Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

16 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

And came on in the 71st minute. Fingers crossed for him.

I will be really disappointed if there is any booing if he gets on the park against us at AAMI future.

I am sure that there won't be... but I also didn't think people would jeer Retre when he took the field on Friday.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Blackout said:

I will be really disappointed if there is any booing if he gets on the park against us at AAMI future.

I am sure that there won't be... but I also didn't think people would jeer Retre when he took the field on Friday.

I thought that was bad, he was surplus to our needs and left to get opportunities, I don't know why he should get jeered

likewise with Redmayne, the fans wanted him gone, so they they got their wish when he went.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, japiedog said:

I thought that was bad, he was surplus to our needs and left to get opportunities, I don't know why he should get jeered

likewise with Redmayne, the fans wanted him gone, so they they got their wish when he went.

I didn't think Retre was surplus to our requirements at all. He could come on and be a very useful player in a number of positions, including RB. As in the case of Caceres, I think we've made a mistake in letting Retre go.

Redmayne was highly regarded when we poached him from Brisbane. In due course he was good enough to oust Bolton. Then he just got worse and worse under the tutelage of Joey Nepotism, to the point where his main role was to pick the ball out of the net. Under a new coach he's doing well. Sure he made one mistake on Friday, but his kicking was no worse than that of Galekovic.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I didn't think Retre was surplus to our requirements at all. He could come on and be a very useful player in a number of positions, including RB. As in the case of Caceres, I think we've made a mistake in letting Retre go.

Redmayne was highly regarded when we poached him from Brisbane. In due course he was good enough to oust Bolton. Then he just got worse and worse under the tutelage of Joey Nepotism, to the point where his main role was to pick the ball out of the net. Under a new coach he's doing well. Sure he made one mistake on Friday, but his kicking was no worse than that of Galekovic.

In regards to Caceres recent comments by Wazza indicate that we wanted him to stay but it was his choice to leave. Presume he now has a healthier bank balance than before.

In regards to Retre it seemed the club forced him out and thus "they" viewed him as surplus to requirements.

IMO, very few players get much positive reaction when they return largely because they haven't normally done enough to fully deserve it.

Of which, I can only think of one who has played against who has been even somewhat well received (that being Hoffman)

So unless you were a nobody when you left (a youth player who never got any senior time) or have left overseas for a while (IE Hamill and Marrone), you'll get a level of ribbing from your former fans in accordance with the level of disdain.  

Guys like Retre only get a little amount in the first time they return "home" - mostly as a "we remember who you were" as opposed to any real malice.

It's mostly the Redmayne's, the Garcia's and the Mauk's (mostly thanks that Sorensen bullshit) for largely acting like kents either towards the end or in the aftermarth

9 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

IMO, very few players get much positive reaction when they return largely because they haven't normally done enough to fully deserve it.

Of which, I can only think of one who has played against who has been even somewhat well received (that being Hoffman)

So unless you were a nobody when you left (a youth player who never got any senior time) or have left overseas for a while (IE Hamill and Marrone), you'll get a level of ribbing from your former fans in accordance with the level of disdain.  

Guys like Retre only get a little amount in the first time they return "home" - mostly as a "we remember who you were" as opposed to any real malice.

It's mostly the Redmayne's, the Garcia's and the Mauk's (mostly thanks that Sorensen bullshit) for largely acting like kents either towards the end or in the aftermarth

This would be different if we actually had players who stayed with our club for more than two seasons. Few do. IIRC The Hoff was with us for 4 seasons.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I was watching Redmayne when the final whistle went. He lost the plot celebrating. Booted the ball 30m in the air, doubled fist pumps, screaming, viciously hugging his teammates etc. 

Honestly felt happy for him.

Dunno why people so aggressively boo him. It's not like he left on bad terms 

29 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Dunno why people so aggressively boo him. It's not like he left on bad terms 

It’s not cos he left. It’s because he was so shit for us which is albeit unfair cos he was usually surrounded by shit players. But it’s similar to all of us booing Aloisi cos he was a horrible coach..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

It’s not cos he left. It’s because he was so shit for us which is albeit unfair cos he was usually surrounded by shit players. But it’s similar to all of us booing Aloisi cos he was a horrible coach..

Difference is that JA was the architect of the shite, he could have swallowed his pride and said, "I'm not up for the job"

I always figured the booing was part of putting a keeper off in general, but also magnified in Redmaynes case cause  its easier to find reason to boo him specifically due to him conceding so much when he was with us. And also cause he's generally not rated as a keeper. Full blame lies at JAs feet though. 

• Like 1

Do remember that the season where Velaphi replaced Redmayne in goals (the last season Redmayne played for us before going to WSW) Velaphi started 19 times for 9 clean sheets while Redmayne started 10 times for 0 clean sheets (that's right, 0).

Redmayne was shit, good players in front of him or not