Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

Hopefully he goes well. Zwolle tend to play a more robust style of football than is typical in the Netherlands. With more emphasis on a target man. Most of their goals tend to come from midfield from what I've seen. Babalj will be in as competition for Tomas Necid the Czech international but no way will he be a walk up starter as Necid is a beast.

They also have Stef Nijland who was at Roar for a stint and a young kiwi winger who is rapid called Ryan Thomas. Nijland seems to have really developed at Zwolle considering he didn't look much chop at Roar.

I like that these guys have signed a few Aussie but the fuckers have cost Ajax two cup trophies in 12 months but good to see another club outside the traditional big three do well and joining the likes of AZ, Twente, Heerenveen etc as providing a bit of depth to the eredivisie.

I've also profited about $500 or so off winning PEC bets in the last year or so. The agencies seemed to have figured out that they aren't relegation fodder now though unfortunately.

They paid pretty well last week when I got on them, wish I had paid more attention to them sooner TBH. Very short odds this week.

Babalj not in the squad overnight, which isn't really a surprise.

Necid not in the squad either.

Nijland (ex Roar) started in what I assume would be Babalj's position and scored 2 goals.

Gonna be hard to break in to the team, they look very strong at the moment.

Zwolle - 1 was easy money, expected 2-0 but Zwolle too strong 4-0.

Sainsbury not even back yet.

Babalj did join Zwolle before the window closed, should be interesting to see how he goes.

From the article I read he is on loan until the end of the season. No reasons were given.

I wonder if it is because there is no place for him at AZ, or to get him regular game time post injury?

http://footballcentral.com.au/where-to-now-for-babalj/#.VNV3MGz9ljo

That may explain the situation at AZ a little, hope he gets his chance at Zwolle and kicks on.

Babalj on trial with PEC Zwolle.

Hope he gets a decent run. Knock a few goals in Eli.

It would be brilliant for the boy, also Aussey striker stocks are a bit low with Cahills inevitable retirement. Though Taggart got a run in their win at Fulham, but I would like another ex Melbourne Heart/City player in the picture :)

I fear Eli is not going to make it in Europe because he is too lazy and relies too much on his pure talent alone...

I cant help but feel if he had been developed under another more rigid and regimented Junior System like what they have had in place in Japan for now almost twenty years now he could be really doing things in Europe.

Edited by cadete

I fear Eli is not going to make it in Europe because he is too lazy and relies too much on his pure talent alone...

I cant help but feel if he had been developed under another more rigid and regimented Junior System like what they have had in place in Japan for now almost twenty years now he could be really doing things in Europe.

The determination/professional mentality in football manager factor, I think you could be right. Though Sainsbury was always seen as lazy by his coaches, Holger commented on it explicitly.

6 months from now Ian Ramsay will be cutting my lawn for pocket money while playing in state league 3

I wouldn't want him mowing my lawn, he'd be throwing stepovers while trying to dodge my dog. Then would probably spend his time going in circles and struggle to finish, story of his footballing career.

• Like 1

6 months from now Ian Ramsay will be cutting my lawn for pocket money while playing in state league 3

I wouldn't want him mowing my lawn, he'd be throwing stepovers while trying to dodge my dog. Then would probably spend his time going in circles and struggle to finish, story of his footballing career.

all I got was.....struggling to finnish, throwing stepovers whilst trying to avoid my dog.....

I'm sure there is a euphemism involved somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
Melbourne Knights FC is happy to confirm that Adrian Zahra has signed with the Club ahead of the 2015 PS4 NPL Victoria season.

The 24-year-old returns to the Club where he played juniors and made his first senior appearance after periods with A-League sides Melbourne Heart and Perth Glory and stint in Malta with Valletta FC.

Zahra joined the Club last Friday, on what was a hectic Transfer Deadline Day for the league, and will be eligible to play this Friday when the Knights take on Avondale FC in the NPL Victoria season opener.

Speaking to melbourneknights.com.au before his first training session at the Club, the winger said he was glad to be back at Somers Street and was aiming for success in Andrew Marth’s squad.

“It’s an exciting time,” Zahra said.

“The NPL is obviously in its second season and I’m just happy to be back somewhere where I began and where I was really enjoying football. I’m just looking forward to it.

“[Knights] are a proud club and in order to pay back a bit of faith – because at the end of the day I grew up at this club and this is basically where I started – it was just an easy decision for me to make.”

“Knights have a rich history and I’m sure they want to win things and so do I. You come back and you play football to win – if you don’t to win, you don’t really want to be here, let’s be honest.”

The midfielder also admitted that he was propositioned by other NPL clubs, but said his decision to come back to Knights Stadium was an easy one.

“To be fair, there were obviously a few other clubs I was talking to. It came to the last day and I’d only been back [in Australia] a few days beforehand and the decision to come here was very easy.

“I obviously know Sarma (Knights President, Simun Samardzic) very well and the Club. The way they are looking forward, it’s a good place to be right now.

“I still feel as though I’ve got enough to perform at the highest league in Australia but to come back here, to my grassroots, is something that I’m looking forward to and these leagues are fundamental to producing young players and everything going forward for Australian football.”

Zahra and his teammates start the new season at home to Avondale FC on Friday, February 20th, with at 8.30PM at Knights Stadium.

• Like 2

I just noticed this snippet on the TWG site, pizza boy is now delivering in western Sydney

Ward, who has played at Perth Glory, Melbourne Victory, Wellington and Newcastle as well as stints at English clubs Queens Park Rangers and Brighton, has been training with the Wanderers.

The club is expected to announce his signing for the remainder of the A-League season on Saturday.

Foxe, who was the assistant coach under John Aloisi at Melbourne Heart - now Melbourne City - attended his first Wanderers training session on Friday and joins Ian Crook and Trevor Morgan as the third assistant.

With the Wanderers playing in two competitions, coach Tony Popovic was looking to bolster his coaching staff to help share the load across both their Asian Champions League and A-League campaigns.

I just noticed this snippet on the TWG site, pizza boy is now delivering in western Sydney

Ward, who has played at Perth Glory, Melbourne Victory, Wellington and Newcastle as well as stints at English clubs Queens Park Rangers and Brighton, has been training with the Wanderers.

The club is expected to announce his signing for the remainder of the A-League season on Saturday.

Foxe, who was the assistant coach under John Aloisi at Melbourne Heart - now Melbourne City - attended his first Wanderers training session on Friday and joins Ian Crook and Trevor Morgan as the third assistant.

With the Wanderers playing in two competitions, coach Tony Popovic was looking to bolster his coaching staff to help share the load across both their Asian Champions League and A-League campaigns.

Wow, good luck to him

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Aziz Behich played the full 90 minutes overnight as Bursapur beat Fenerbache 3-0 in the second leg of the Turkish Cup semi-final, putting them through to the final 4-2 on aggregate.

Unfortunately, we (Galatasaray) will have to spoil it for Bursa in the final.

Ross Archibald has been signed by Fortuna Dusseldorf II (Fortuna Dusseldorf's reserves), which plays in the German 4th division, after trialing earlier this year:

Fortuna II: Australians coming!

Ross Archibald comes from Melbourne City FC (Australia) to Fortuna Dusseldorf II. The 20-year-old midfielder has already been tested in the past and was able to convince those responsible.

http://live.reviersport.de/000/067/39-rs.html

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

The whole series of events with Archibald are very odd.

Good to see him get a chance over there but I must admit that I saw very little from him in his opportunities in the senior team in his time with us.

His lack of pace seemed a major issue, but maybe it was just on those occasions he didn't lift his game to the required standard. No idea.