Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

AFAIK Rutger Worm is not Willem II player. He is not shown in their squad. IIRC he had a trial with them, but was not offered a contract. He then went for a trial at Ferencvaros, Hungary. Don't know the outcome of that.

Good, I take pride in the fact I ruined his career, cant have him signing in the Eredevise. Hungarian league would be fine.

Edited by Tesla

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/morelandzebrasfc/news/kliment-taseski--2012-vpl-u21-player-of-the-year-692377.html

Kliment Taseki recently just won the VPL's best Under 21 player for his efforts at Juve, considering Juve's terrible year (They got relegated) and the fact Kliment was injured for a few matches its a very good effort from the former MHFC Utlity.

Hopefully he gets a second go at A League... as the guy seems like a pretty nice bloke as well.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

After leading Pahang to the Malaysian Premier League Title and promotion to the Malaysian Super League with his 13 goals in 21 games, Maycon didn't have his contract renewed. He returned to Brazil and is now plying his trade with Nova Igacu in Brazil's Serie D, whom he played for before he signed with us.

Alex Terra was released by Daejon Citizen in January and hasn't found a new club.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt Thompson to look overseas

11 July SBS Greg Prichard

Matt Thompson, the record-holder for A-League appearances with 203, is facing up to the possibility he has played his last game in the competition.

Thompson, who was cut by Melbourne Heart at the end of last season, is currently living in Brisbane and training with Roar.

But he told The World Game there was no contract for him at that club and that the main reason he was up north was because he and his wife, Leslie, were awaiting the birth of their second child and Leslie had family there.

Thompson said he was now looking to Asia and the Middle East for a new club, and that he had representatives seeking out opportunities for him there.

"Mike [Mulvey, the Brisbane coach] told me he was happy for me to train with Roar for as long as I need to," Thompson said.

"I've been up here for six weeks now. It looked like I might be able to pick up a deal here at one stage, but there were never any promises and in the end Mike wasn't in a position to be able to do it. That's the way it goes, and I understand that.

"I'm glad I'm able to train with the club and keep my fitness up, in case I can work something out elsewhere. I go to most of the training sessions, but I'm also looking after our young son a fair bit at the moment, with Leslie getting close. She's due in a few days."

Thompson said he would be prepared to go overseas on his own to play for a while if he got a contract, rather than rush his young family over there so soon after the birth.

"It looks like playing overseas is the most likely option for me now," he said. "I've just got to find the right deal, in the right place. If I have to wait a bit longer it will work out well, because I'll be able to help Leslie with the new baby.

"I've got friends looking out for me in Asia and the Middle East. If I have to go on my own for a while then that's the way it will be, to keep my career going. It would depend where it is, and whether it was a suitable situation for a newborn baby."

Thompson, 30, played 121 games for Newcastle Jets and won the league championship with them in 2007-08. He played 82 games for Heart, and spent time as captain at both clubs.

A midfielder or defender who is originally from western Sydney, Thompson was shocked when Heart did not offer him a new contract. He said at the time that he thought he had another three or four years of football left in him.

It will be a surprise to many that Thompson, who has also played for the Socceroos four times, has not been picked up by another A-League club at this stage.

"I talked to a couple of other [A-League] clubs, but it didn't go past the preliminary stage," he said. "Football is a crazy game – something could come up just like that. But at this stage it looks as if I'll be heading overseas. I'm just glad I'll be here for the birth.

"I've been doing this for 12 years now, and sometimes you've got to move around to get a contract. I've been concentrating on getting my name out there, and now hopefully something will develop."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1159316/Matt-Thompson-to-look-overseas

Edited by Murfy1

Matt Thompson to look overseas

11 July SBS Greg Prichard

Matt Thompson, the record-holder for A-League appearances with 203, is facing up to the possibility he has played his last game in the competition.

Thompson, who was cut by Melbourne Heart at the end of last season, is currently living in Brisbane and training with Roar.

But he told The World Game there was no contract for him at that club and that the main reason he was up north was because he and his wife, Leslie, were awaiting the birth of their second child and Leslie had family there.

Thompson said he was now looking to Asia and the Middle East for a new club, and that he had representatives seeking out opportunities for him there.

"Mike [Mulvey, the Brisbane coach] told me he was happy for me to train with Roar for as long as I need to," Thompson said.

"I've been up here for six weeks now. It looked like I might be able to pick up a deal here at one stage, but there were never any promises and in the end Mike wasn't in a position to be able to do it. That's the way it goes, and I understand that.

"I'm glad I'm able to train with the club and keep my fitness up, in case I can work something out elsewhere. I go to most of the training sessions, but I'm also looking after our young son a fair bit at the moment, with Leslie getting close. She's due in a few days."

Thompson said he would be prepared to go overseas on his own to play for a while if he got a contract, rather than rush his young family over there so soon after the birth.

"It looks like playing overseas is the most likely option for me now," he said. "I've just got to find the right deal, in the right place. If I have to wait a bit longer it will work out well, because I'll be able to help Leslie with the new baby.

"I've got friends looking out for me in Asia and the Middle East. If I have to go on my own for a while then that's the way it will be, to keep my career going. It would depend where it is, and whether it was a suitable situation for a newborn baby."

Thompson, 30, played 121 games for Newcastle Jets and won the league championship with them in 2007-08. He played 82 games for Heart, and spent time as captain at both clubs.

A midfielder or defender who is originally from western Sydney, Thompson was shocked when Heart did not offer him a new contract. He said at the time that he thought he had another three or four years of football left in him.

It will be a surprise to many that Thompson, who has also played for the Socceroos four times, has not been picked up by another A-League club at this stage.

"I talked to a couple of other [A-League] clubs, but it didn't go past the preliminary stage," he said. "Football is a crazy game – something could come up just like that. But at this stage it looks as if I'll be heading overseas. I'm just glad I'll be here for the birth.

"I've been doing this for 12 years now, and sometimes you've got to move around to get a contract. I've been concentrating on getting my name out there, and now hopefully something will develop."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1159316/Matt-Thompson-to-look-overseas

He's a great guy, solid player but he had a woeful season so I still think it was the right decision by the club.

Hope it all works out well for him in the end.

I actually would have rathered the club keep him. A massive pay cut and tell him that his starting spot is far from guaranteed (unlike last season). Thompson would be a handy squad player because he can play pretty much anywhere on the park! Under those conditions he probably would have left though.

I actually would have rathered the club keep him. A massive pay cut and tell him that his starting spot is far from guaranteed (unlike last season). Thompson would be a handy squad player because he can play pretty much anywhere on the park! Under those conditions he probably would have left though.

for me it was the right time to let him go.

for most of last season Thompson's passing radar was completely off.  add to the fact you could say the same of his tackling ability and i question what value would he actually bring.

don't get me wrong, Thompson was one of the nicest guys i've met.  for me tho it has to be about the football and it was time to move on.

• Like 2