Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

23 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Not trying to be antagonistic, but based on what evidence? I only recall him playing there once for us, in a 5-10 minute FFA Cup game appearance on debut. He almost soley played LW for us, with maybe the game against Sydney away that he scored that belter as his only RW game. Tbf he played very centrally forĀ  a winger in that game, but he was a winger nonetheless.

Based on his most recent game.

27 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Based on his most recent game.

Did he play as a 10? Anyway, my point being that there was no real evidence whilst playing for us that he was capable of playing as a 10, and to suggest he's got Mauk, Bud and Vidosic covered in that spot is a bit of a stretch.

Edited by bt50

Football is just another aspect of show biz. You don't remember the chorus line, you remember the show-stopping song sung by the star of the show. In football it's the great goals and the great saves. It's the "Paartalu Derby" we remember,Ā not 45 consecutive sideways passes by Luke Brattan. Fans fill the grounds for the magic moments.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Did he play as a 10? Anyway, my point being that there was no real evidence whilst playing for us that he was capable of playing as a 10, and to suggest he's got Mauk, Bud and Vidosic covered in that spot is a bit of a stretch.

On the team formation listed had him at 10 in a 4231. All I'm saying is that in the way we have been lining up recently and if McCormack and Bruno play as the front 2 in the 532 Fernando behind in hole would be better than Mauk Vidosic or Budzinski. Now it's all hypothetical as McCormack and Bruno might not eventuate Ā (or actually work) and Fernando is gone, but it's just an opinion that we have made a mistake releasing Brandan instead of Budzinski.Ā 

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Deeming said:

Tando signed for the Nix.

:(Ā Always hoped he'd return here one day. That Brisbane game at home when we changed every chant to Tando chants's for the 2nd half and he grew taller with each minute will live on as one of my fondest City/Heart memories.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

:(Ā Always hoped he'd return here one day. That Brisbane game at home when we changed every chant to Tando chants's for the 2nd half and he grew taller with each minute will live on as one of my fondest City/Heart memories.

Disappointed that we have our two current GKs on contracts beyond this season - Bouzanis two more seasons and Galekovic one. Otherwise we could have had Tando back.

Just now, jw1739 said:

Disappointed that we have our two current GKs on contracts beyond this season - Bouzanis two more seasons and Galekovic one. Otherwise we could have had Tando back.

Tbf I'm not sure Tando is better than either but still, he was much loved. Probably of a similar level i'd suppose. Perhaps we'll see him again when Eugene retires.

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Tbf I'm not sure Tando is better than either but still, he was much loved. Probably of a similar level i'd suppose. Perhaps we'll see him again when Eugene retires.

It's that balance between what the owners want and what the fans want, isn't it?Ā 

Just now, jw1739 said:

It's that balance between what the owners want and what the fans want, isn't it?Ā 

Ah i dunno the fans want success more than anything I'd say. If that could be done by accommodating a cult hero, best case scenario but if its going to hinder that then the club can't really be blamed. Comes down to subjective preference and judgement.

• Like 1

Hereā€™s a question for you guys.

Which former City / Heart players currently playing in the A-League would you have back in ourĀ squad?

I always thought Hamill was a good player and he seems to be getting back into form. Iā€™d take him Ā over Delbridge. Then thereā€™s Wilko who I wouldnā€™t take because he treated us as a short term stepping stone to get to Sydney.

Ā 

7 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

Hereā€™s a question for you guys.

Which former City / Heart players currently playing in the A-League would you have back in ourĀ squad?

I always thought Hamill was a good player and he seems to be getting back into form. Iā€™d take him Ā over Delbridge. Then thereā€™s Wilko who I wouldnā€™t take because he treated us as a short term stepping stone to get to Sydney.

Ā 

Zullo, Tando, Garrucio (had a blinder last night). Undecided about Melling however between Delbridge and Melling - Melling.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Fernando Brandan started for CA Temperley against Newells Old Boys in the Argentina Primera today.

@bt50Ā Weren't you going to tip a bucket over the club if it didn't replace Brandan with another visa player?

Indeed. Seems we've really stuffed up there. Obv they thought Ross was going to be the man and put all their eggs in that basket, then were unable to get a deal done/find an adequate player which tbh seems like a major fuck up to me.

I will say though, that once they missed out on Eddari and we were clearly post window, its arguable that you shouldnt sign someone that wont cut it just for the sake of it, esp as you can bank up to 5% of your unspent cap and use it in the following season. Now ideally we would have made a signing that we were all happy with, and its a complete fuck up we havent, but i don't think signing anyone just for the sake of appeasing a few fans is a step forward either.

I guess what im trying to say is its absolutely a black mark, but it won't be fixed by signing a Marcel Meeuwis just to keep the wolves at bay.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@bt50 What happened with Eddahri? Did he ask too much or something? He doesn't seem to have signed with anyone else.

No idea. I assume its either $$$ related or visa related, but who knows. It's why im never over critical of clubs on specific issues that are mainly in-house, because unless you know all the facts its hard to be.

Same goes with Ross, it's impossible for us to know what happened without being directly told, and in some regards, told by both parties. I can only assume that the club were very confident of getting Ross for the 2nd half, or they'd have almost certainly been on the front foot in regards to a January signing.