Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

Curtis Joy at his Good Start

18 Feb 2014

John Davidson

Centre back Curtis Good has got off to a flying start in Scotland, helping new club Dundee United to a three-game unbeaten run, and is hoping the switch puts him in the frame for Socceroo selection.

The defender joined United two and half weeks ago, on loan from Newcastle United for the rest of season, and has already made three appearances for the Tangerines.

Good played 90 minutes in their 1-1 draw with Partick Thistle in the Scottish Premier League and backed it up with another full game in defence in the 2-1 Scottish Cup win over St Mirren.

He then scored with a header in the club’s 3-2 victory in the league against Kilmarnock.

“So far I’m loving it,” Good said. “They’re a great bunch of players and yeah so happy to be here.

[it’s a] bit disappointing with the draw first up, I think we could have got the three points but I thought in the Cup we played really well. The score was only 2-1 but I thought it could have been a lot more our way.”

Good was delighted to get his first goal for Dundee United on the weekend, after heading the ball past the Killie keeper from a corner.

“It was a great feeling, it has been a while since I scored so I was a bit surprised when it went in,” he said. “But I'm really glad to get on the scoresheet and get the three points.”

Relegated to reserve team football for most of the season at Newcastle, Good sought out a loan move with St Mirren one club interested in him. He chose Dundee United because of the chance of regular football and the club’s reputation for playing passing football.

“It was tough to get a first-team look in at Newcastle so it was a last minute thing,” Good said. “It was a day before the deadline they called me on the Thursday and wanted me to come up Friday and play Saturday so it all happened quickly.

“When Jackie called me he said he wanted me to play on Saturday so I knew they were pretty short at the back. It was a matter of trying to fit in as quick as possible really and straight into the games.

“I’ve been very, very happy with the [standard of the] Scottish league. I hadn’t known much about it, I hadn’t watched much of it but when I came here, especially Dundee, they try and play as much football as possible.

"In our first two games I’ve noticed we try to play the ball out and we’ve got a lot of good young players in the team who are good on the ball and good at creating stuff.”

Since departing Melbourne Heart in 2012 the left-sided stopper has made one appearance for Newcastle in the League Cup and had a short spell on loan at Bradford in League Two. Good also captained the Olyroos at the recent AFC Under-22 Championship in Oman and appeared for the Young Socceroos at the 2013 Under-20 World Cup.

The 20-year old’s target is to play in every game possible for Dundee United in the rest of the season and push for a centre half spot in Ange Postecoglou’s back four.

“Just be involved in as much games as possible really and obviously win those games for the club and the fan,” Good said. “Also it would be good to have a Cup run. We’re in the quarters now and we’ve got a bit of a tough draw, we’ll be playing Inverness away. It’s a tough draw but definitely hopeful.

“That’s [the Socceroos] why I went on loan really. I wanted to be put on the radar, maybe not for this World Cup but just to put your name out there and say you’re playing first-team football, giving yourself every opportunity I guess.

“Obviously I’m hopeful to be selected for the Ecuador game. I’ll have to wait and see.”

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/curtis-joy-his-good-start

Edited by Murfy1

• 2 weeks later...

appears to be on trial

http://www.delcotimes.com/article/ZZ/20140127/SPORTS/140129913

"Among the trialists is one name that will be familiar to Union fans: Fred. The Brazilian attacking midfielder who made 25 MLS appearances for the Union in 2010, scoring four goals, is out of contract after a stint with Melbourne Heart in Australia’s A-League. Fred played five seasons in MLS, the other four with D.C. United"

Hibernian v Dundee United: Golden chance for defender to impress ahead of World Cup

Ian Roache

28 February, 2014

Never mind sunshine on Leith, Dundee United defender Curtis Good could be soaking up the rays in Rio.

The 20-year-old Australian, who will be at the heart of the Tangerines’ defence when they face Hibs at Easter Road, has been handed a golden chance of being at the World Cup in Brazil this summer.

Good has been named in the Socceroos’ squad for the friendly against Ecuador at the New Den in London on Wednesday night.

If he makes his senior debut for his country and impresses coach Ange Postecoglou then he could be on the plane to Rio de Janeiro to take part in the greatest show on earth.

Understandably, these are exciting times for the man who joined United on loan from Newcastle just last month but who has looked right at home in tangerine.

He has important club business to attend to first, with Jackie McNamara’s men desperate to push themselves back above Inverness Caley Thistle and closer to Motherwell and Aberdeen by beating Hibs.

After Friday night’s clash, he will be packing his bag and heading down to London to join Australia’s training camp and prepare for the match at Millwall.

It will be the final fixture for Australia before the 30-man provisional World Cup squad is announced and Postecoglou has declared that anyone showing up well against the Ecuadorians will be in his thoughts for the Group B games against Chile, the Netherlands and Spain at the finals.

So no wonder Good is relishing this opportunity.

“When you start playing football as a kid that’s what you want to end up doing--playing for your national side,” he said.

“I got a call saying I was on the provisional list and to wait on the official one coming out. Thankfully, my name was there and it was a big thrill.

“It is good timing, I guess. We are playing Ecuador which will be a tough game but it is a great opportunity to impress the coach and I will do my best if selected.

“I have been trying hard not to get too excited about it but it hasn’t been easy. Brazil is a long way away yet but it would be great if it could happen for me.

“I have to keep working hard both for Dundee United and next week if I am in the international team.”

The Good news has travelled all the way Down Under, with father Michael, mother Denies, older sister Ashley and younger brother Travis all delighted for him.

He confirmed that the clan will be glued to their TVs next midweek--Thursday morning Aussie time--to watch the game.

“They have all been very happy to hear the news,” he said.

“They are maybe a bit shocked as well!

“It is nice to know I will make them proud if I get my first cap. It’s an exciting time for the family.

“They are all back in Australia so I don’t think they will be tempted to come across for the game. It’s a little bit too far to travel!

“It would take 24 hours to get here and then 24 to go back gain and they have things like work to consider. Still, it will be shown on TV back home so they can see the game while they are eating breakfast.

“I have had a load of text messages from them, especially my mum. I do use Skype to chat to my parents a couple of times a week so they know how I am doing.

“When you choose to leave your family to go and pursue a career overseas it can be tough. But it’s something you have to do to pursue a career in football and plenty of Australian players have done it in the past.”

Aussie coach Postecoglou has stressed that playing regular first-team games at club level influenced his decision to call up Good as well as fellow newcomers Chris Herd of Aston Villa, Ben Halloran of Fortuna Dusseldorf and Swindon’s Massimo Luongo.

So his move from the Magpies has worked for him.

“It has been important that I have been playing regular games for United,” admitted Good.

“My aim before coming up was to play week in, week out and I knew that I would get that opportunity here. The loan deal has turned out really well for me, to say the least.

“I didn’t know what to expect and hadn’t seen too much Scottish football but I have been pleasantly surprised.”

It has also been so far so good for the defender results-wise. His debut was a draw at Partick Thistle and that was followed by three wins on the bounce against St Mirren, Kilmarnock and Motherwell.

He said: “It was disappointing for us that Aberdeen beat Celtic the other night but we are still looking to finish as high up the table as possible.

“There is a sniff of a good finish for us and if we continue the form that we have been showing then we can do well.”

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/dundee-united/hibernian-v-dundee-united-golden-chance-for-defender-to-impress-ahead-of-world-cup-1.245419

Very pleased to see Good doing so well. I've got a feeling that he'll handle himself pretty well when he's apart of Socceroos' squads, and I believe he'll steadily keep making more progress in Europe.

Other news about former Heart personnel. John Aloisi will be on the Santo, Sam and Ed Total Football show this Sunday at 7.10pm, whilst Ante Milicic will be on Fox Sports Shootout at 7.40pm straight after. I wonder if John and Ante will cross paths at the Fox Sports studios this Sunday lol.

Edited by Murfy1

It looks likely that Fred will sign for Philadelphia:

UNION: In return to Union, Fred hopes to be more than just familiar face

03/05/14

UPPER MERION — There’s not much that takes the smile away from Fred’s face at Philadelphia Union training these days.

Out there on the pitch with his teammates, some almost half his age, the 34-year-old Brazilian is happy to be back on the team that he helped navigate through its inaugural MLS season.

Well, maybe there’s one problem.

“I don’t like when they call me ‘grandpa,’” Fred said Tuesday after training at YSC Sports. “They were very welcoming to me and very happy to have me back.”

Fred, who arrived at the start of the preseason on trial with the Union, remains with the club in the days leading up to the season opener. While he has yet to officially sign a contract, there are strong indications that he could stick with the club.

The situation has changed in four years for Fred. He was a charter member of the original Union squad, making 25 appearances and scoring four times for that team. It was part of a half-decade stay in MLS for the native of Belo Horizonte, Brazil, bookended by stints with D.C. United.

After leaving D.C. in 2011, he spent two seasons in the Australian A-League, playing with the Melbourne Heart. He was named a league all-star, but injuries and coaching changes limited his opportunities the following year.

Out of contract last season, the Union gave him a ring … though not about his availability.

“They called me when Fabinho came,” Fred said. “They asked about Fabinho because I played with him in Australia.”

An invitation to come out and train with the club was also offered last season, but Fred declined. This year, though, he accepted an invitation to go on trial with the club and has done enough to position himself for a possible role with the club.

According to manager John Hackworth, who couched his praise in hypotheticals given the fact that no deal has yet been signed, Fred’s value to the Union is as much on the field as it is off.

“He’s at the upper end of his career obviously, but he brings a wealth of experience, but he is a fantastic player to watch still,” Hackworth said. “He brought back some quality as far as a player, but at the same time, he brings so much experience, and we have a lot of guys in our locker room that are speaking Portuguese this year. He’s kind of like the elder statesman, and you need the balance of having leaders and things like that. Fred has come in and having been here in 2010, it’s kind of a seamless transition for him.”

The time away gives Fred a unique perspective on the changes that have occurred since that inaugural season.

“I think the players look older now,” Fred said with his characteristic sense of humor. “They are more experienced, like Amobi (Okugo), Jack (McInerney), (Sheanon) Williams. They’re much more experienced now and it was great to come here and try to help them.”

A common theme, beyond the smiles, runs through Fred’s conversation: He’s here to help the Union, somehow, some way. Whether that’s in mentoring promising young Brazilian-born midfielders like Pedro Ribeiro and Leo Fernandes or contributing on the scoresheet, Fred is up for the challenge in the twilight of his career.

And those around him are certainly happy to have him there.

“I call him ‘grandpa’ every day,” said Hackworth, 44. “One of the best things about Fred is his smile. You make a joke about Fred, you call him grandpa, and he smiles at you and it’s contagious.”

Though no clarity was given on Fred’s situation, the club did finalize a pair of deals Wednesday.

The club reached agreements with first-round draft pick Pedro Ribeiro and third-round pick Richie Marquez and released veteran Matt Kassel.

Both Marquez, a central defender, and Ribeiro are injured. The added defensive depth this offseason made Kassel, who made five MLS appearances totaling 90 minutes last season, expendable.

http://www.pottsmerc.com/sports/20140305/union-in-return-to-union-fred-hopes-to-be-more-than-just-familiar-face

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Babalj on the Comeback Trail

Two-time Socceroos striker Eli Babalj has taken a big step in his recovery from injury by tasting competitive action for the first time in more than six months.

Babalj started and played the first half of Jong AZ Alkmaar’s 1-0 loss to Jong Roda JC on Monday night, before being replaced at the break as planned.

The appearance marked the Australian’s first piece of competitive football since late August when he scored for Jong AZ in a 4-1 win.

Babalj had been on the fringes of the AZ first team before undergoing hernia and adductor surgery in September.

The Perth-raised 22-year-old suffered a setback in his recovery after the turn of the year, but took a big stride forward in playing on Monday night.

Babalj, who debuted for Australia against Korea in November 2012 and has two international goals to his name, could be an outsider for the World Cup squad.

The Socceroos appear short on options up front, prompting talk of potential call-ups for Newcastle Jets youngster Adam Taggart and veteran Harry Kewell.

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/babalj-comeback-trail#W0yBcY0VFBUl74kK.99

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

IMO he wasn't physical enough for the A-League in terms of Pace, Strength etc. and didn't suit being played as a lone forward. He would get way too isolated up front and I can't help but think that maybe if he & Mifsud played together as a front 2 it would have worked but who knows.

IMO he wasn't physical enough for the A-League in terms of Pace, Strength etc. and didn't suit being played as a lone forward. He would get way too isolated up front and I can't help but think that maybe if he & Mifsud played together as a front 2 it would have worked but who knows.

Yeah, that's all true, I was more or less thinking how well he could have done with the ball played to his feet, instead of poor long balls constantly flying over his head.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thats not arry. Think thats ricky castro?

1377449542181.jpg

hahahahahahah funniest post in a very long time and i dont even know why!

no joke....players name is ricky castro

Ricky was their stand out. Really good player.

good sketch too... lol

Thats not arry. Think thats ricky castro?

1377449542181.jpg

hahahahahahah funniest post in a very long time and i dont even know why!

no joke....players name is ricky castro

Yes we established that.

hahahah need to post that picture again

Melbourne Heart's favourite son Richard Garcia has today made a move abroad to the prestigious North American powerhouse, Minnesota United.

Fucking lol.

Pretty humourous considering how his original reason for leaving Heart was because he wanted to be closer to his family in Perth. :droy:

I wonder if the outspoken Garcia fans on here a year ago who thought he was hard done by (For rejecting a 300k contract to resign for Heart) feel about this news? :hmm:

Melbourne Heart's favourite son Richard Garcia has today made a move abroad to the prestigious North American powerhouse, Minnesota United.

Fucking lol.

Would surely be a lower standard than the A-League but probably not too far off, Minnesota are looking to be included in the MLS and are front runners for when the next licence is awarded, so they probably have decent money to invest in building a good team that will draw solid crowds and increase their chances of being awarded an MLS licence.

Fucking lol.

Would surely be a lower standard than the A-League but probably not too far off, Minnesota are looking to be included in the MLS and are front runners for when the next licence is awarded, so they probably have decent money to invest in building a good team that will draw solid crowds and increase their chances of being awarded an MLS licence. yep their owner is loaded. I think he owns the Vikings as well.

Edit. Nope, he is loaded though

Edited by Tbitm

Fucking lol.

Would surely be a lower standard than the A-League but probably not too far off, Minnesota are looking to be included in the MLS and are front runners for when the next licence is awarded, so they probably have decent money to invest in building a good team that will draw solid crowds and increase their chances of being awarded an MLS licence. yep their owner is loaded. I think he owns the Vikings as well.

Edit. Nope, he is loaded though

So Garcia left for the money? 

I'm shocked

• Like 1