Melbourne Football
MHFC-FAN

FFA - Cup

My local lads Eltham Redbacks (now in SL1) are into the 7th round (vs Altona Magic) after a thrilling win over Pascoe Vale mid week.

The Pascoe vale win was the type that makes football the greatest game in the world. Went behind early, only to equalise in injury time. Had the worst of extra time, including an awesome keeper save.

Won on pens.

Somehow beat Altona and we’ll be in the main draw.

3 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

My local lads Eltham Redbacks (now in SL1) are into the 7th round (vs Altona Magic) after a thrilling win over Pascoe Vale mid week.

The Pascoe vale win was the type that makes football the greatest game in the world. Went behind early, only to equalise in injury time. Had the worst of extra time, including an awesome keeper save.

Won on pens.

Somehow beat Altona and we’ll be in the main draw.

The competition doesn't get much publicity, does it?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The competition doesn't get much publicity, does it?

Yeah not much.

the Hume - Heidelberg “shoot out” did get a little, but that was it.

@Shahanga Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I find it very difficult to find out when and where the matches are to be played, entry charges, facilities at the grounds, etc. etc.

The only ones I end up going to are at Bentleigh Greens, which is about 10 minutes drive away. Even then, getting a ticket is like pulling hen's teeeth. The clubhouse is open only on a Friday evening, you go there and make enquiries, told to "see that bloke over there in the corner in the leather jacket - he's got the tickets." You do that and leather jacket says "They're in my car" so you go with him to the car, he ferrets about on the back seat eventually finding a plastic bag, extracts the tickets you want, and you pay him cash. All this in the dark of course. It must be like doing a drug deal. Lord knows whether the club or FFA ever gets the money.

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@Shahanga Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I find it very difficult to find out when and where the matches are to be played, entry charges, facilities at the grounds, etc. etc.

The only ones I end up going to are at Bentleigh Greens, which is about 10 minutes drive away. Even then, getting a ticket is like pulling hen's teeeth. The clubhouse is open only on a Friday evening, you go there and make enquiries, told to "see that bloke over there in the corner in the leather jacket - he's got the tickets." You do that and leather jacket says "They're in my car" so you go with him to the car, he ferrets about on the back seat eventually finding a plastic bag, extracts the tickets you want, and you pay him cash. All this in the dark of course. It must be like doing a drug deal. Lord knows whether the club or FFA ever gets the money.

You're experiencing the 'magic of the cup'

Embrace it.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, IssySG said:

Anyone else planning on going to Knights / Adelaide?

it's extremely tempting I must say, hopefully they can draw more than 3k for that game 

1st, 2nd & 3rd on the 2018/19 A League ladder knocked out in the first round and all 3 playing at home. The magic of the Cup eh.

22 minutes ago, n i k o said:

pc1a0BF.jpg

Magic of the Cup

Does anyone else get the evil thoughts of wanting to see that duck get nailed by the ball?

• Haha 1

Star of the night must surely be David Ball, talked-up striker for Wellington Phoenix. Missed two penalties - one in the match itself that would probably have given the match to Wellington, the other in the shoot-out.

3 hours ago, haz said:

Does anyone else get the evil thoughts of wanting to see that duck get nailed by the ball?

nah, I was hoping that it would get spooked and run onto the pitch during the televised game

then it would have hit new heights of the presentation of soccer in Australia

• Like 2