Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

Lol honestly good luck to him, at least he has come back and is trying to prove himself in the NPL and get another go at the A-League, rather than getting no where playing at the same standard (if not worse TBH) in the UK where he won't get anywhere even if he played well.

2 hours ago, cadete said:

Probably will be voted the "Fan's Best On Ground" for Friday nights game if he is watching from the stands... now that his back in Melbourne.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

Your hate runs deep...

I just like to rub it in when I am proven right on things... just ask FB.

Edited by cadete

Key signings have Geelong soccer coach in buoyant mood

November 11, 2015

Ryan Reynolds

GEELONG has made a very clear and loud statement of intent that it wants to be out of State League 2 this season.

The club has announced three key signings with coach Steve Laurie adding there was even more to come.

Former Australian under-17 and A-League youth player Brodie Paterson, veteran goalkeeper Stuart Webster and midfielder Dulie Delic are the first key names to put pen to paper and join Geelong.

Laurie said the club will continue its search internationally as it looks to push towards a berth in the National Premier League.

“That’s the end product which we want to obtain,” Laurie said of his club’s ambition to reach Victoria’s top flight.

“We’ll add a couple more big signings. We’ve got a couple of kids released by Melbourne City training with us.

“I’m entertaining the avenue of bringing out two boys (from England). It’ll come down to budgets and finance but I am certainly in contact with people in England, Scotland and China.

“It certainly is (a sign of intent from the club).”

The club will finish its first four week block of pre-season training on Saturday before having a short spell through December.

Former Melbourne City and Western Sydney Wanderer Nick Kalmar had also trained with Geelong as his search for a new club continues.

Laurie said Paterson, an attacking midfielder, was an terrific signing.

“I’m over the moon to get Brodie. He gets the best out of himself when he enjoys football and that’s where he is at at this stage in his life,” he said of the 21-year-old.

“I’ve been full time and I’ve gone through the system. He is as good as you can get technically.

“You cannot get someone at that age in the state with that much of a football brain.”

Webster brings invaluable experience in goal for Geelong and adds extra competition for a starting spot with Alec Kitanovski.

“Alec done very, very well for us. If you are a soccer mind, at 24, 25 you are still learning,” Laurie said.

“He will be an absolute brilliant keeper. But I had to get someone with experience and give Alec that little bit extra that he needs to be solid as our number one in years to come.”

Laurie said he had admired Delic for a number of years and finally managed to nab his man for this season.

“To be honest at the back of my mind I thought if I got a team then I’d always want to take Dulie,” he said.

“He can play anywhere in midfield. He is just a natural footballing talent.

“He doesn’t give the ball away, he is tricky on the ball.”

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/sport/local-sport/key-signings-have-geelong-soccer-coach-in-buoyant-mood/news-story/d7218a365d1d3bd6f102e87a18544f6f

From the Border Mail (Albury Wodonga)

Kennedy puts family first

It’s hard work, you’ve got to be on the ball or you’re in trouble. - Josh Kennedy

JOSH Kennedy has been given some tough jobs in his decorated career, but none as tough as this.

The recently retired Socceroos star has taken over as the primary carer of his three children, with wife Jacinta back playing WNBL.

Kennedy said he loved taking care of Jayda, 8, Isabelle, 7, and Lachlan, 4, but has new-found respect for Jacinta.

“It’s hard work, you’ve got to be on the ball or you’re in trouble,” Kennedy said.

“My wife’s gone back to play so it’s quite odd to switch roles. 

“She’s out playing sport and I’m the primary caretaker for our children. 

“Making lunches and doing school drop offs. 

“It’s good to get a perspective of what my wife had to do.” 

The Kennedys have been together since they started dating as 17-year-olds at the Australian Institute of Sport.

When they returned to Melbourne, Jacinta hadn't played serious basketball for almost eight years.

She’s now back with the Dandenong Ranges in the WNBL – Jacinta had previously won three championships with the club and won a Commonwealth Games gold meal with the Opals – while Kennedy enjoys retirement.

A chronic back injury forced the striker to retire from A-League club Melbourne City in June this year.

Kennedy said he still wasn’t pain free in his day-to-day life.

“Just being able to run around with the kids is my goal,” the 33-year-old said.

“I’m still chipping away with it. 

“The kids would miss out on a lot if I wasn’t able to run around with them so that’s what I want to do.”

Kennedy did it all in a career spanning 16 years.

He was part of three World Cup campaigns – he played in Germany in 2006 and in South Africa in 2010 –but injury prevented the tall striker from participating in the 2014 tournament in Brazil.

Overall, he was capped 36 times for Australia, scoring 17 goals, many with his head.

Kennedy played most of his club career in Germany before a switch to J-League club Nagoya Grampus.

He returned home in January to join City as its Australian marquee.

Kennedy scored two goals in 12 appearances for the club - including against Wellington in the elimination final – before his back injury became too much to bare.

He’s not sure what his working future holds, although Kennedy is contemplating a coaching career, sitting a C licence course in Albury at the weekend.

“The opportunity came up with the course in Albury and it’s probably the first time I’ve had the time to do something like this,” he said.

“It’s good to see the game from a different angle.

“I really don’t know what I want to sink my teeth into. 

“The coaching course is a good opportunity to excite my interest and see if it’s something I want to do more serious.

“I’m just happy to enjoy retirement at the moment and keep myself busy.

“I’d love to play locally (in Melbourne) but I’m happy not doing anything and letting my body recover.”

Whats the go with Behich now, seems to be second choice.

Looks like the bloke that replaced him is a 20yo who is in the Turkish senior national team.

Time to find a new club, even if he was better it would be hard to take the spot back since they'd be looking to build up the transfer value of the 20yo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Alistair Bray making his debut for Central Coast in their loss to Adelaide. Good solid performance, commanded his area well and his disposal was good. Glad he finally got his opportunity.

Michael Mifsud with an outstanding performance again. This time in the voting for the Ballon D'Or as the captain of Malta. He left out Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar and selected Muller, Neuer and Iniesta.

• Like 2

On 11/17/2015 at 4:53 PM, Tesla said:

Whats the go with Behich now, seems to be second choice.

Looks like the bloke that replaced him is a 20yo who is in the Turkish senior national team.

Time to find a new club, even if he was better it would be hard to take the spot back since they'd be looking to build up the transfer value of the 20yo

So he is not starting for his club or the NT anymore... But almost this exact time last year I was being force feed a ton of humble-pie from you and Malimate.

1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

Germano - Southbank footbridge.

46 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Busking?

Yeah, as a Human Statue... that is lying on the ground.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cadete said:

So he is not starting for his club or the NT anymore... But almost this exact time last year I was being force feed a ton of humble-pie from you and Malimate.

Yeah, as a Human Statue... that is lying on the ground.

Well the problem is you said he'll never play for Australia, so regardless of what happens to his career from now on you were still wrong. And he played in legitimate games, not games against shit nations where a-league players are called up. 

Also worth noting my beliefs that he had a chance of playing for Australia was due more to a complete lack of left back options rather than Behich's ability. 

Anyway, more than happy for his European career to come to an end and him having  to return to the a-league and sign with us because he would be the best left back in the league :up: 

22 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Well the problem is you said he'll never play for Australia, so regardless of what happens to his career from now on you were still wrong. And he played in legitimate games, not games against shit nations where a-league players are called up. 

Also worth noting my beliefs that he had a chance of playing for Australia was due more to a complete lack of left back options rather than Behich's ability. 

Anyway, more than happy for his European career to come to an end and him having  to return to the a-league and sign with us because he would be the best left back in the league :up: 

Well its great to know that some club in Turkey now have a Left Back that can mark Wingers and put in the occasional half accurate cross...

9 minutes ago, cadete said:

Well its great to know that some club in Turkey now have a Left Back that can mark Wingers and put in the occasional half accurate cross...

Actually just checked and he has 10 starts this season so he isn't completely out of the picture.

He's been back in the starting XI for the past 7 or 8 games, coinciding with Bursaspor going on a good run of results including 6 wins on the trot. Generally plays the full 90 every game too. Looks like he'll be back in the Socceroos picture with Davidson warming the pine at Huddersfield

Edited by mus-28

6 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

He's been back in the starting XI for the past 7 or 8 games, coinciding with Bursaspor going on a good run of results including 6 wins on the trot. Generally plays the full 90 every game too. Looks like he'll be back in the Socceroos picture with Davidson warming the pine at Huddersfield

There are serious questions about Davidson's ability TBH.

Brad Smith starting to get some game time at Liverpool though.

Davidson made a bad career choice moving to the Championship. Was a regular at Heracles and forging a decent reputation for himself at a club that was on the rise. Same goes for Tommy Oar who was fleetingly linked with Ajax prior to Utrecht freezing him out after he refused to sign a new contract. Now he's picking splinters out of his arse at Ipswich.

30 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Davidson made a bad career choice moving to the Championship. Was a regular at Heracles and forging a decent reputation for himself at a club that was on the rise. Same goes for Tommy Oar who was fleetingly linked with Ajax prior to Utrecht freezing him out after he refused to sign a new contract. Now he's picking splinters out of his arse at Ipswich.

I have a Dutch friend who reckons that the fans felt that Davidson was over rated at Heracles. Every one was surprised at his selection and then games for the NT and were all left wondering as to why he did not produce that form at the club level.

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I have a Dutch friend who reckons that the fans felt that Davidson was over rated at Heracles. Every one was surprised at his selection and then games for the NT and were all left wondering as to why he did not produce that form at the club level.

Can confirm. Was a serviceable eredivisie level wing back but that's it. WBA threw stupid money at him for some reason.

Edited by perthheart

• 2 weeks later...

Former A-League youths Symeoy, Yango join Avondale

by Damir Kulas  

February 3, 2016 2:33 pm

Avondale FC have pulled off a big double coup, signing Nick Symeoy from Melbourne City’s NPL side and Abraham Yango for the 2016 season.

A versatile player, the 21-year-old Symeoy featured across the backline –predominantly as a fullback – and on the wing.

He made his senior debut for the Moreland Zebras in 2012 under Joe Palatsides.

The young defender made over 50 appearances for Moreland Zebras between 2012 and 2014, winning the Zebras’ Best and Fairest award in 2013, before being named the NPL 1 Rising Star in 2014 after a season yielding 12 goals.

His form earned him a contract at Melbourne Victory in 2013, before being signed by City the next season and winning the National Youth League.

He had two A-League appearances, making his debut off the bench last season in Round 22 against Sydney FC in a 1-0 win, before making another substitute appearance in a 1-4 defeat against Adelaide in Round 27.

He made 14 NPL 1 appearances in 2015, scoring one goal as City finished outside a promotion playoff position.

http://www.cornerflag.com.au/former-a-league-youths-symeoy-yango-join-avondale/