Melbourne Football

Games thread

DutchPride

vCoD was where the best players were at, a toss up between than & 2 being my favourite but maybe 2 as a I played it more, but I remember using the STG in vCoD and shooting 5 bullets before the recoil went to the sky.

Lol sif use it on full auto ;) if you were pro have it on semi auto with every shot head shot ;)

• 5 weeks later...

I have a brother who plays COD for maybe an hour a day, this led to quite a heated argument between my father and I. He was trying to argue that gaming companies employ psychiatrists who design games to "suck in naive teenagers to play their games for 18 hours a day so they can make billions" and that they test them on thousands of people and if the games don't have the desired effects on their brains then they tweak the games to make them more addictive. He also thought I was stupid for comparing games with movies and TV shows because "TV shows have a story" lol.

My counter argument was that gaming companies don't have psychiatrists working for them, but are small teams of about 100 people that make a product that is so good that people become addicted due to the enjoyment and feeling of accomplishment they get. I said that star wars has made billions of dollars not because it's designed to be addictive, but because it's a great product. This was apparently "clutching at straws". I said that people who pedal the shit he heard are old people that are scared of games and don't understand them, who are just creating propaganda. Most of which have never played a video game. This apparently made me naive. He's final statement was that I'll understand when I get to my 50's.

I'm not even a gamer. I play the occasional game of FIFA and that's it. But please tell me that I was right and not him.

I think you're both right in some respects.

Just on the addictive side of things...

Research has been done into the methods Blizzard were employing in the development of the WoW series due to its leagues of addicted and mentally effected consumers. It was supposed that Blizzard were intentionally enhancing aspects of the game they knew to be the most likely to cause dependence and addictive behaviour ie the intricate level up systems, extensive character personalisation, gold farming and play-to-play online scheme. There is now a loose term in some Psychiatry journals about the the addictive neurophysiological effects games such as WoW have on SOME players. The term is WoW-Syndrome(very creative ;) ). It's not a hugely canvassed area of addiction study due to the effects being quite a recent phenomenon but it is growing in terms of research and diagnoses.

They may not go out and hire medical experts, but they certainly have done their research. It would be no coincidence that CoD has so many fucking levels and guns in multiplayer to achieve. Strong reward system, get people hooked on unlocking the next step.

I'm using CoD, as it's the perfect example. How much money does each new release bring in for the developers? Can you say that since the first modern warfare, that there has been a massive change in the gameplay? To me, it seems every game is exactly the same, except with new map packs and an even worse campaign. People are buying the game for any massive changes, they just want the challenge of starting all over again.

It sounds a bit far-fetched, I understand that, but you don't hear of anyone getting addicted to the campaign, do you?