Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

1 hour ago, rayv36 said:

The club revealed Eric Bautheac, Eli Babalj, Joe Caletti, Charles Lokoli-Ngoy, Alex Lopez, Tobias Mikkelsen, Stefan Nigro and Ruon Tongyik won't return next season either

The Covert Agent can reveal Wanderers attacker Nick Fitzgerald has been approached by the Mariners and is eager to return to the club where he began his A-League career.

That's a big clean-out by Brisbane.

17 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Yeah it’s huge.

pity he wasn’t enough of a football person to stay here though and learn under the master man manager 

Shame Joe just didn't have that culture to succeed. I'm sure all those Arsenal women have good skin fold results

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

@jw1739 Would you be able to compile the number of ex-city/heart players that have participated in this years final series?

I am curious to know whether their careers have improved elsewhere.

I'd go further and be interested in ex heart or city players that competed in finals since they left

Edited by n i k o

15 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

@jw1739 Would you be able to compile the number of ex-city/heart players that have participated in this years final series?

I am curious to know whether their careers have improved elsewhere.

As if I haven't got better things to do...!

Start with the two semi-finals.
Perth vs. Adelaide:
Adelaide: Marrone, Jakobsen, Goodwin; Perth: Franjic, Kilkenny, Velaphi(bench).

Sydney vs. Victory:
Sydney: Redmayne, Zullo, Wilkinson,Caceres (sub), Retre (sub): Victory: nil.

Elimination Finals:
Victory vs. Wellington:
Victory: Lesiotis (bench): Phoenix: Williams.

Adelaide vs. City:
Adelaide as above for Elimination Final.

Total: 13 players

21 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I'd go further and be interested in ex heart or city players that competed in finals since they left

The impossible takes a little longer...

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Marrone, Jakobsen, Goodwin; Franjic, Kilkenny, Velaphi(bench).

Redmayne, Zullo, Wilkinson,Caceres (sub), Retre (sub): Victory: nil.

Lesiotis (bench): Williams.

Based purely on output as a player and not results;

Marrone - Dont think his output is better than Heart days
Jakobsen - No
Goodwin - Big Yes
Franjic - Slight Yes
Kilkenny - Slight Yes (was good for us when he played obv)
Velaphi - Big No
Redmayne - Big Yes
Zullo - Big Yes (His output for us was bordering on terrible, although he always had potential if he got a clean run at it)
Wilkinson - Similar. Good for both, got put into a better team
Caceres - No
Retre - Yes, but still nothing groundbreaking
Lesiotis - Proba  slight yes given he's getting some game time
Williams - Par imo. Often underrated amongst our fans imo.

So about 50-50, maybe slightly that players have gone on. Tbf it doesnt take into account all the ones that bombed either.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Based purely on output as a player and not results;

Marrone - Dont think his output is better than Heart days
Jakobsen - No
Goodwin - Big Yes
Franjic - Slight Yes
Kilkenny - Slight Yes (was good for us when he played obv)
Velaphi - Big No
Redmayne - Big Yes
Zullo - Big Yes (His output for us was bordering on terrible, although he always had potential if he got a clean run at it)
Wilkinson - Similar. Good for both, got put into a better team
Caceres - No
Retre - Yes, but still nothing groundbreaking
Lesiotis - Proba  slight yes given he's getting some game time
Williams - Par imo. Often underrated amongst our fans imo.

So about 50-50, maybe slightly that players have gone on. Tbf it doesnt take into account all the ones that bombed either.

Thanks @jw1739.

So we have

keepers: Redmayne

Back four: Franjic, Wilkinson, Jakobsen, Zullo

Midfield: Retre, Kilkenny, Caceres, Marrone

Front three:  Williams, Goodwin

Bench: Lesiotis, Velaphi

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

The impossible takes a little longer...

In 17/18 finals series you can add Ben Garuccio, Corey Gameiro and Jason Hoffman.
IN 16/17 Brendan Hamill and Jack Clisby.

It's not so much the players who have moved on and who might or might not have done better since that concerns me, it's the fact that we've qualified for the finals series in each of the past 5 seasons, but have not quite had the necessary to even make a single Grand Final.

18 hours ago, Originalmeme said:

western united setting up a strong squad, good middle ground of talented youth, experience and proven players in the aus.  Hope we have a off-season in terms of transfers that puts them too bed, or we might be in 3rd come November

squad is dog shit, recycled trash, won't be getting near the 6 with what they have now

On 13/05/2019 at 11:27 AM, Harrison said:

I didn't realise but he's a LB, and seems to be in good form this year for Dandenong.

I wonder if we'd throw him a lifeline and give him another year.

Could be useful.

I think he is the kid that ripped Bentleigh Green apart when we played them in a friendly a few seasons ago.

I was very impressed when I saw him.

It's a shame he didn't impress Wazza though.

1 hour ago, mattyh001 said:

In saving two penalties in a 4-2 pen win, Andrew Redmayne is the penalty king for Sydney 

Maybe he was practicing claps for saving pens    .................    

TBF though, for one of the saves it would have been harder not to save it..

• Thanks 1

Redmayne's improvement is down to two things. A good defence in front of him, and good coaching. Our GK coach - like all our assistant coach positions - has changed so often that it's no surprise to me that none of our keepers except Sorensen - and even he couldn't save a penalty to save his life - have been anything more than ordinary.

Tongyik is the kind of guy who could really do with some experience beside him like Jacobsen to help erase the errors from his game, but at the Mariners he'll likely be paired with Rowles and it'll be a giant shitshow. Really amazes me the Mariners haven't targeted a quality centre back since Zwaanswijk retired, or even employed him to teach these kids how to position yourself and read the game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mus-28 said:

Tongyik is the kind of guy who could really do with some experience beside him like Jacobsen to help erase the errors from his game, but at the Mariners he'll likely be paired with Rowles and it'll be a giant shitshow. Really amazes me the Mariners haven't targeted a quality centre back since Zwaanswijk retired, or even employed him to teach these kids how to position yourself and read the game. 

They tried with that cisse bloke they had this season, he had a good CV for the league, but he was a walking Red card and they had to fuck him off 

2 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

RDL finished up with Aston Villa,  contract not to be renewed. Assume he probably won't be back, but would we want him if he's available? Under the cap? What if Bart's not back?

He won't be back. His wage demands would be far too high. He'll end up in the MLS I think.

Does anyone think that could be the end for Ross? He looked extremely unfit and disinterested at the Mariners and the story was the same at Motherwell. He turns 33 in August and if he decides to go elsewhere it'll be at a fraction of what he's earnt the last few years. I just can't see anyone willing to take a punt on him and/or him being motivated to put in a big pre-season for a pittance when he's just received a huge payout from Villa.