Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

19 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

I imagine Chappy will be playing DM for WU like he did in Korea, as they've signed around six CBs for some reason

Because Rudan plays three at the back. The general rule for squad building is roughly two players per position, so he needs six central defenders. 

5 hours ago, citypool said:

I think azarni to Celtic was a mistake I know his injured but I don’t think it was  a good move 

It was a rubbish move that was just a money grab for the club.

After his little dribbling display at the WCF they cashed in when they promised they wouldn't months before.

They knew he wasn't ready but the accountants had their way.

So sad.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, playmaker said:

After his little dribbling display at the WCF they cashed in when they promised they wouldn't months before.

So sad.

I'm not sure about all of that. IMO it was inevitable that he would move, but what I question is a move to Celtic - as IIRC many did at the time. A very different environment than he would have previously experienced. I would have thought that a move to our associated club in Spain would have suited him much better.

57 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not sure about all of that. IMO it was inevitable that he would move, but what I question is a move to Celtic - as IIRC many did at the time. A very different environment than he would have previously experienced. I would have thought that a move to our associated club in Spain would have suited him much better.

There was a Dutch club that wanted him on loan, City convinced him to go to Celtic, that's what I recall.

11 hours ago, citypool said:

I think azarni to Celtic was a mistake I know his injured but I don’t think it was  a good move 

Time will tell but you could be right. 

10 hours ago, moops said:

Pierias started and got a goal.

One loss that we will regret 

8 hours ago, playmaker said:

So sad.

Lol hes on loan to celtic

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, bt50 said:

Lol hes on loan to celtic

For what purpose? To increase his value right.

CFG is just speculating at the detriment of the player and more importantly the detriment of the success of our team.

As I said, he peaked interest at the WCF and CFG went back on their word for the sake of $$$$ which again displays the real purpose of their acquisition of Heart.

If they really wanted to do the best thing of our team they would have triggered the contract extension clause in his contract and had him play for another season.

Obviously you can't see the forest from the trees.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, playmaker said:

CFG is just speculating at the detriment of the player and more importantly the detriment of the success of our team.

As I said, he peaked interest at the WCF and CFG went back on their word for the sake of $$$$ which again displays the real purpose of their acquisition of Heart.

If they really wanted to do the best thing of our team they would have triggered the contract extension clause in his contract and had him play for another season.

Maybe, under Le Patrone, I can't see how playing under Wazza for another season would be good for any attacking player's career

• Like 3

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

Here we go again...

As said many times when this went down back then; perhaps, just perhaps he wanted to go and if CFG didn't grant his wish to go overseas, then one of those other clubs knocking at his door back then would've snapped him up and he would have been lost to them altogether.

I don't understand why you just need to keep dragging shit up...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Maybe, under Le Patrone, I can't see how playing under Wazza for another season would be good for any attacking player's career

Very true in hindsight but Wazza knew how to manage youth, I will give him that much.

3 hours ago, rass said:

Here we go again...

As said many times when this went down back then; perhaps, just perhaps he wanted to go and if CFG didn't grant his wish to go overseas, then one of those other clubs knocking at his door back then would've snapped him up and he would have been lost to them altogether.

I don't understand why you just need to keep dragging shit up...

He was contacted so he couldn't play with another team.

Edited by playmaker

47 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Very true in hindsight but Wazza knew how to manage youth, I will give him that much.

He was contacted so he couldn't play with another team.

My understanding was that Arzani was contracted with Melbourne City until 31st May 2018. There was considerable speculation as to what would happen thereafter. His signing with Manchester City was not announced until 9th August 1918.

Realistically, after his rise to stardom in season 2017-18, and his performance at the World Cup Finals, there was no way he was going to remain in Melbourne, whatever his contract may or may not have said. 

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

Seems like we have 2 discussions going right past each other. The Manchester signing and loan move.

Anyhow, for his development regardless of the injury going to Celtic was a bad move. Once signed by Manchester they should have kept and condition him at their own academy teams or loaned him to better development clubs.

It seems like Manchester loaned him just out to the highest bidder, greedy really and perhaps short term thinking.

What we tend to overlook when talking about Arzani is that he never played a full senior season or full 90 minutes, physically he wasn’t ready.

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Seems like we have 2 discussions going right past each other. The Manchester signing and loan move.

Anyhow, for his development regardless of the injury going to Celtic was a bad move. Once signed by Manchester they should have kept and condition him at their own academy teams or loaned him to better development clubs.

It seems like Manchester loaned him just out to the highest bidder, greedy really and perhaps short term thinking.

What we tend to overlook when talking about Arzani is that he never played a full senior season or full 90 minutes, physically he wasn’t ready.

You're forgetting that Arzani does not have an EU passport, making a direct switch to an English club difficult. However, the Scottish Football Association has more-relaxed work permit conditions, making a loan to Celtic much easier to achieve.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

You're forgetting that Arzani does not have an EU passport, making a direct switch to an English club difficult. However, the Scottish Football Association has more-relaxed work permit conditions, making a loan to Celtic much easier to achieve.

Work permits for Australians in the UK isn’t an issue, we have plenty of Australians in the lower English leagues. The stricter permit ruling only applies to the Premier league. Having said that when I mean development clubs I wasn’t talking about the UK.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Work permits for Australians in the UK isn’t an issue, we have plenty of Australians in the lower English leagues. The stricter permit ruling only applies to the Premier league. Having said that when I mean development clubs I wasn’t talking about the UK.

I'd say the Manchester City to Celtic route is a fairly well trodden one that City are obviously looking to use more - Denayer, Roberts, Guidetti and now Arzani.

Regardless of what you think about that route (or the quality of Scottish football) having a team that's relatively close by that scouts can go see and with no language barriers for players (insert your own Scottish accent joke here) is an appealing loan destination for City's youngsters. 

EDIT - Boyata signed for Celtic, he wasn't on loan!

Edited by Tommykins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

I'd say the Manchester City to Celtic route is a fairly well trodden one that City are obviously looking to use more - Denayer, Roberts, Guidetti and now Arzani.

Regardless of what you think about that route (or the quality of Scottish football) having a team that's relatively close by that scouts can go see and with no language barriers for players (insert your own Scottish accent joke here) is an appealing loan destination for City's youngsters. 

EDIT - Boyata signed for Celtic, he wasn't on loan!

There is lots more players in the city stall playing at better developing clubs, take Guidetti for example he went to several other clubs before landing at Celtic. He was doing at great Feyenoord and they desperately wanted to keep him on loans or purchase but City wanted to much money, even Guidetti wanted to stay in Holland.

I stand by the point that not all players are being being placed on loans for the development purpose but just go to the highest bidder, just like with proper transfers - that’s football.

I’m critical because Arzani needed to play more football and make minutes - Celtic didn’t and couldn’t give him that. NAC Breda would have been a better option, City affiliated club with most youngster making plenty of minutes.

Lets hope he gets fit and starts making some minutes!

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

There is lots more players in the city stall playing at better developing clubs, take Guidetti for example he went to several other clubs before landing at Celtic. He was doing at great Feyenoord and they desperately wanted to keep him on loans or purchase but City wanted to much money, even Guidetti wanted to stay in Holland.

I stand by the point that not all players are being being placed on loans for the development purpose but just go to the highest bidder, just like with proper transfers - that’s football.

I’m critical because Arzani needed to play more football and make minutes - Celtic didn’t and couldn’t give him that. NAC Breda would have been a better option, City affiliated club with most youngster making plenty of minutes.

Lets hope he gets fit and starts making some minutes!

There's no real doubt that in the case of someone like Mooy it was definitely a case of putting  him in the shop window, but I personally think Arzani, had he not got injured, would have featured for Celtic as the season had gone on. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tommykins said:

There's no real doubt that in the case of someone like Mooy it was definitely a case of putting  him in the shop window, but I personally think Arzani, had he not got injured, would have featured for Celtic as the season had gone on. 

totally agree. he is good enough, if he wasnt, why had he just made his debut. when he got injured.  He will go on to do good things with his football if can stay healthy and fit.

Richie de Laet's Royal Antwerp teammates going full retard in their Europe League qualifier. 0-0 after the first leg at AZ Alkmaar.

33' Antwerp striker Mbokani gets a yellow card

35' Mbokani gets his second yellow.

51' Lamkel Ze gets a Yellow Card

73' Lamkel Ze Scores to give Antwerp a 1-0 lead on aggregate.

74' Lamkel Ze given second Yellow Card.

90' AZ equalize to send the tie to extra time

AZ score another 3 in extra time to win 4-1

Richie played the full 90 at right back and was subbed off in the 104th minute

16 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Best coach in terms of trophies Melbourne City has ever had, best football was played under JVS, highest attendances under JVS.

I bet you this is almost verbatim what he said in his job interview.

In reality, while all those things are true - the other two managers in the sample size are Aloisi and Waz. So, yeah.