Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

A week ago Omar Eddahri was reportedly joining a Serie B side. However, a day or so later Omar told Swedish media that "I'm not in Italy", and that while yes he has been in contact with this club "I've had contact with many clubs, many who offered different things, but they're just one in the crowd". (source)

so it looks like Omar is still a free agent and is talking with multiple clubs.

I'm weary that because we signed Bozanic, we have very limited cap space left, and can't sign a Visa player, or at least can't sign a Visa player like Omar Eddahri. I'm pretty sure that CFG can do better than Marcel Meeuwis. CFG did sign Harry Novillo in March in 2015 (as an injury replacement player).

Anyway, there is a world of footballers out there, and this season especially the club has been very open to clearing up more space on playing list, if deemed necessary. I believe this club could make one final improvement on the squad this season, if the club fully decides to do so.

Edited by Murfy1

Stoke City favourite sets off on month-long bike ride across Australia with $150k charity mission

1 MAR 2018

Jack Butland and Asmir Begovic send off Thomas Sorensen as he begins marathon fundraiser for seriously ill children

Thomas Sorensen has finished months of training to set off on a 3,500km bike ride across Australia with a plan to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for children most in need.

The Stoke City favourite, whose star performances in goal helped keep the Potters in the Premier League in the seasons following promotion, jumped on two wheels after officially hanging up his gloves last summer.

He had finished his playing career at Melbourne City and has stayed Down Under to support the charity Starlight Australia.

The 41-year-old planned this RideForKids mission with the aim of collecting $150,000 that could either grant 23 life-changing wishes for a seriously ill child or be invested in brightening the hospital experience for 3,800 children on the Starlight programme.

He said: “When I was growing up I had one dream, to be a professional footballer. With the support of many people I was incredibly fortunate to be able to do it – but not every child gets to live their dream.

“So I’m undertaking a 3,500km bike ride from one side of Australia to the other to raise money for an inspirational charity, the Starlight Foundation Australia, which has one simple mission: to brighten the lives of seriously ill children and their families.”

Sorensen set off yesterday from the Barosssa Valley, South Australia, with a 67km – and 809m climb – through the wine region towards Hahndorf.

He will wind his way through from Adelaide to Melbourne before a second stage around Tasmania and final stage heading north to Sydney, finishing at Sydney Opera House on April 1. That's about 2,200 miles all in all.

The goalkeepers’ union has been out to cheer him on, including his old pals from Stoke.

Jack Butland posted on Twitter: “Good luck to a good friend of mine and the team on their 3,500km Australian bike ride in aide of the Starlight Foundation. Please support and donate if you can.”

Asmir Begovic wrote: “Wishing my good friend Thomas Sorensen aall the best with his latest challenge.”

Sorensen is also hosting an auction for the cause, with donations of signed shirts from Kevin de Bruyne, Raheem Sterling, Vincent Kompany and Sergio Aguero.

He has been on a big charity bike ride before, clocking up 4,000 miles cycling across the United States in aid of the University Hospitals of North Midlands charity and underprivileged children in Denmark.

For more information or to make a donation, visit rideforkids.com

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/thomas-sorensen-stoke-city-rideforkids-1281056?utm_source=google_news&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=google_news&utm_content=sitemap

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Not sure about that. He was going nowhere here.

A bloke who needed a change and it worked for him.

Absolutely. It also dovetails with my thinking that some players are better off in finding a coach/club that suits them rather than the perceived advantage. Right now I think that Kamau and Arzani would be better off working under Gombau rather than Wazza.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Probably a "first" tonight as two Melbourne City "old boys" come face to face: Fernando Brandan and Nico Colazo as Temperley are at home to Gimnasia La Plata in the Argentina Primera.

The match finished 1-1. Both our "old boys" played the full match. Brandan got himself a yellow in the 88th.

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The match finished 1-1. Both our "old boys" played the full match. Brandan got himself a yellow in the 88th.

A good question is, would you take a match fit Colazo over a match fit Budzinski.

At this point of the season so far, I would say yes

12 hours ago, haz said:

A good question is, would you take a match fit Colazo over a match fit Budzinski.

At this point of the season so far, I would say yes

No question I would. But I was a big fan of Nico, unlike quite a few on here.

8 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

How is possible that Brandan played the whole match when we declared him done and dusted. 

Match fit Colazo as LB versus Bud who is not LB ? That's a really tough question. 

My conclusion is that since he played as soon as he returned to Argentina he was perfectly fit to play but was hounded out of the club as per Kilkenny.

Colazo played in 23 matches for us. Scored 4 goals and provided 4 assists. Budzinski has played in 16, scored 5 and provided 2 assists. I prefer Colazo on the grounds that he is a left-footer, and that provides more options for the team, but as you say it is a hard choice between them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

My conclusion is that since he played as soon as he returned to Argentina he was perfectly fit to play but was hounded out of the club as per Kilkenny.

Colazo played in 23 matches for us. Scored 4 goals and provided 4 assists. Budzinski has played in 16, scored 5 and provided 2 assists. I prefer Colazo on the grounds that he is a left-footer, and that provides more options for the team, but as you say it is a hard choice between them.

23 matches? Wow I thought it was heaps less. I think a better stat would be total minutes.

I prefer Colazo because he is more creative then Budzik. But it all depends on the team structure anyway

EDIT: (From Transfermarkt)

COLAZO

1561 mins: 4 goals, 4 assists, 195 mins per contribution

BUDZINSKI

836 mins: 5 goals, 1 assist, 139 mins per contribution

So by stats, Budzik has been a better influence on the team. And if you include a 2nd assist (only listed as one on Transfermarkt) then his stats become better.

Edited by haz

Iain Ramsay, One-on-one: Felda's Filipino hotshot setting the MPL alight as Asian Cup history beckons

3 March 2018

Philippines international Iain Ramsay revived his career with Ceres Negros in 2017 before rejecting an offer from Thailand to sign with Felda United. He shares with FourFourTwo why the Fighters were appealing and his unfinished business with the Azkals...

Ramsay, who is of Scottish and Filipino descent,  was at a crossroads just over a year ago having seen his move from the A-League to Iranian club Tractor Sazi not go the way he had hoped.

A move to Ceres – his first Filipino club despite already representing the nation – put the winger’s career back on track as the Busmen won the inaugural Philippines Football League (PFL) and made the region take note of them in the AFC Cup.

The former Adelaide United and Melbourne City player was a key figure as Ceres defeated perennial Malaysia Super League (MSL) winners Johor Darul Ta’zim (JDT) en route to becoming AFC Cup ASEAN Zonal champions. They were then knocked out by Istiklol in the Inter-zone semi-final.

Ramsay, who saw the club as a stop-gap measure, became a fan favourite and gave them a parting gift they’ll never forget, scoring a hattrick against Global Cebu to seal the PFL title.

“I didn’t intend to stay at Ceres for a long time. I’ve always wanted to push myself,” Ramsay told FourFourTwo.

“I mean no disrespect to Ceres. I loved my time there and worked well with the coach, Risto Vidakovic, who I think has abilities to be a very good coach at a high level.

“But with the leagues in Thailand and Malaysia opening up a slot for ASEAN players, I wanted to make a jump.

“There was one Thai club I thought I was heading to, but Felda came in and I knew about them after we met in the AFC Cup. I knew about the coach and they’ve kept many players from last season, which is good to see. It shows they believe in building a team.

“I took it seriously when they came in for me, It wasn’t just about the football … I have a family and Malaysia is a lovely country to live in.”

Ramsay admits it was disappointing to find out that Felda were demoted to the Malaysia Premier League (MPL) for matters off the pitch, after they failed to obtain a club licence, a mandatory requirement starting in 2018.

The Fighters were unhappy with the demotion but have since come to terms with it, making it a mission to win the second tier competition, complete their license and make a big return to the MSL.

If recent form is anything to go by, Felda look set to waltz their way to the MPL title. B. Satiananthan’s men have a 100 per cent record in the opening four matches, scoring 15 goals in the process.

“It’s been enjoyable so far. Everyone has been very welcoming and it really helps that the team is winning,” said the 30-year-old midfielder.

“We’ve got a lot of depth in our squad. It’s early days but the good start gives us confidence. I hope this momentum can take us through the league and also go a long way in the FA Cup and Malaysia Cup. We want to make improvements and to show that we mean business too.”

Led by influential skipper Shukor Adan, the Fighters have a talented squad with the likes of Wan Zack Haikal Wan Noor, Hadin Azman, Thiago Fernandes, GIlberto Fortunato and Christie Jayaseelan in their ranks.

In Satiananthan, they have a former Malaysia coach and one of the most experienced mentors around.

Ramsay admits Satiananthan demands a lot of discipline from the players, but he insisted he has nothing but admiration for his gaffer.

“Satiananthan has a lot of experience and has won things in Malaysia in the past. I can see from our training sessions that he has good knowledge of the game and you can’t really buy that,” said Ramsay.

“He has a touch of European style too in terms of his knowledge and the way he takes care of the players. He has the winning mentality that rubs off on the players, who are very responsive to him.”

While Ramsay has admired football in Malaysia during his short time in the country, he holds out hope that the sport also takes flight in the Philippines.

Football has often taken a backseat to basketball, boxing and volleyball in a nation surrounded by the sea, but progress has been made in recent years.

The Azkals are the second highest ranked Southeast Asian side in the FIFA World Rankings at No.123, only behind Vietnam (No.118) and ahead of Thailand (No.129), Myanmar (No.142), Indonesia (No.160), Cambodia (No.172), Singapore (No.173) and Malaysia (No.174).

Yet the rankings and a run to the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup final – a tournament for emerging nations – is all the Azkals have to parade in terms of success.

The Philippines have never reached an AFF Suzuki Cup or SEA Games final. In fact they have only qualified out of the group stage on four occasions (1991, 2010, 2012 and 2014).

The Azkals have never played at the Olympics or Asian Cup, but Ramsay could be part of an Azkals side that etches its name into the history books when it hosts Tajikistan in the final Asian Cup qualifying match on March 27.

The Philippines currently top their qualifying group and only need a draw to progress. They could also progress with a defeat but that will only be in the unlikely case Nepal manage to hold Yemen in the other group match.

“Football in Philippines is growing but we are still behind in terms of fanbase and such. As a national team player, I hope I can play a massive part in raising the interest levels of football,” said Ramsay.

“Basketball has always been number one but if we can qualify for the Asian Cup, I think interest in football will pick up.

“It’s been a good experience so far and we are one game away from making history. Any country would be proud to be part of the competition. I’m determined along with my teammates … we want to be on a plane to United Arab Emirates in January.”

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/my/features/iain-ramsay-one-one-feldas-filipino-hotshot-setting-mpl-alight-asian-cup-history-beckons

On 3/5/2018 at 11:19 AM, jw1739 said:

IMO the most reasonable and likely scenario is that he was moved on to make way for Ross to stay for the season. That fell through, and their was egg on face all round.

50 minutes ago, bt50 said:

IMO the most reasonable and likely scenario is that he was moved on to make way for Ross to stay for the season. That fell through, and their was egg on face all round.

If that was the case it just goes to show how fucking incompetent our management can be at times.

38 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

If that was the case it just goes to show how fucking incompetent our management can be at times.

Just to clarify, which part?

The fuck up was not having an adequate plan B if Ross didnt come off in my book. Given all the circumstances, the rest seems reasonable to me.

5 hours ago, bt50 said:

Just to clarify, which part?

The fuck up was not having an adequate plan B if Ross didnt come off in my book. Given all the circumstances, the rest seems reasonable to me.

Pretty obviously, not having a Plan B. Wasn't that one of your (rare) complaints earlier - that you'd be annoyed (or something similar) if we didn't have a visa replacement for Brandan?

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Pretty obviously, not having a Plan B. Wasn't that one of your (rare) complaints earlier - that you'd be annoyed (or something similar) if we didn't have a visa replacement for Brandan?

Yep which ive addressed in another thread. 
Was just asking because a lot of people have a gripe with Brandan being released, which personally i dont when it was to enable Ross to stay.

5 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Yep which ive addressed in another thread. 
Was just asking because a lot of people have a gripe with Brandan being released, which personally i dont when it was to enable Ross to stay.

I still don't know why Ross could not have been a "Guest Player." Presumably we tried that, but FFA wouldn't agree. Or Aston Villa's demands were so outrageous that we just weren't prepared to cough up the money.

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I still don't know why Ross could not have been a "Guest Player." Presumably we tried that, but FFA wouldn't agree. Or Aston Villa's demands were so outrageous that we just weren't prepared to cough up the money.

I personally dont think he meets the quota for a guest player. He isnt a household name that Joe Bloggs would know, and hence doesnt really bring neutrals in to watch. Same for Diamante.

Essein or Villa on the other hand were names that all football followers would know.

44 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

This was indeed the case.

Apparently we only have to declare a loan player's full wages if they're coming to us from a CFG club. So in the Ross case we cleared room under the cap for a partial wage payment, the Villa chairman stepped in late in the deal and demanded we payed the full wage. We couldn't. 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

rawrcatty.gif

Edited by Embee

1 hour ago, Embee said:

This was indeed the case.

Apparently we only have to declare a loan player's full wages if they're coming to us from a CFG club. So in the Ross case we cleared room under the cap for a partial wage payment, the Villa chairman stepped in late in the deal and demanded we payed the full wage. We couldn't. 

rawrcatty.gif

In that case, what a total cocktwanger. So now he gets nothing instead of something. Like a kid who throws a tantrum about not getting enough sweeties and ends up getting none at all. And I thought I couldn't despise Villa any more than I already do... 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chris p said:

Was just thinking about Curtis good. Just scored against Sunderland u23s 

The blokes basically been playing youth football for the last 6 years 

Curt will probably leave Newcastle soon. Too far down the order and I know he is looking elsewhere.

His contract expires at the end of this season. Hopefully he can stay in the PL now that he is fully fit.

The question is what club will take him? Maybe a promoted club could roll the dice on him. 

11 hours ago, Harrison said:

Curt will probably leave Newcastle soon. Too far down the order and I know he is looking elsewhere.

His contract expires at the end of this season. Hopefully he can stay in the PL now that he is fully fit.

The question is what club will take him? Maybe a promoted club could roll the dice on him. 

If you mean promoted to the championship then yes, maybe a club will. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Covert Agent can also reveal former Melbourne City coach Michael Valkanis requested a private meeting with Central Coast Mariners owner Mike Charlesworth - three days before Paul Okon left the club.It cannot be confirmed if the meeting went ahead or not but both parties were in the UK recently.

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/the-covert-agent-john-aloisi-sydney-fc-brisbane-roar-coach/df26349dgjro18201xsm7wmzh

Always accurate