Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2017 at 2:10 PM, Jovan said:

(mauk) To be dragged in his first league game at half time is pretty much how below the standard necessary. 

For his sake and FWIW after his cheapshot I'm no fan I hope he sticks it out and battles and works super hard. If he returns for an easy contract he will never get another chance. 

At least he can get that European Kontiki tour cheap now, without having to pay the fare from Australia.  

Seriously though his attitude (as it appeared in that interview) to being told where he needed to improve was terrible.  There I was thinking he was going to Europe to get better as a player, but apparently he was going over there to show them how good he already was.

I must say I'm not shocked by his attitude, but its still frustrating to see a young player squander their opportunity due to their arrogance and sense of entitlement.

• Like 2

Had a chat with Callum Richardson last night, my cousin is dating him so he came to a family function. He's playing for Green Gully now, but more importantly he told me some very interesting things about the squad in 15-16.

Apparently Bruno and Mooy were great blokes, far and away the hardest working/ most professional at the the club. Mooy a bit shy, but both friendly and approachable whilst being good role models.

Novillo on the other hand was a bit of a weird character, seemed to be the troublemaker of the club. Often was punished at training for ill-discipline, and a couple of younger guys (Retre and a youth player who has since left) were told to stay away from him for he was a bad influence.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Had a chat with Callum Richardson last night, my cousin is dating him so he came to a family function. He's playing for Green Gully now, but more importantly he told me some very interesting things about the squad in 15-16.

Apparently Bruno and Mooy were great blokes, far and away the hardest working/ most professional at the the club. Mooy a bit shy, but both friendly and approachable whilst being good role models.

Novillo on the other hand was a bit of a weird character, seemed to be the troublemaker of the club. Often was punished at training for ill-discipline, and a couple of younger guys (Retre and a youth player who has since left) were told to stay away from him for he was a bad influence.

Green line for this insight

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Ok, my thoughts....

There's nothing here that's really surprising is there. 

All you've done is name dropped someone for info about players who aren't even at the club now anyway. 

All I've taken from this is: 'shit, Callum Richardson has a big mouth.'

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rass said:

Ok, my thoughts....

There's nothing here that's really surprising is there. 

All you've done is name dropped someone for info about players who aren't even at the club now anyway. 

All I've taken from this is: 'shit, Callum Richardson has a big mouth.'

Meh, last paragraph was interesting. Take or leave the rest of it.

27 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Meh, last paragraph was interesting. Take or leave the rest of it.

Not really, Novillo's bad attitude and ill discipline has been discussed on here multiple times. As far as some of the younger guys being told to keep away, that's hardly surprising and I'd expect that happens more than you'd think at football clubs.

Non-story.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Embee said:

Not really, Novillo's bad attitude and ill discipline has been discussed on here multiple times. As far as some of the younger guys being told to keep away, that's hardly surprising and I'd expect that happens more than you'd think at football clubs.

Non-story.

Probably right TBH, on reflection the only part that I was interested in was the younger lads being told to keep away, but if that's a constant occurrence then it's not the most groundbreaking news of all time. 

On 2 June 2017 at 0:40 PM, Hellenic Hero said:

Had a chat with Callum Richardson last night, my cousin is dating him so he came to a family function. He's playing for Green Gully now, but more importantly he told me some very fucking obvious things about the squad in 15-16 that have not only been discussed in length on this forum but in the media too.

Apparently Bruno and Mooy were great blokes, far and away the hardest working/ most professional at the the club as confirmed by every person on this forum many times. Mooy a bit shy, but both friendly and approachable whilst being good role models.

Novillo on the other hand was a bit of a weird character, seemed to be the troublemaker of the club according to him and every other person connected to the Aleague in general. Often was punished at training for ill-discipline, and a couple of younger guys (Retre and a youth player who has since left) were told to stay away from him for he was a bad influence.

Couple minor edits

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO this guy took us for a ride for a whole season. Shows how weak our management is.

Seriously.

Do you honestly think a seasoned pro (ex epl and international) would willingly sit on the bench for pretty much an entire season.

I think its more people underestimate the hardness of the grounds especially in summer. These Europeans have played entire carrers on soft pitches and being over 30 its much harder to adapt. 

Be interesting to see how many games Jakobsen will play.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Seriously.

Do you honestly think a seasoned pro (ex epl and international) would willingly sit on the bench for pretty much an entire season.

I think its more people underestimate the hardness of the grounds especially in summer. These Europeans have played entire carrers on soft pitches and being over 30 its much harder to adapt. 

Should we water the grounds more ? 

13 hours ago, Jovan said:

Seriously.

At the time I would have thought exactly the same - no. But to see him still playing really does make me question just what was going on while he was with us. Especially when he was called up for international duty whilst unable to even get as far as our bench (28th March 2016).

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

But to see him still playing really does make me question just what was going on while he was with us. Especially when he was called up for international duty whilst unable to even get as far as our bench (28th March 2016).

He was fully fit and training well for the final 2 months of that season. JVS for some reason just wouldn't select him.

He has just signed a new 1 year deal at Hearts where his coach says he is an important player and leader on the field.

35 minutes ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

He was fully fit and training well for the final 2 months of that season. JVS for some reason just wouldn't select him.

He has just signed a new 1 year deal at Hearts where his coach says he is an important player and leader on the field.

So, Hughes in 2015/16, Sorensen in 2016/17. What a waste of visa and salary cap space. No wonder Khaldoon al Mubarak said what he did.

On 2017-5-29 at 0:32 PM, Hellenic Hero said:

Germano and Mass have been dominating for Avondale. Germano in particular is somewhat of a cult hero at Avondale.

yeah, trained with them a couple times last year while playing for avondale ressies. Those two are seriously class. Dont know how they do half the shit they do

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I really don't think Hughes was at fault at all. I think it was more one of those baffling coaching decisions. 

Without reopening the Koren saga but one does wonder wtf was going on.

Last season Fernando wasn't started for at least 4 or 5 games when to everyone he was the best option. Then Fitzy when he found form was dropped and struggled to start. Sorensen not being the starting keeper. Chapman making his move and then leaving us badly short manned. Caceras barely getting a sniff. Then playing players that deserved a rest, Brattan after his Thailand excursion. Kamau after his head knock. Muscat. 

Some of the decisions have been completely bewildering and from my point of view very few of the were caused by the players and rest solely on poor management.

On reflection IMO you're absolutely right.

1 hour ago, hakz7 said:

Duff and Garcia were on the same team in the Carrick testimonial last night. Garcia was a close friend of Carrick for those who didn't know.

Without bothering to google it I assume that means Garcia went through West Ham youth? I know he played at Colchester for a while cause the old man supports the U's

2 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Without bothering to google it I assume that means Garcia went through West Ham youth? I know he played at Colchester for a while cause the old man supports the U's

I had to google it and yes, he was in West Ham youth

2 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Does he remember the old ground in Layer Road? I lived in the road next door to the ground for a year or so.