Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

58 minutes ago, citypool said:

Stefan mauk is going back to Adelaide United hopefully it works out for himĀ 

He is talented but there is something not right with him. City, Adelaide, City, Brisbane and now Adelaide again and a quick stint in Holland in the middle. 6 moves and he is only 24

Ā 

14 hours ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

Young Timmy has signed up as an ambassador for the Qatar '22 WC. Proving yet again that he loves a pay day.

123.thumb.png.b14854aba7ff3f1e26051cf0f0d84f2c.png

unpopular opinion: Qatar 2022 will be one of theĀ greatĀ World Cups.

it's absolutely horrible how it's all come about with the bribery allegations, corruption andĀ the well-publicised migrant worker deaths at the stadiums but I think the tournament itself will be a huge success. It is theĀ worldĀ game after all, and the Middle East shouldn't be exempt from it despite its problems.

also, Timmy is a huge $ellout but he can do whatever tf he wants after his exploits for our national team

7 hours ago, Nate said:

Ā 

unpopular opinion: Qatar 2022 will be one of theĀ greatĀ World Cups.

it's absolutely horrible how it's all come about with the bribery allegations, corruption andĀ the well-publicised migrant worker deaths at the stadiums but I think the tournament itself will be a huge success. It is theĀ worldĀ game after all, and the Middle East shouldn't be exempt from it despite its problems.

also, Timmy is a huge $ellout but he can do whatever tf he wants after his exploits for our national team

I don't know anyone who is going although I know plenty of people that have been to teh world cups. There will be lots of Arabs and moslems but they don't have a drinking culture nor do they have a mix the sexes culture. And thus far all of the international events have flopped, not even the locals are interested.

1 hour ago, HeartFc said:

The corruption, slavery, migrantĀ worker death and general lack of human rights in this region of the world makes me sick.Ā 

They had to find the mostĀ money hungry, slimyĀ bottom feeder in world football.Ā 

They found Timothy Cahill.Ā 

Bloody hell.Ā 
Donā€™t hold back, tell us what you really think!

It might be appropriate to point out we support a club owned by the dictators of the UAE.

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Bloody hell.Ā 
Donā€™t hold back, tell us what you really think!

It might be appropriate to point out we support a club owned by the dictators of the UAE.

Believe it or not,Ā that was holding back. I've always thought Cahill was a self indulgent knob, any excuse to stick a boot inĀ I shall promptly take.Ā 

BTW I didn't change my nickname when our Arab overlords took over.Ā I'll take Rutger WormĀ overhit crosses, Alex Terra bicycle kicks and Vinne Grella's glorious 14Ā minutes over this money laundering scam of a club.Ā 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, moops said:

Gerald Sibon has had his contract terminated by Adelaide United, Verbeek gone as well.

https://www.adelaideunited.com.au/news/adelaide-united-statement-gertjan-verbeek

IMO the key point about Adelaide is in this paragraph:

ā€œGiven a number of reasons, such as the global health problems, future of the league, difficult financial situation of the Club and the need to protect and care for myĀ family, my future as head coach at Adelaide United was insecure,ā€ said Verbeek from Holland."

Ā I'm increasingly pessimistic about the future of the league.

Ā 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

IMO the key point about Adelaide is in this paragraph:

ā€œGiven a number of reasons, such as the global health problems, future of the league, difficult financial situation of the Club and the need to protect and care for myĀ family, my future as head coach at Adelaide United was insecure,ā€ said Verbeek from Holland."

Ā I'm increasingly pessimistic about the future of the league.

Ā 

CFG will just 'buy' the league and run it how they see fit.

8 hours ago, malloy said:

CFG will just 'buy' the league and run it how they see fit.

Then I canā€™t wait for CFG to introduce the visa andĀ marquee policies.

marqueeĀ player rules - must come out of a second division orĀ cannot be the best player in the squad.Ā 

And for visa players - must be unknown to the general football public and scouted of YoutubeĀ orĀ at all times at least oneĀ foreign player must have a long term injury.Ā 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

There's always going to be an appetite for football in this country - especially in Melbourne, so I'm not too worried.

Forced change might just be the thing this league needed to revamp and reverse the declining trends. It's just a big pity that some have to suffer through the short-term pain for the eventual long-term gain (thinking especially of those who have lost their jobs in the football industry).

13 hours ago, fensaddler said:

We'll be back. The off season is now, then we're back for a finale and straight into pre-season...Ā 

You're assuming that there will be no "second wave" of the COV-19. IMO this is a dangerous assumption at this stage. In fact, as testing is increasing I can see that we're not out of the woods yet.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 03/05/2020 at 11:05 AM, jw1739 said:

You're assuming that there will be no "second wave" of the COV-19. IMO this is a dangerous assumption at this stage. In fact, as testing is increasing I can see that we're not out of the woods yet.

What are this weeks lotto numbers JW?

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

https://www.nst.com.my/sports/football/2020/08/619129/safuwan-regrets-turning-down-melbourne-city-contract

I'm not sure this was widely known at the time, but apparently Safuwan was offered a contract at the club, quite liked the look of him in his very limited stint here.

Interesting! Didnā€™t know that always assumed that the club didnā€™t rate him - personally I liked what he brought, was always aggressive and even scored I remember!