Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

29 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We never seemed to get the best out of Anthony. I thought that he was going to be a certain starter for us, but he went off to the Middle East and never got back into favour. IMO we wasted his talents.

No one has managed to get the best out of him bar brief flashes. He's consistently inconsistent, one of those guys who had "potential" to be a very good player, but he's coming up on 27 years old and is now just an A-League journeyman.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We never seemed to get the best out of Anthony. I thought that he was going to be a certain starter for us, but he went off to the Middle East and never got back into favour. IMO we wasted his talents.

Played one awesome game to win it for us against Wellington I reckon and that's all.o can remember always looked good in patches then went missing 

31 minutes ago, Heartman said:

This will go down as a monumental error. 

This bloke will score 10 plus and have 10 plus assists next season. 

An error by us? I don't agree. At the end of the season he had to return to Club Brugge in Belgium, where he's contracted until 30th June 2021. He's now been loaned by Brugge to Adelaide. It's not a question of a player being on the open market.

It's funny, just looked back to when he was announced by us.

Riley McGree said:

“Warren Joyce got in contact with me […] I could see that this Club is going places, and I want to be here winning more trophies. Getting young players in and creating a good, stable base as a club is an important thing to do, and I’m excited to be part of it.”

“I came here for the professionalism of the club, the high-quality facilities and coaching staff and players. Now I want to get a good pre-season under my belt, have a good season and develop myself as a player.”

Poor kid.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, playmaker said:

It's funny, just looked back to when he was announced by us.

Riley McGree said:

“Warren Joyce got in contact with me […] I could see that this Club is going places, and I want to be here winning more trophies. Getting young players in and creating a good, stable base as a club is an important thing to do, and I’m excited to be part of it.”

“I came here for the professionalism of the club, the high-quality facilities and coaching staff and players. Now I want to get a good pre-season under my belt, have a good season and develop myself as a player.”

Poor kid.

Read the "interview" with any new signing by any A-League club and it says just about the same thing. I think it's a pre-printed FFA form that they fill in when they sign...a sort of multiple choice thing.

Their real reasons for signing are probably along the lines of "I've signed for a shit club that's somewhere I've never heard of, and I did that only because I can't get a gig anywhere else. So I rang (insert name of manager) and said 'unless you offer me a contract I'l send your wife that photo I have of you with that prostitute in (insert name of Asian city)'."

• Like 1

Just now, Mr MO said:

We don't pay for players I believe, never have.

CFG paid $300,000 to get Caceres from Central Coast and then loaned him back to us, getting around the "no transfers between A-League clubs" rule. Hence the "Caceres Rule" to prevent that happening again.

1 hour ago, haz said:

Reports saying that Adelaide have bought McGree and hence paid a transfer fee (their first ever).

So were Brugge looking for a fee and CFG couldn't be bothered?

There's multiple aspects at play there, many unknown, and to paint it as CFG couldnt be bothered isn't really fair.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bt50 said:

There's multiple aspects at play there, many unknown, and to paint it as CFG couldnt be bothered isn't really fair.

Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know , there are known  knowns; there are things we know we know . We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know  there are some things we do not know .

Edited by Heartman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Baccus dragged at half time of Kaizer Chiefs first league game.

Kearyn Baccus  
Had a bright start to his competitive debut, setting up Manyama for the opening goal inside the first five minutes, but faded away drastically – especially on defence.

Kearyn Baccus was paired with an aging force in Willard Katsande, and the Chiefs midfield looked like a free passage for Highlands Park, who ghosted past unchallenged for much of the encounter.

The former Melbourne City player lacked urgency when tracking back, and could have done more to stem the tide as Highlands Park charged in for their opener.

Overall, he looked to struggle with the pace of the game and, by the end of the encounter, his brilliant contribution to the opening goal looked a distant memory.

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/sport/soccer/psl-south-africa/kaizer-chiefs-new-signings-fared-psl-debut/

Promising start. He'll be released in January.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Don't think anyone mentioned Richie de Laet has returned to Royal Antwerp where he began his professional career, he's only featured in a 5 minute cameo off the bench in their opening 2 games. They play at 2am against Sporting Charleroi.

Lost 2-1. Richie played the full 90.

• 2 weeks later...