Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

41 minutes ago, neio said:

Corey gamiero is starting for the first time in about 2 years tonight for roar 

Good on him. Hopefully he continues to build fitness and strength and won't suffer another ACL injury. If he scores against us I'll stand up and clap

Edited by haz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, haz said:

Good on him. Hopefully he continues to build fitness and strength and won't suffer another ACL injury. If he scores against us I'll stand up and clap

Not Robinson Crusoe.

Have to have the heart of a lion to keep going with all his setbacks. Shows the quality of the man.

• Like 2

Socceroos fullback Aziz Behich could join Turkish giants Galatasaray in the January transfer window

DAVID DAVUTOVIC

January 16, 2018 6:30pm

SOCCEROOS fullback Aziz Behich could join Turkish giants Galatasaray in the January transfer window.

Galatasaray are understood to have tabled a $4.62 million (EURO 3 million) offer for the in-form Behich, but Turkish media is reporting that his current club Bursaspor are holding out for $6.16 million (EURO 4 million).

Behich, 27, has had a breakthrough season for club and country, scoring five goals in 15 appearances for Bursa, while he flourished in the FIFA World Cup playoffs with standout performances against Syria and Honduras in place of injured Brad Smith.

The former Melbourne City and Melbourne Victory player has amassed 124 games for Bursaspor in all competitions since joining in 2012.

Trabzonspor are also making a late play for Behich.

Galatasaray would be a dream move for Behich, who is of Turkish descent.

The giants are coached by former Turkey national team coach Fatih Terim and trail local rivals Istanbul Basaksehir by one point.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/socceroos-fullback-aziz-behich-could-join-turkish-giants-galatasaray-in-the-january-transfer-window/news-story/7b6569c956c7cbf40942cdf18dda5d45

• Like 2

Read that this morning online and it instantly put a smile on my face.

Quality bloke and quality footballer.Not to mention his clear hatred for the visitors. Actually the only bloke i can think of thats played for us that took the derbies personally.

I remember him doing an interview for a derby with the wife beater and god you could tell he couldn't stand the cunt. 

On 12/5/2017 at 3:24 PM, HeartFc said:

I was at some bar in San Miguel De Tucuman having an overpriced beer/sandwich and a Boca game was on the TV in the backround. Within about 10 minutes of watching Boca copped a goal against some team in blue and the guy who scored looked familiar... Of course it was Colazo. Continued to watch the game and he was playing like a completely different player. Confident as fuck, screaming his head off and going in hard for the ball... which he never did once at city. Got me thinking about our imports over the years and I figured out a little pattern. 

When you move to another country its obviously tough adjusting to the language/culture/football style however that can depend on your personality. The quiet subdued type guys like Colazo/Tadic/Koren/Budzinski seem to suffer a lot and seemly play different to how they would back home. However others have shown that their balls out attitude tends to overcome any anxiety or confidence issues that comes with a international transfer... Eg. Engelaar/Novillo/Bruno and now Bort. 

Conclusion being, if you're gonna sign a foreigner make sure his a bit of a cunt. Seriously. We should look into not only football ability but a blokes confidence in his day to day life. Psychologist and body language expert would be able to sort that out. 

This might just about be the smartest thing you've ever posted. Only took me two months to find it

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

This might just about be the smartest thing you've ever posted. Only took me two months to find it

This is my favourite marquee/VISA theory. Ive repeated @HeartFc's post a few times since he first mentioned it.

Therefore our next marquee needs to be some Eastern European who grew up working in a Gulag and drinking Bear milk for breakfast.

• Like 4

Fernando Brandan started a game yesterday for Temperley vs Racing. They won 1:0 and Brandan has been credited with the assist and he played 70mins.

Not bad for someone that couldn't even make a matchday squad for us.

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, neio said:

Well I guess that rules out the he wasn't going to be ready to play this season theory 

That wasnt really the theory though was it? To my understanding he hadnt recovered to his pre-injury levels and wasnt going to be allowed to play for us until he met those standards. On face value, that was taking too long for Joyce's liking and he was released to make room for another signing in January.
Now we can all argue over whether we think thats the right course of action or not, but its not the same as not being ready to play. 

There's also the (reasonable) premise that he was released in order to make room for Ross so they could play Bruno and Ross together, although thats based purely on speculation.

Edited by bt50

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

That wasnt really the theory though was it? To my understanding he hadnt recovered to his pre-injury levels and wasnt going to be allowed to play for us until he met those standards. On face value, that was taking too long for Joyce's liking and he was released to make room for another signing in January.
Now we can all argue over whether we think thats the right course of action or not, but its not the same as not being ready to play. 

There's also the (reasonable) premise that he was released in order to make room for Ross so they could play Bruno and Ross together, although thats based purely on speculation.

Well that pre injury injury standard stuff is just more spin IMO. Same as Kilkenny.

I am on board the second premise. But for me they released the wrong bloke.

Budzinski should have made way for McCormack to stay and not Fernando  (in theory), obviously its easier to return a loan player than a contracted Marquee but for me having McCormack Bruno and Brandan as the #10 would have been a better option. 

All hypothetical and at this point in time just an afterthought but still I think we have erred. 

• Like 2

23 Nov: "Fernando Brandan is in the final stages of his journey towards match fitness after fully recovering from his ACL injury." (Team news for Round 8 City vs. Perth)

18 Dec: Contract mutually terminated.

16 Jan: Plays for CA Temperley

And I suppose we're still waiting for the "like-for-like" signing....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

23 Nov: "Fernando Brandan is in the final stages of his journey towards match fitness after fully recovering from his ACL injury." (Team news for Round 8 City vs. Perth)

18 Dec: Contract mutually terminated.

16 Jan: Plays for CA Temperley

And I suppose we're still waiting for the "like-for-like" signing....

That signing is Vidosic basically. And I'm not bagging Dario I think he could be a great player for us, but IMO Fernando already was. 

I guess it's more of a jibe at Joyce for not seeing the game and players the same as me.

Edited by Jovan

5 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Well that pre injury injury standard stuff is just more spin IMO. Same as Kilkenny.

I am on board the second premise. But for me they released the wrong bloke.

Budzinski should have made way for McCormack to stay and not Fernando  (in theory), obviously its easier to return a loan player than a contracted Marquee but for me having McCormack Bruno and Brandan as the #10 would have been a better option. 

All hypothetical and at this point in time just an afterthought but still I think we have erred. 

Hmm perhaps, i've seen enough from Joyce's selection that it might not be the case though. He appears to really back his philosophy as far as workrate and application goes.
I probably agree re Bud and Brandan, but there's probably a substantial difference in cost (as a guestimate if Brandan was on 250k, 6 month release is 125k (if at all given he was on loan), whilst Bud is on a 2 yr deal which is rumoured to be worth a total of around 600k, so would cost approx 450k) as well the point that for wingers we now have Fitzy, Bruce, Vidosic, Arzani and Atkinson that can all play there. Mashing that with the Bruce and Ross train of thought, i dont think Brandan as a wingback is a particularly sound idea, nor is he a proper 10 imo.

Not saying i necessarily think this way is the go, but i can follow that logic if that makes sense.

7 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Hmm perhaps, i've seen enough from Joyce's selection that it might not be the case though. He appears to really back his philosophy as far as workrate and application goes.
I probably agree re Bud and Brandan, but there's probably a substantial difference in cost (as a guestimate if Brandan was on 250k, 6 month release is 125k (if at all given he was on loan), whilst Bud is on a 2 yr deal which is rumoured to be worth a total of around 600k, so would cost approx 450k) as well the point that for wingers we now have Fitzy, Bruce, Vidosic, Arzani and Atkinson that can all play there. Mashing that with the Bruce and Ross train of thought, i dont think Brandan as a wingback is a particularly sound idea, nor is he a proper 10 imo.

Not saying i necessarily think this way is the go, but i can follow that logic if that makes sense.

Definitely in the terms of contracts and $ it makes complete sense. But I'm looking purely on the pitch. 

And for me Brandan playing as a #10 is better than Budzinski Mauk or Vidosic.

He definitely can't play as a wingback and is a liability in our defensive third but in this current 352 we have been playing lately,  playing centrally as the AM would really suit. But I guess all this is just fluff as boat has sailed and we have what we have.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Definitely in the terms of contracts and $ it makes complete sense. But I'm looking purely on the pitch. 

And for me Brandan playing as a #10 is better than Budzinski Mauk or Vidosic.

He definitely can't play as a wingback and is a liability in our defensive third but in this current 352 we have been playing lately,  playing centrally as the AM would really suit. But I guess all this is just fluff as boat has sailed and we have what we have.

Not trying to be antagonistic, but based on what evidence? I only recall him playing there once for us, in a 5-10 minute FFA Cup game appearance on debut. He almost soley played LW for us, with maybe the game against Sydney away that he scored that belter as his only RW game. Tbf he played very centrally for  a winger in that game, but he was a winger nonetheless.

52 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I doubt that there was any payout to Brandan or to Temperley to terminate the loan. He hasn't lost any wages as far as I can see, and the story was that Temperley were happy to have him back (possibly wanted him back).

I guess we'll never know the full story, but my guess is that Joyce just doesn't favour "flashy" players. So exit Brandan.

• Like 2

My thought always has been that Brandon was released not because he was injured, not because he wasn’t the player he used to be, but fundamentally because he wasn’t Joyce’s style of player, being a player of flair who wasn’t wonderful defensively and above all wasn’t a work horse.

Now what really worries me about that is work horses don’t win you games.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shahanga said:

My thought always has been that Brandon was released not because he was injured, not because he wasn’t the player he used to be, but fundamentally because he wasn’t Joyce’s style of player, being a player of flair who wasn’t wonderful defensively and above all wasn’t a work horse.

Now what really worries me about that is work horses don’t win you games.

No, they win you championships ;)