with two lenses and takes great shots. The only complaint is that the auto-focus on the 18-55mm lens has a stopped working (after about 2 or so years) which is a common problem. You can still focus manually, but view finders and manual focus functions tend to be an after thought in digital cameras due to auto-focus being the default setting.

Thats about all the advice I can give TBH

cheers mate, owe you a like!

so would you say SLR's are the better choice, rather than Compact SLR's?

cheers mate, owe you a like!

so would you say SLR's are the better choice, rather than Compact SLR's?

It really does depend on what and how you are shooting. As with everything in life, people will quite often over capitalize and cameras tend to be something that lots of people do this with. If its just to take snap shots here and there then a compact SLR will be more than sufficient. They are smaller, cheaper, just as if not easier to use and get great results. In fact its got to the point were camera phones are taking pictures of a similar quality to a decent point and click too. I know of a few photographers that have held exhibitions containing only shots taken on their camera phone, so unless you are wanting to get particularly creative with your shooting I would go a compact.

However, shooting with an SLR is an absolute joy as they will always produce the best shots! I love it. Even chasing my kids around the back yard with my SLR has captured some fantastic shots that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

SLRs are best for playing with the depth of field (if you know what that means ignore this- depth of field being when something is in focus such as a person, while the background is "blurry"), plus you can take complete control of a shot which is something that can really come in handy once you know what you are doing.

So, as I say. It depends on what you are using it for and how "arty" you want to get.

• Like 1

another couple of questions....

is this any good, or is it best to invest in a more expensive camera: http://www.teds.com....5mm-std-kit-blk

also is the 18-55mm lens a good option?

I would suggest to maybe buy the 550d http://www.teds.com.au/canon-eos-550d

its give you a bit more freedom with what you can do than the 1100d. Which will make a big difference in the long run. Its only a little bit more expensive too.

compare the specifications of each camera and weigh it up.

The 18-55mm lens, is not a very good lens, but is fine for a beginner wanting to fiddle round and experiment.

have you considered a non-zoom lens? something like a 50mm http://www.teds.com.au/canon-ef-50mm-f1-8-ii . The 50mm is a very good lens for the money and it produces great clear shots.

• Like 1

Something to keep in mind when using a prime lens (one that you cant zoom in and out on) is that you are limited as to where you can shoot from. If you have to take a shot quickly and you are up close to your subject, having a take a 50mm prime lens attached can be infuriating.

But yes, they do take some great shots with a nice soft focus to them and are pretty cheap.

I would suggest to maybe buy the 550d http://www.teds.com.au/canon-eos-550d

its give you a bit more freedom with what you can do than the 1100d. Which will make a big difference in the long run. Its only a little bit more expensive too.

compare the specifications of each camera and weigh it up.

The 18-55mm lens, is not a very good lens, but is fine for a beginner wanting to fiddle round and experiment.

have you considered a non-zoom lens? something like a 50mm http://www.teds.com....ef-50mm-f1-8-ii . The 50mm is a very good lens for the money and it produces great clear shots.

cheers mate, still doing my research!

out of curiosity, whats the sort of freedom the 550D would give me compared to others? i agree though, the 550D does look the better option to me.

got no clue about lenses, going to have to look into that.

550d compared to the 1100d will give you higher image quality with 18mp compared to 12mp, if filming you will have full HD recording, higher fps, bigger screen, built in dust remover resulting in clearer images and it also has 2 more custom features but not 100% sure what they are.

550d compared to the 1100d will give you higher image quality with 18mp compared to 12mp, if filming you will have full HD recording, higher fps, bigger screen, built in dust remover resulting in clearer images and it also has 2 more custom features but not 100% sure what they are.

thanks again mate. thinking of getting the 18-55mm lens for now, and can upgrade later if necessary. how much zoom/flexibility will this give me?