Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

Tadic scored in a friendly for Rijeka a few weeks ago. Didn't make their squad for the season opener over the weekend.

omfg

i miss him so much

sarkies signed for bulleen

Was playing reserves at Port before that, needs to pull the pin...

wouldve thought that was a bit harsh... 

surely could offer something to a VPL side? ....

image-3920069.jpg

Roff Rutger joins some Thai side, defs more suited to his skill set...

Back in orange at long last!

According to transfermarkt.co.uk  Rutger has joined Thai Premier League side Chiangrai United until 31/12/13.

Edited by jw1739

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hearing Thompson's been signed by Sydney FC

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1170017/Thompson-joins-Sydney-FC

Thompson joins Sydney FC

Sydney FC has signed midfielder Matt Thompson on an injury replacement contract for Peter Triantis.

The free agent has been without a club since leaving Melbourne Heart at the end of last season and goes straight into the squad for the Sky Blues' season-opening game against Newcastle Jets.

“I couldn’t be happier,” said the 31 year-old midfielder. “I’m a Sydney boy so it’s fantastic to be coming home and playing in front of my home crowd.”

Sydney FC coach Frank Farina said he was happy to be adding Thompson’s experience to the squad: “Matt has proven quality in this league and his signing is a boost to Sydney FC. We’ve completed the paperwork so he is a chance to make his debut in tonight’s season opener.”

Thompson has the record for making the most appearances in the A-League after a five-year spell with Newcastle Jets followed by three years with Heart.

“To get the chance to face my former club in my first game as a Sydney FC player is very special for me,” Thompson said. “I’m looking forward to it immensely.”

Thompson has made 203 A-League appearances, scoring 26 goals. He has also represented Australia on four occasions.

Edited by mattyh001

Would be interested to see how Colosimo does in India, currently Dempo are P:4 W:0 D:3 L:1 having conceded 7 goals. Colosimo has played in every game and only notched up 1 yellow card so far.

ex Perth striker Billy Mehmet is alsoon the books at Dempo and has 1 goal from 4 appearances.

• Like 1

Sydney FC set gold standard, says Matt Thompson

Date October 15, 2013

Matt-20Thompson-20of-20the-20Heart-20131

Matt Thompson in action last year. Photo: Getty Images

For eight years, Matt Thompson thought Sydney FC was a cocky club fed by silver spoons but was shocked to discover that his new team is one of the hardest working squads he's been a part of.

The former Melbourne Heart and Newcastle Jets midfielder bought into the hype of Sydney's ''Bling FC'' tag from the first season of the A-League and believed the team coasted on the shoulders of big-name players and marquee men rather than a rich work ethic. It was quite a surprise for him when he experienced the intense work-rate endured by the players in his first training session with the Sky Blues.

''They've always been the club that you think they've got everything, everything comes to them because they're Sydney FC and they're the glamour club,'' he said.

''But, to come into here and see that everything's not given to them, they have to work for it, they're like every other club, they have to make sure they're here on time, work their butts off on the pitch.''

Advertisement <iframe id="dcAd-1-3" src="http://ad-apac.doubleclick.net/N6411/adi/onl.age.sport/sport/soccer;cat=sport;ctype=article;cat1=soccer;pos=3;sz=300x250;tile=3;ord=1.0714609E7?" width='300' height='250' scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0"> </iframe>

No player has played more A-League games than Thompson, who boasts the record of 204 games in the competition and perhaps has more experience against Sydney than any other player. The 31-year-old built up a perception of the club over time but says that was shaken to the core just hours after his arrival for a trial where he was put through his paces by coach Frank Farina. Not only was the workload harder than he predicted, but the tight-knit friendship was not one he expected from a team that endured such a turbulent season last campaign and finished in seventh place.

''The one thing that shines to me is that 23 players want the best for absolutely everyone and you don't get that everywhere,'' Thompson said. ''I've been here two weeks but looking at the work ethic of the players the other night, everyone wants to be here and perform. I've never actually seen a squad that's so happy for one another … It's a pretty good feeling, they talk about family and whatnot and it's used pretty easily sometimes but I think they've actually got that here.''

The veteran midfielder made his debut for the Sky Blues in Friday night's 2-0 win over the Jets and Thompson revealed that he only signed a short-term deal less than two hours before kick-off. He was still jobless when he arrived at the stadium but penned a deal as an injury replacement player on the eve of the season opener.

With a hefty injury toll at the club, Thompson was thrown into the starting line-up and says was surprised that he managed to play nearly 70 minutes given his limited preparations. ''It happened pretty quick but I couldn't be happier,'' he said. ''With the slower tempo from both sides, the first game, the first 10 to 15 minutes is always pretty full-on but then it sort of dies down a bit before half-time.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/sydney-fc-set-gold-standard-says-matt-thompson-20131014-2vivh.html#ixzz2hhDtcAlw

Edited by Peter

• 2 weeks later...