Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

3 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

gameiro knocked up that slappa Lucy zelic :facepalm: 

Wow, fuck me that was fast.

I swear I only started seeing Instagram stories of them together about 3 months ago. Pretty sure I posted in this thread about it too.

Kid is going to have a hilarious accent.

Harry Kewell sacked by Notts County after only 14 games. 3 Wins, 4 Draws and 5 Losses in the League isn't too bad considering he came in with them on 1 point from 5 games. Add in the game they were leading MK Dons 1-0 when they had a man sent off on 58 minutes, that they went on to lose 2-1 and the red card was rescinded. Seems extremely harsh considering he inherited a squad that was struggling.

2 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Harry Kewell sacked by Notts County after only 14 games. 3 Wins, 4 Draws and 5 Losses in the League isn't too bad considering he came in with them on 1 point from 5 games. Add in the game they were leading MK Dons 1-0 when they had a man sent off on 58 minutes, that they went on to lose 2-1 and the red card was rescinded. Seems extremely harsh considering he inherited a squad that was struggling.

It certainly makes his decision to jump ship from his relatively comfortable tenure at Crawley Town look like a terrible decision.

Crawley are currently 12th in League Two - Notts County are currently 22nd. When he took on the Notts job I'm pretty confident they were stone motherless last, so he actually had them sitting out of the relegation zone when he was sacked.

1 hour ago, Blackout said:

It certainly makes his decision to jump ship from his relatively comfortable tenure at Crawley Town look like a terrible decision.

Crawley are currently 12th in League Two - Notts County are currently 22nd. When he took on the Notts job I'm pretty confident they were stone motherless last, so he actually had them sitting out of the relegation zone when he was sacked.

On the outside it seems extremely unfair and premature, but there is a school of thought that after 10 to 15 games thats enough of sample to gauge whether a new coach will have a positive effect on the playing group. 3 wins from 14 games is pretty much relegation territory so you can see the logic. Problem though this club has a history of axing coaches in recent years and ultimately will deserve to go down.

For Kewell this is just part of the education process and he is going to be sacked heaps more times in the years to come.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jovan said:

On the outside it seems extremely unfair and premature, but there is a school of thought that after 10 to 15 games thats enough of sample to gauge whether a new coach will have a positive effect on the playing group. 3 wins from 14 games is pretty much relegation territory so you can see the logic. Problem though this club has a history of axing coaches in recent years and ultimately will deserve to go down.

For Kewell this is just part of the education process and he is going to be sacked heaps more times in the years to come.

Relegation from League 2 means non-league football in the National League. No-one wants to go there, especially a club with a long, long history such as Notts County, founded in 1862 and one of the oldest football clubs in the world. Bloody hard to get back up. See also Leyton Orient.

On 14/11/2018 at 10:23 AM, jw1739 said:

Relegation from League 2 means non-league football in the National League. No-one wants to go there, especially a club with a long, long history such as Notts County, founded in 1862 and one of the oldest football clubs in the world. Bloody hard to get back up. See also Leyton Orient.

From what I saw in Facebook comment threads, notts county have gone through around 23 managers in the last 20 years 

On 11/18/2018 at 6:13 AM, mus-28 said:

Notts County slip into the relegation zone, losing 3-0 at home to Cheltenham who were below them on the table at the start of the day. Think they're in for a tough time until the transfer window opens, pretty clear the squad is garbage.

And that's the same squad that Kewel inherited when he took over so i pity whoever takes the reins now. I expect to see another sacking after ten or so losses draws etc.

The people that need sacking are the management board of that Club.

2 hours ago, johnno cpfc said:

And that's the same squad that Kewel inherited when he took over so i pity whoever takes the reins now. I expect to see another sacking after ten or so losses draws etc.

The people that need sacking are the management board of that Club.

It's not like County are a small club. On support at least they should be a League 1 club. They have underperformed for years. It's not any individual manager, it's the culture of the club. 

22 hours ago, fensaddler said:

It's not like County are a small club. On support at least they should be a League 1 club. They have underperformed for years. It's not any individual manager, it's the culture of the club. 

I agree but when push comes to shove it all depends on the players WANTING to win which will not happen with as you said the poor culture within the club.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/meet-the-aussie-playing-under-sven-goran-eriksson

Iain Ramsay is confident the Philippines can spring a few surprises in the 2019 AFC Asian Cup under new coach Sven-Goran Eriksson.

BY JOHN DAVIDSON

The former England, Lazio, Manchester City, Roma and Benfica manager took the reins of the Philippines last month.

Under Eriksson, the Azkals are undefeated in the ASEAN Football Federation’s 2018 Suzuki Cup with two victories and two draws. 

And Sydneysider Ramsay, who has earned 27 caps for the Philippines since his debut in 2015, believes the famous Swede can help them make an impact in the United Arab Emirates in January. 

The Philippines, ranked 116th in the world, have been placed in Group C and will face Korea Republic, China and Kyrgyzstan in their first-ever Asian Cup. 

“It’s one of the biggest competitions in Asia so its every exciting to be involved in it,” Ramsay told The World Game. 

“It wasn’t easy to qualify but we managed to get there and we’re trying to prepare as much as we can. People like Sven coming in shows how serious we are. 

“We’re trying to improve and get confidence into the team ahead of such a big competition. Who knows? In football anything can happen.

“With big teams sometimes pressure’s a funny thing - it can get to them. Anything can happen I guess. We’re going into the tournament with that mentality. I can’t wait.” 

Eriksson was hired last month after Terry Butcher quit the post in August. The 70-year-old has won titles and cups in Italy, Portugal and Sweden, and took out the UEFA Cup with IFK Goteborg in 1982. 

Ramsay, who had spells in the A-League with Sydney FC, Adelaide United and Melbourne City, admits the ex-England boss’ appointment came as somewhat of a shock.

“It came as a bit of a surprise, that’s for sure, because he’s such a big name in the football world,” the 30-year-old said. 

“It’s a statement I guess with where the national team want to go. They want to try and get as much quality as possible to better us in the near future. 

“Someone with his coaching calibre will help us in the Asian Cup. Obviously Sven’s got a lot of experience. 

“He hasn’t worked with us for a long time, he’s obviously new to the team, but he’s trying to implement his style into the squad. We’re trying to take everything on board as quick as we can. 

“We’ve only had four games under him, so we need a few more yet to get things going. But so far the response from the squad has been good. 

“Hopefully we continue to improve and hopefully the Suzuki Cup will keep us in good stead for the Asian Cup. We’ve got him and Scott Cooper as well. Scott’s been with us for the last couple of camps. 

“Prior to that Terry Butcher was given the job. I’m not too sure what happened there but he left very quickly for personal reasons or whatnot. Not long after Sven came in, so not a bad replacement.”

The Philippines are in the middle of their Suzuki Cup campaign and have qualified for the semi-finals, after finishing second in their group behind Thailand. The Azkals will meet Vietnam on Sunday with a place in the final up for grabs.

“If we get to the final it will take us to December 15,” Ramsay said. 

“Then a few weeks break and we go to the Asian Cup. It’s going alright. It’s a short turnaround between games, there’s a lot of flights with this Suzuki Cup.”

Ramsay has established himself as a regular with the country of his mother’s birth.

He has played in Iran, the Philippines and Malaysia since he left the A-League three years ago, and next year will link up with Thai League 1 club Sukhothai on a one-year contract. 

It has been a well-travelled career for the midfielder, which included a stint in Scotland with Gretna as a teenager, and a spell in the NSW NPL with Sydney Olympic.

“It’s been good so far,” Ramsay said. 

“It doesn’t last forever. You’ve got to make the most of it and just enjoy the experience. 

“I joined the Philippines in 2015 when I left the A-League to go to Iran. I haven’t looked back since. 

“It’s been enjoyable and qualifying for a competition like the Asian Cup makes it that bit sweeter. Hopefully we do well in it.”