Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/genreau-will-be-a-regular-socceroo-predicts-valkanis

Emerging midfielder Denis Genreau is poised to become a regular Socceroo, according to the fellow Aussie helping the youngster carve out his career in Europe.

BY DAVE LEWIS

Former Melbourne City assistant coach Michael Valkanis has been reunited with the on-loan 19-year-old at Eredivisie side PEC Zwolle this season, and he is enarmoured with the progression he’s making under head coach John van’t Schip.

In addition to making his debut off the bench for Australia in October’s 4-0 win in Kuwait, the Paris-born talent has made 11 appearances in all competitions in the Netherlands.

“Denis is a really good player with a heap of potential,” said Valkanis, who is making his own mark as an Australian coach riding shotgun to van’t Schip.

“We both believed at our time together at City in Denis’ ability and we gave him first team opportunities there,” Valkanis said.

“I really thought he could go on with it in Australia, but look what’s happened to him - he’s got his opportunity now in Holland.

“He’s played a significant role in a lot of games and was fantastic particularly against (league leaders) PSV.

“It’s a steep learning curve but he’s relishing it and has the typical Aussie mentality of hard work and professionalism. He has a great future ahead of him.

“I’m sure he’ll get further recognition with the Socceroos and will do well for his country in the years ahead.”

With white hot competition for midfield spots at January’s AFC Asian Cup in the UAE, Genreau might struggle to land a seat on the plane.

Valkanis believes there are plenty more of his ilk being nurtured around Australia.

“I look at the younger players in Holland and I believe we stack up well,” he said.

“Australia has some great young talent who will prosper by going overseas.

“It’s so important that they get the right coaching, especially during those years between 12 and 18.”

Genreau has been carrying an injury and was rested at the weekend as PEC won 2-0 at De Graafschap to edge a point clear of the drop zone.

“He’s a young boy and the pressures of being involved in Socceroos camps and playing at such a good level are there,” Valkanis said.

“He’s having a bit of a rest at the moment. But he was on the bench at the weekend and is always a player that we are looking to.

“He’s high energy on the pitch and with the pressing game that we play he’s instrumental.

“He’ll come back in and is part of the bigger picture here for sure. The demands of the league here compared to the A-League are quite high, and we have to be conscious of that.

“I don’t think he expected to break through so early and make so many appearances as a starter.

“But he’s done that because he’s got the ability and the work ethic. The chance came and he took it.”

Valkanis, who joined van’t Schip in the Netherlands mid-year after parting company with City in November, is relishing his Eredivisie experience.

“There’s 14 new players here and it’s a pretty young team, and it’s a process,” he said.

“You need time and patience but I’m confident in the second half of the season we will be a lot better for it.

“We’re not panicking and we know the boys can perform at a high level, it’s just about getting that consistency now.”

Being back in harness with van’t Schip, who returned to Holland nearly two years ago, feels like a homecoming for Valkanis.

“Working with JVS again is great. We have a good understanding, which was built up at City,” said the 43-year-old.

“When you come to Holland you realise what a big name he is, and maybe we didn’t quite appreciate that in Australia.

“It feels like I’ve been working with him my whole life. I’m enjoying it immensely.

“I’m learning every day against teams that are constantly changing their tactics, whereas in Australia you’re up against teams that tend to play the same way for several seasons.

“Six years ago when I was coaching the Adelaide youth team I never imagined I’d end up here in Holland coaching at a really good level.

“Every game is a big one and every club you go to has a huge history. It’s amazing to be a part of that. It’s an opportunity that doesn’t come to too many Australians.”

Anyone else getting around the clusterfuck at Notts County since Kewell was given the boot? They've slumped to dead last, losing to Macclesfield 2-1 at home.....Macclesfield were last at the start of the day. Kewell got them 13 points in 12 games, they've mustered 6 points in their other 12 matches in the league before and after his appointment, then sacking.

9 hours ago, HughJass said:

He played early on and struggled, 2 coaches in 2 years haven't rated him

7 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Can't help feeling that's a shame. Seemed to have talent, but never quite realised. Frustrating, but I hope he can progress somewhere, even if he has to go abroad or drop into NPL. 

It is down to his poor attitude towards playing/training.