Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

15 hours ago, belaguttman said:

He always means to, for once his hands were accidentally in the right place. It helped that it was kicked right to him, mind you that didn't help when he was playing for us.

Redmayne was actually a reasonable keeper when he came to us for season 2012-13. He'd played for the Australian U-20 and U-23 sides (25 and 6 matches respectively) and he pushed his way into the A-League team in January 2013 and held the No. 1 spot for the rest of the season on merit.

Seriously, he's just another player who was poorly coached whilst with us. Just in GKs alone we've had both Chris Maynard and Alistair Bray on our books in the past, both very competent  but who went nowhere with us. And we've previously discussed many other young players all over the park who came to us and went downhill thereafter.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Redmayne was actually a reasonable keeper when he came to us for season 2012-13. He'd played for the Australian U-20 and U-23 sides (25 and 6 matches respectively) and he pushed his way into the A-League team in January 2013 and held the No. 1 spot for the rest of the season on merit.

Seriously, he's just another player who was poorly coached whilst with us. Just in GKs alone we've had both Chris Maynard and Alistair Bray on our books in the past, both very competent  but who went nowhere with us. And we've previously discussed many other young players all over the park who came to us and went downhill thereafter.

One of the things that annoyed me about Redmayne's game that changed under our coacing was that when he first used to make a save he would actually hold the ball when making a save, but come the 2013-2014 season it seems the instructions from the coaches were to punch the ball away, which would usually lead to further and sustained pressure.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, malloy said:

One of the things that annoyed me about Redmayne's game that changed under our coacing was that when he first used to make a save he would actually hold the ball when making a save, but come the 2013-2014 season it seems the instructions from the coaches were to punch the ball away, which would usually lead to further and sustained pressure.

Yeah I remember he was actually a really good catch, almost overhead marking style reaching it at it's highest point like AFL. it was a nice change from typical keepers who would either catch it with their chest or punch anything away that wasn't chest mark material

• Like 1

7 hours ago, haz said:

Melling back on the pitch for WSW against Arsenal. Already getting into Granit Xhaka's face.... man I miss him.

After watching him again against Arsenal I think it was probably for the best he left. He is very 1 dimensional works hard and is very much in your face but with the ball lacks that extra technical ability and decision making.

Once fit he will become a decent A League squad player. 

5 hours ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Our ex Irish recruit, Liam Miller, has moved to a club in the Second Division in Malta called Fgura United. What a terrible move for a 36 year old.

genuinely forgot he played for us lol

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Surely he could have done better than Maltese second division?

He wasn't that flash when he played here years ago, let alone now. He's probably just enjoying the warm weather at the end of a long career.

Edited by Jimmy

On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:59 PM, Hellenic Hero said:

Our ex Irish recruit, Liam Miller, has moved to a club in the Second Division in Malta called Fgura United. What a terrible move for a 36 year old.

I've always thought that if you were a mid range soccer player (pro but nothing special) it would be a great opportunity to travel the world. Spend 1-2 seasons at a club, and experience living in all these different countries and environments. Sorenson is an excellent example of a player who has made the most of his situation, he has clearly used his time with us to explore a new country.

I would imagine that it would be an easier job to do this with the expectation of moving clubs, the fact that your role remains similar throughout and that players seem to get their fair share of downtime.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Aardvark said:

I've always thought that if you were a mid range soccer player (pro but nothing special) it would be a great opportunity to travel the world. Spend 1-2 seasons at a club, and experience living in all these different countries and environments. Sorenson is an excellent example of a player who has made the most of his situation, he has clearly used his time with us to explore a new country.

I would imagine that it would be an easier job to do this with the expectation of moving clubs, the fact that your role remains similar throughout and that players seem to get their fair share of downtime.

CC: Erik Paartalu

• Like 2

Redders was also trash at WSW so it wasn't all Didulica's doing. Getting the best GK coach in the country working with him at Sydney FC may have helped a bit, but he's hardly the bloke you'd want between the sticks if you're planning on being a contender.

28 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Redders was also trash at WSW so it wasn't all Didulica's doing. Getting the best GK coach in the country working with him at Sydney FC may have helped a bit, but he's hardly the bloke you'd want between the sticks if you're planning on being a contender.

It takes a bit of time to recover from the combined tutelage of JD (Joey) JA and JVS

• Like 2

Australian defender Curtis Good has been linked with a move to join John van 't Schip's Eredivisie club PEC Zwolle, according to Dutch reports.

Good and van 't Schip worked together previously at Melbourne Heart, before the one-time Socceroo's move to Newcastle in 2012.

The 24-year-old has one year to run on his Magpies contract but out of the first-team frame after years cursed by injury.

Good returned to full fitness in 2017-18 but played mainly in the reserves and youth sides, making one first-team appearance in a 3-0 cup defeat to Oxford United.

It is expected that Good will leave Newcastle this off-season and he was previously linked with Notts County, although their boss Kevin Nolan dismissed the speculation.

PEC Zwolle is the former home of Socceroos defender Trent Sainsbury.

The Blauwvingers finished last season in 14th but have become a regular fixture in the top flight, with the 2017-18 campaign marking their sixth consecutive term in the Eredivisie.

Zwolle also won the Dutch KNVB Cup in 2014, representing a significant breakthrough for a modest club.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/good-set-for-dutch-jvs-reunion-469502

On 27/07/2017 at 7:57 PM, haz said:

Australian defender Curtis Good has been linked with a move to join John van 't Schip's Eredivisie club PEC Zwolle, according to Dutch reports.

Good and van 't Schip worked together previously at Melbourne Heart, before the one-time Socceroo's move to Newcastle in 2012.

The 24-year-old has one year to run on his Magpies contract but out of the first-team frame after years cursed by injury.

Good returned to full fitness in 2017-18 but played mainly in the reserves and youth sides, making one first-team appearance in a 3-0 cup defeat to Oxford United.

It is expected that Good will leave Newcastle this off-season and he was previously linked with Notts County, although their boss Kevin Nolan dismissed the speculation.

PEC Zwolle is the former home of Socceroos defender Trent Sainsbury.

The Blauwvingers finished last season in 14th but have become a regular fixture in the top flight, with the 2017-18 campaign marking their sixth consecutive term in the Eredivisie.

Zwolle also won the Dutch KNVB Cup in 2014, representing a significant breakthrough for a modest club.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/good-set-for-dutch-jvs-reunion-469502

Back at Newcastle after Zwolle binned him off... 

Edited by Begbie

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

From what I can see Corey Gameiro is yet to kick a ball for Brisbane. I don't think he's been named in any pre-season match squad so far.

My expectation is that Corey had been signed on the same philosophy as a youth, that is low wages and any return is considered a bonus (thus I think he's low risk, rather than high risk). Can't quite remember when his latest injury happened but I think it was in the earlier part of the season? I therefore wouldn't expect him till about round 10, given his history etc.

13 hours ago, haz said:

Aaron Mooy scores his first PL goal!

I hope everyone is aware how lucky we were to watch this man play for us, wont be a player like him again for a long time.

I suspect that's part of the problem.  Some fans think we can pluck a gem like him out of the air whenever we like.  From more than 30 years of regularly watching football here and in the UK, all I can say is that they just pop up every now and then, and you just enjoy the privilege of watching them before they move onto bigger things.  Reminds me of David Kelly (Ireland international, later West Ham and Wolves) when he popped up at Walsall as a youngster.  He was just a class above, and you knew he'd play in the highest league.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Shahanga said:

My expectation is that Corey had been signed on the same philosophy as a youth, that is low wages and any return is considered a bonus (thus I think he's low risk, rather than high risk). Can't quite remember when his latest injury happened but I think it was in the earlier part of the season? I therefore wouldn't expect him till about round 10, given his history etc.

he is there to bring down the age average for the Dad's Army

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I suspect that's part of the problem.  Some fans think we can pluck a gem like him out of the air whenever we like.  From more than 30 years of regularly watching football here and in the UK, all I can say is that they just pop up every now and then, and you just enjoy the privilege of watching them before they move onto bigger things.  Reminds me of David Kelly (Ireland international, later West Ham and Wolves) when he popped up at Walsall as a youngster.  He was just a class above, and you knew he'd play in the highest league.

Part of the fun of watching what's truly a global game IMO.

It's sad to lose players like that but at least you can follow their careers as they progress elsewhere

7 minutes ago, Dylan said:

he is there to bring down the age average for the Dad's Army

Related image

Edited by Embee
  • Like 2