Melbourne Football

Vi7it0rs

Ando

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Can’t really lose though can they? I mean they’re rubbish.
Give up on this season  and save money by hiring whoever will work for the least.

I was making an in poor taste joke about Grant Brebners gambling habit, I'd be very surprised if he had any effect on their performances.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

They're gonna be cooked for a couple of seasons I think.

As much as I hate him, Muscat clearly was a pretty good A-League manager and managed to consistently keep whatever squad was thrown at him around the top of the table. There's every chance their next manager(s) are nowhere near that level, and I can't see their usual carousel of ex-players running back to help out a team hovering around 6th place.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Is this their worst-ever season since the league expanded beyond 8 clubs?

by far their worst ever season since the start of the a league.

** PpG  = points per game **

This season of the a league they will finish 2nd last & have a PpG of 0.833, 14 losses and a -14 GD currently.

Season 1 of the a league they finished 2nd last holding a total PpG of 1.238, 9 losses and a +2 GD (they only bettered New Zealand Knights)

Season 7 of the a league they finished 3rd last holding a total PpG of 1.074, 10 losses and a -8 GD (it was our second season as Heart and finished 6th)

They have Perth and Wanderers to come, meaning they probably wont get 1 PpG (they have to win both).

FWIW, our season where we finished last, we had a PpG of 0.963, lost 13 (having played 27 games to Victory's 26 games this season) and a -6 GD (we actually drew 2 and lost 4 of our last 6 games, so we were on track to do much better until our usual end of season fade away).

So funnily enough, one could argue through comparison that John Aloisi was actually unlucky to "win" the wooden spoon with us that season when Victory have been total rubbish this season.  Then again, we did only get 4 points from games that season (for a 0.333 PpG).  It also magnifies how much better we would have been if Engelaar had been fully fit at the start of the season.

on an additional note, in season 2 of the a league, New Zealand Knights had a PpG of 0.9048 - Victory would need a win and draw from their last two games or else their current season would be worse than one of the New Zealand Knights' seasons

Edited by mattyh001
Funnily enough comment
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 04/08/2020 at 9:58 PM, Shahanga said:

The solution, sack the gaffer, sack one of the starting midfielders and bring in a 4th high $ forward.

Couldn't agree with this more. They essentially threw all money at Rojas just so we couldn't have him. Fine by me. Hope they enjoy battling it out for the wooden spoon for many season to come.

35 minutes ago, IssySG said:

Couldn't agree with this more. They essentially threw all money at Rojas just so we couldn't have him. Fine by me. Hope they enjoy battling it out for the wooden spoon for many season to come.

Maybe im giving us too much credit, but i wonder whether this was perhaps the plan all along. Worst case scenario we sign a very good player, if it comes off the tards waste more of their cap on a position they didnt need.

• Like 1

Lol rumour from their podcast that Pappas has pulled out of contention. Never will there be  a more appropriate time for my sig

Oh and Michael Lynch just popped up saying he has heard the same thing

aloisi4.gifaloisi4.gifaloisi4.gifaloisi4.gifaloisi4.gifaloisi4.gifaloisi4.gifaloisi4.gifaloisi4.gifaloisi4.gifaloisi4.gifaloisi4.gifaloisi4.gifaloisi4.gifaloisi4.gifaloisi4.gifaloisi4.gifaloisi4.gifaloisi4.gifaloisi4.gif

Edited by Dylan

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

WTF happened to this mob this season? In the past they've always shown plenty of resilience when things have started to go against them, but not this season.

As much as I hate to say it....I think we all know what the big difference is, and perhaps that difference was more competent than any of us ever wanted to admit.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Brebner announced as full time head coach.  apparently best candidate - LOL.

sounds to me that they got fuck all applicants and have gone with the cheapest option - particularly as he is internal.

Durakovic 2.0 - you read it here first

Edited by mattyh001

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Callum McManaman just announced on a two year deal. 

Featured in 50 odd games across the last two seasons for Wigan and then Luton in England's Championship. Given most Championship teams play roughly 50 games a season, makes you wonder what his deal is (particularly as most of his games last season saw him come off the bench) 

2 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

Featured in 50 odd games across the last two seasons for Wigan and then Luton in England's Championship. Given most Championship teams play roughly 50 games a season, makes you wonder what his deal is (particularly as most of his games last season saw him come off the bench) 

I couldn't tell if it was my City bias, but I'm not sure I understand the fanfare around this signing?

4 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

2 hours ago, IssySG said:

I couldn't tell if it was my City bias, but I'm not sure I understand the fanfare around this signing?

He is ex Prem, and the name carries a bit weight due to a certain uncle / cousin who won shit at Real Madrid after being a gun youth product at Liverpool (similar to Fowler and Owen).

with his recent playing history (or distinct patchy one), I suspect injury may have hampered his career (never really followed him tho).

22 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

He is ex Prem, and the name carries a bit weight due to a certain uncle / cousin who won shit at Real Madrid after being a gun youth product at Liverpool (similar to Fowler and Owen).

with his recent playing history (or distinct patchy one), I suspect injury may have hampered his career (never really followed him tho).

Fucking hell, scouting the cousins of stars? Good luck with that approach.

21 hours ago, jw1739 said:

A slightly shitter version of Craig Noone perhaps?

Fixed

Rumour doing the rounds that they've signed Ben Folami on loan from Ipswich, Young Socceroo/Olyroo striker who played a few games at Ipswich as a teenager and everyone was thinking he was the next big thing, then a loan to Stevenage where he did nothing before Covid shut down the lower leagues. This is the type of signing the Mariners should be making, doubt he'll be anything more than an insurance policy if they can't sign anyone better.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

On the the Simon Hill, Zalac and Moore podcast, Muscat addressed the Zahra tackle and was oddly repentant about it (not oddly because it didn't deserve repentance, but odd because I didn't know he had it in him) 

MUSKY on "that tackle" - "Everything that happened post-that, I can't say it wasn't...well, deserved isn't the right word, but I have to take responsibility & be accountable for my actions. I sincerely wish that it hadn't happened, but it did, & it was my error, my misjudgment."

On 17/11/2020 at 7:37 AM, Tommykins said:

On the the Simon Hill, Zalac and Moore podcast, Muscat addressed the Zahra tackle and was oddly repentant about it (not oddly because it didn't deserve repentance, but odd because I didn't know he had it in him) 

Back when I was coaching kids, my club organised for him to come and visit one evening. I was somewhat perturbed as whilst he might have had a notable professional career, that tackle (And it’s consequences) was not the sort of behaviour we wanted to see from our kids.

I checked all his public statements prior to considering lodging an official protest to the club. He was quite contrite afterwards and thus I held my peace.

So in short, he knew he’d fucked up pretty bad.

19 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Back when I was coaching kids, my club organised for him to come and visit one evening. I was somewhat perturbed as whilst he might have had a notable professional career, that tackle (And it’s consequences) was not the sort of behaviour we wanted to see from our kids.

I checked all his public statements prior to considering lodging an official protest to the club. He was quite contrite afterwards and thus I held my peace.

So in short, he knew he’d fucked up pretty bad.

People who are about to be punished generally are, though one has to wonder if they are genuinely contrite due to the pain and suffering they have caused or because of the negative consequences they brought upon themselves.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, malloy said:

People who are about to be punished generally are, though one has to wonder if they are genuinely contrite due to the pain and suffering they have caused or because of the negative consequences they brought upon themselves.

Indeed.

i well remember the Millwall-Sunderland FA Cup semi when McAteer produced a truly horrible tackle (which somehow only earnt yellow) on Muscat, who left on a stretcher and was unavailable for the final against Manchester United as a result and thus missed what would have been the biggest game of his career. 
I know that happened years earlier but I can’t help feel there was something poetic about it. (Just sad he clearly learnt the wrong lesson that day).

44 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Indeed.

i well remember the Millwall-Sunderland FA Cup semi when McAteer produced a truly horrible tackle (which somehow only earnt yellow) on Muscat, who left on a stretcher and was unavailable for the final against Manchester United as a result and thus missed what would have been the biggest game of his career. 
I know that happened years earlier but I can’t help feel there was something poetic about it. (Just sad he clearly learnt the wrong lesson that day).

Personally, I would have thought this would have taught him a lesson:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/muscats-606-000-tackle-20040225-gdxdkp.html