Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

6 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Hmm tbh I've always been under the impression he's a bit difficult. Not enough to sack someone over, but enough that he can cause a little bit of disharmony in the sheds. Only hearsay tho.

It's pretty easy to use Google to find that he made some unnecessary comments about the two coaches who followed AP at Brisbane, and that just before he left (when his departure was rumoured) he was sent to train with the Brisbane youth team.

Whether expressing an opinion on something that directly affects you constitutes being "difficult" I don't know.

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It's pretty easy to use Google to find that he made some unnecessary comments about the two coaches who followed AP at Brisbane, and that just before he left (when his departure was rumoured) he was sent to train with the Brisbane youth team.

Whether expressing an opinion on something that directly affects you constitutes being "difficult" I don't know.

Im at work on ny phone so easier to ask on here.

I would say that a player expressing negative opinions about a coach would classify as difficult. And the part about him training with the youth squad does sound like i certainly got the wrong impression.

1 hour ago, KSK_47 said:

Im at work on ny phone so easier to ask on here.

I would say that a player expressing negative opinions about a coach would classify as difficult. And the part about him training with the youth squad does sound like i certainly got the wrong impression.

Examples for you.

http://neoskosmos.com/news/en/Brisbane-banishes-Paartalu,-welcomes-North

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/erik-paartalu-brisbane-roar-still-missing-postecoglou-magic/story-fndb5nmd-1226557387244

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4024/aussies-abroad/2013/05/29/4011256/paartalu-holds-no-regrets-over-roar-exit-tianjin-move

• Like 1

FWIW I caught the same plane back from when we beat Brisbane with the team two seasons ago and I actually had the team seated around me.

It was the first "Melbourne City" win ever after the Season had begun with two draws and two loses, the rest of team seemed pretty upbeat amongst each other and talkative or at least semi-talkative. 

However it was actually stood out to to me that Paartalu did not make a peep, and was very serious and not interacting with any of the other players and appeared to be pretty bored for someone who had just recorded his first win for his new club.

20 hours ago, Tonyboozeadams said:

Gol gol released by wsw

Always played like a park footballer for mine. Could do flashy stuff but a bit like Kuzi always tried to take them on instead of doing simple stuff and really lacked game and positional awareness or any willingness to get involved in the defensive side of the game.

And I am so glad the days of Dugandzic taking set pieces are behind us. You either got a completely useless short corner or a cross that barely made it to the first defender. Mate not only looked like a 12 year old, his crosses had the power of a 12 year olds too.

• Like 1

The viking got a bit lippy towards the end at Roar wanted more coin. Before that he was a bit of a no one so I doubt he had the runs on the board to make any noise. Having said that I agree that Ange gets something that a lot of these other guys don't.

21 hours ago, The Aardvark said:

Always played like a park footballer for mine. Could do flashy stuff but a bit like Kuzi always tried to take them on instead of doing simple stuff and really lacked game and positional awareness or any willingness to get involved in the defensive side of the game.

And I am so glad the days of Dugandzic taking set pieces are behind us. You either got a completely useless short corner or a cross that barely made it to the first defender. Mate not only looked like a 12 year old, his crosses had the power of a 12 year olds too.

What about his cannon-like shots?

Socceroos great Harry Kewell says English football needs to expose its youth players to competing against men

May 9, 2016

David Davutovic

HARRY Kewell says that exposing A-League youth sides to men’s football is the best thing for youngsters’ development and something that is stymieing English football.

Melbourne Victory and Melbourne City’s youth sides are playing their second seasons in the National Premier Leagues Victoria, having previously played in the National Youth League.

Kewell has just finished his first season as youth coach of English Premier League side Watford, and his team plays only in an under-21 league.

While the youth teams of German and Spanish clubs play in the second or third men’s leagues, English youth players can play against men only by going out on loan to lower-tier clubs.

“I think that’s a brilliant idea, fantastic,’’ Kewell said.

“The problem is managers look at young kids coming through and because they don’t have that experience they feel they’re not ready yet.

“Some kids don’t need it, they can step up. Others need time to get adjusted.

“The Chelsea 18s won the FA Cup, they were phenomenal, they had the best of the best, as do their 21s. But there’s no competition, even against PSG, Real Madrid.

“Where do they go? How do they better themselves? That’s why they go on loan and play against men. It’s important for players to understand it’s no longer kids’ football, it’s men’s football.

“I was thrown in young, but not everyone gets a chance. When you step up, you need to be able to handle yourself. A lot of kids find it hard to voice their opinion, they feel intimidated.’’

The former Socceroo was in Melbourne last week running clinics for the Harry Kewell Academy, and admitted he was a much better coach than a year ago.

“I love it. Big lesson in football, a big learning curve,’’ he said.

“Coaching’s not easy. You have ideas in your head and it’s about projecting them and making people understand them.

“Some boys didn’t understand me and that was a lesson for me. It’s made me a better coach because I had to look at myself and make sure I covered all areas, showing diagrams and video clips rather than just turning up for training. There’s a lot more work involved.

“It hurts to lose, but I’m definitely a better coach than I was at the start of the season. I don’t swear — some people only hear that.

“You’ve got to make sure you have the right people behind you.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/socceroos-great-harry-kewell-says-english-football-needs-to-expose-its-youth-players-to-competing-against-men/news-story/ac40ed172b079a2009ca21e6aeda272f

17 minutes ago, japiedog said:

personally, I think we  should have kept  Kliment Taseski  &  David Vrankovic for a year or two, they both showed promise

IIRC David Vrankovic had a much higher opinion of himself than anyone else did

27 minutes ago, japiedog said:

fair enough, you know more on that subject than I do

Not really, but I vaguely remember him having a couple of bad games and getting dropped, then cracking the shits and leaving. Not unlike Ross Archibald.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2016 at 9:47 AM, japiedog said:

personally, I think we  should have kept  Kliment Taseski  &  David Vrankovic for a year or two, they both showed promise

On 5/12/2016 at 10:05 AM, bt50 said:

IIRC David Vrankovic had a much higher opinion of himself than anyone else did

On 5/12/2016 at 10:56 AM, japiedog said:

fair enough, you know more on that subject than I do

Lets face it if once he delist somebody and no other A-League clubs wants them either then they are obviously not up to A-League Quality... as every A-League side has some pretty poor Minimum Wage Paid Squad Fillers.

When a player leaves our squad and gets no interest shown in him by any other club that means he is deemed unsuitable by the whole league and not just us.

They only exception would be if these guys are choosing to make more money through the combination of a good NPL Salary and a Club offered cushy job however even then guys like Taseski and Vranks would still probably prefer to be professional A-League players. 

On 12/05/2016 at 11:25 AM, bt50 said:

Not really, but I vaguely remember him having a couple of bad games and getting dropped, then cracking the shits and leaving. Not unlike Ross Archibald.

Vrankovic was significantly better than Archibald TBH, but I agree he did think he was better than he actually was. IIRC some of us ran into his family when we were at a Sydney away game as they were also in the away bay and they were complaining that he wasn't playing enough. 

Bergers signing Petreski reflects on “unforgettable” City experience

by Jordan Lim

May 19, 2016

Melbourne City’s longest serving player Phil Petreski has departed the club by joining Heidelberg United effective immediately.

The 21-year-old utility moves to Olympic Village, having spent the last five years in the youth team of the club formerly known as Melbourne Heart.

In addition to his spell at Bundoora, Petreski has previously had two loan spells with South Melbourne in 2012 and 2013, as well as another with Northcote City in 2014.

The Macedonian youth international gave an indication into his reasoning behind the short move to Olympic Village emphasising the club’s family-orientated atmosphere as one of the deciding factors.

“I decided to join the club because I’ve enjoyed watching them over the years. They are a family/fan oriented club with a big fan base. I also believe the squad is good enough to win titles and is a squad full of quality players”, said the departing City Youth captain.

The decision to join George Katsakis’ men strengthens a squad which is currently plagued with a number of high-profile absentees through injury with Warriors’ FFA Cup run coming to an end this week with a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Green Gully.

A talented junior at several south eastern suburbs based club, Petreski featured in the youth ranks of South Melbourne before being selected into the elite NTC set-up.

He had also had trials with Premier League sides Stoke City and Chelsea before signing for Heart ahead of their inaugural NYL campaign in 2011/12 under the tenure of John Aloisi.

From there onwards, Petreski became a regular in the youth team and captained the club to a maiden 2014/15 NYL Championship under for Joe Palatsides, one of the highlights of his time with the club.

“My time at City was something I will never forget,” Petreski said.

“I’ve made so many friendships with players and staff and have enjoyed every minute of it. There was many highlights like playing against Manchester City but captaining the team to winning the league will stay with me as winning the clubs first ever trophy was massive”

Despite making his senior debut in the club’s glamour friendly against sister club Manchester City in July of last year, the youngster found first-team opportunities hard to come by under John van’t Schip and is disappointed with these state of affairs.

“I am disappointed not to have featured more with the senior team. I thought I did enough to earn a call up but at the end of the day that’s football and it doesn’t always go your way” Petreski said.

He made a total of 28 appearances for City in NPL2 since their inclusion into the competition last year, scoring seven goals in the process – five of which have been scored this season.

Petreski was capped by the Macedonia U21s National Team on two occasions last year – one of which was a 3-1 triumph over the Olyroos – and hopes to eventually feature for the senior side although his immediate focus is with the Bergers.

“Representing your country is what every footballer wants to do and I would definitely love to do that in the future. At the moment, I’m going to focus on playing well for Heidelberg and let the national team stuff work itself out in time.”

Petreski is eligible to make his debut for the fifth place Heidelberg this Sunday in their home fixture against the Melbourne Victory at Olympic Village and added “my goals for this season is to play well and do my part for the team.

We want to win every game we play in and I believe we can challenge for the title with the rest of the boys being confident of achieving this.”

http://www.cornerflag.com.au/bergers-signing-petreski-reflects-on-unforgettable-city-experience/

• 2 weeks later...

Former Melbourne City duo find homes in NPL2

by Staff Writers

June 5, 2016 

Former Melbourne City youth members Marko Stevanja and Nicolas Gonzalez have been snapped up by Werribee City and Sunshine George Cross respectively for the remainder of the NPL2 West season.

They form part of a number of transfers by the clubs, including one between the two, with Denis Dasoul switching from Sunshine to Werribee.

Stevanja began his footballing career in Geelong, before moving to Melbourne and establishing himself as the club’s number one over the course of the 2014 NPL season.

His exploits between the sticks at Frank Holohan Reserve saw him called up to the Melbourne City youth team over the 2014/15 NYL season, featuring on the bench for the senior side.

After being released and forced on the sidelines, he was training at North Geelong Warriors before the Werribee opportunity came along.

Other players confirmed on the Werribee senior roster are Zachariah Ahmad (promoted), Damien Peters, Shaun Weaver (Cairnlea FC) and Benjamin Mammone (Keilor Park), while Hamid Kamali (long-term injury), Reis Aygun, Jake Crea, Patrick Colliar (Corio SC), Matko Budimir (Hoppers Crossing) have departed the club.

Meanwhile, 18-year-old Nicolas Gonzalez signed at George Cross after failure to cement a spot in the senior NPL side.

The former Moreland Zebras junior made the move in search of regular time and senior experience.

Gonzalez notably netted a winner against crosstown rivals Victory in a National Youth League fixture in late 2015.

Sunshine have also included the signing of Hernan Alquintas from state league side Brighton, with the speedy Chilean winger adding a threat from the left side.

Another Sunshine signing was 17-year-old Matthew Jones from Moreland Zebras.

The young goalkeeper linked up with Gonzalez, featuring twice in the league already – both yielding a result in the form of a draw against Moreland City and win over Eastern Lions.

Amara Kromah, Sime Brzoja, Senad Ahmetovic (Springvale City FC), Anthony Marafioti (Brunswick City SC) and Eddie Cetkin (Sydenham Park) are players confirmed off the club’s senior roster since the season’s commencement.

http://www.cornerflag.com.au/melbourne-city-duo-find-npl2-homes/

Aaron Hughes got his 100th cap for Northern Ireland overnight:

Michael O'Neill allays injury fears over Craig Cathcart and Kyle Lafferty

Sunday 05 June 2016

[...]

However, neither problem is considered serious eight days ahead of their Euro 2016 opener with Poland, as O'Neill's men kept their impressive run going in a contest where Aaron Hughes won his 100th cap.

[...]

That Slovakian approach did pave the way for Hughes to join Pat Jennings in his country's century club half an hour into the game.

There was no ceremony or celebration as he dashed in to defend a corner and O'Neill was delighted that a 36-year-old player used sparingly by club side Melbourne City last term showed he can still cut it on the international stage.

"It's fitting that Aaron is the first outfield player to gain 100 caps," he said.

"He didn't want it given to him and it certainly wasn't given to him tonight. He had to go on in difficult circumstances. My plan was to introduce him at some point in the game and I was actually delighted that I did put him on in the situation we did.

"It's important that we know he's still ready and he certainly showed that. He's not played a lot of football in Australia this year but what he has done, his focus has been to be ready for the finals.

"You see the reaction of the players in the dressing room with him, what it means for a player like Aaron Hughes to be part of this squad and to reach 100 caps."

http://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/sport/national-sport/michael-o-neill-allays-injury-fears-over-craig-cathcart-and-kyle-lafferty-1-7416141

1 hour ago, japiedog said:

if I'm not mistaken that

if I'm not mistaken, Mareeba is where Srhoj lived his childhood years, there is a road on the outskirts of town that is named Srhoj,

Good on him returning home, btw Mareeba is a hole. Its Cairns' equivalent of Ballarat, and that says something.

• Like 1