Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

10 minutes ago, Dylan said:

He is killing it. Hopefully this is a breakout season for him. 

I'm worried we won't see him again, but hey, who cares about what I want.

Can't wait till most of the national team are full of city products

• Like 2

5 hours ago, moops said:

Former youth player Stamboulidis signs for a Greek club. 

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/it-s-aris-for-haris-as-aussie-rookie-lands-top-tier-gig-in-greece

Reports in that a Melbourne construction worker was seen at the signing, all very mysterious. 

Ironically, Nico Colazo joined the same club on 16th July, on loan from Boca.

• Like 1

FFA Cup tonight. Avondale v Marconi on Fox Sports. Ross Archibald starting and Stefan Zinni on the bench for Avondale. Fox had been promoting Germano as playing as he's now an Australian citizen, but guessing he's injured still as he isn't in the squad.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

FFA Cup tonight. Avondale v Marconi on Fox Sports. Ross Archibald starting and Stefan Zinni on the bench for Avondale. Fox had been promoting Germano as playing as he's now an Australian citizen, but guessing he's injured still as he isn't in the squad.

No surprise

Also I miss Zinni, thought he was decent

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Denis Genreau two more for PEC Zwolle in a 3-1 pre-season win over Levante.

Even if he never plays for us again, his transfer fee will count as another tick on the positive side of the ledger for us. But a shame he didn't break through with us last season. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Even if he never plays for us again, his transfer fee will count as another tick on the positive side of the ledger for us. But a shame he didn't break through with us last season. 

He's contracted with us until 31st May 2020 so we could see a transfer fee in due course if he can keep this up. I wonder whether we obtained a loan fee for him for this current season?

It's a hell of a juggling act that we have - a lot of potentially very good players coming through but the numbers and salary caps always there to limit how many we can retain long enough to assess their real worth. It's a lot easier to be an onlooker and criticise the decisions made!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

He's contracted with us until 31st May 2020 so we could see a transfer fee in due course if he can keep this up. I wonder whether we obtained a loan fee for him for this current season?

It's a hell of a juggling act that we have - a lot of potentially very good players coming through but the numbers and salary caps always there to limit how many we can retain long enough to assess their real worth. It's a lot easier to be an onlooker and criticise the decisions made!

I'm sure we'll be getting some financial compensation. And you're right, the cap, the lack of a competitive reserve league, and difficulties loaning out to other Australian clubs all complicate this. In a UK context, for example, a player like Genreau would likely gain valuable first team experience by being loaned out to clubs in lower leagues, and would probably have several such loan periods through his early career, until he either broke through at his parent club, or was offered a deal at another club based on his loan performances. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I was really disappointed in Wazza that he wouldn’t play him

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Yes.

This thread is beginning to depress me. Heart/City ex-players doing well elsewhere.

Take it easy. We've had over 100 heart/city players I'd say less than 25 have gone to better teams/leagues. 

Now whether you take that as good thing or a bad thing is another discussion entirely. 

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Take it easy. We've had over 100 heart/city players I'd say less than 25 have gone to better teams/leagues. 

Now whether you take that as good thing or a bad thing is another discussion entirely. 

I only care if they well agaisnt us or in the league in general. Gooch could become as good as Ronaldo, but as long as he isnt scoring agaisnt us im happy.

Aussie rookie Genreau given licence to thrill

Emerging playmaker Denis Genreau was considered surplus to requirements at Melbourne City but he is odds on to kick-off the new Eredivisie season as a starter for PEC Zwolle.

Updated
By Dave Lewis

The French-born 19-year-old has banged in five pre-season goals since being reunited with his former City mentor John van’t Schip in the Netherlands.

And the Dutch coach believes he has the ingredients to make a significant impression in the coming season, which begins at home to Heerenveen on Sunday week (AEST).

“Denis has adapted very well to our club and the way we want to play,” said van’t Schip who has secured the youngster on a season-long loan.

“From the start he’s being playing in the line-up and he’s being playing well.

“It’s still early days but we’re happy with his performance is and the steps that he is making.

“It’s not just the goals ... he’s understanding his role as a number 10 for us and he has some good qualities and we happy he’s making those improvements.

“But the league has to start and he still has a long way to go.”

With regular playmaker, Dane Younes Namli, working his way back to fitness after a long-term injury, the opportunity is there for Genreau to make his mark.

And continued on that quest with a double as PEC overcame Spanish side Levante 3-1 at the weekend.

“There’s a good chance for him to start (in the first league game) because the player who normally holds that role is still not game fit,” emphasised van’t Schip.

“We now have good competition in that position and for Namli to get back into the team he has to match what Denis has been doing.

“So there’s a big chance Denis will play a lot of minutes - maybe not full games.

“At this moment he just has to keep performing well and he should get match time in the Eredivisie.

“We’re happy to have him here and to help him develop. The other players have embraced him and it’s a win-win at the moment.”

Van’t Schip hadn’t seen Genreau for 12 months prior to his arrival and wasn’t sure how he’d react, especially after only being in the fringes at City last season.

“You’re always about whether he’ll reach the level because a lot can happen in a year and you wonder if maybe he’s lost a bit of confidence,” he said.

“But from the start he showed he’s able to reach the level we expect and we’re more than happy at the moment.”

Van’t Schip would not be drawn on whether he would seek to make the switch permanent, insisting such a discussion was premature.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/aussie-rookie-genreau-given-licence-to-thrill

• Like 1