Melbourne Football

The Australia Cup (formerly the FFA Cup)

MHFC-FAN

4 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

If I recall correctly @cadete was a big fan 

Many were. I think your right, I remember nothing but praise coming from cadete. The kid can play, and he's still young enough to develop into a solid aleague player. We're struggling at right back as well if Muscat plays on the left. 

Edited by n i k o

Am I the only one who thinks there is a legitimate chance Green Gully will roll CCM?

Would probably go watch for lols if it wasn't winter, FFA Cup should be played in warmer months to get people to actually go to these state league grounds.

• Like 2

Now 1-2. How come the Scum always manage to get a penalty?

Redlands 0-0 with Adelaide.

Winners tonight: Canberra, MV (3-1), and Bonnyrigg.
Redlands equalized in the final minute to make it 1-1 against Adelaide; now in extra time.

Edited by jw1739

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

That was bloody amazing. Awesome, gripping TV.

As a side note, if Adelaidedont make some decent attacking signings soon, they are nowhere near making the six.

yet they finished top with djite who did nothing for the first half of the season, goodwin will be a big loss

On 02/08/2016 at 6:58 PM, Tesla said:

Am I the only one who thinks there is a legitimate chance Green Gully will roll CCM?

Would probably go watch for lols if it wasn't winter, FFA Cup should be played in warmer months to get people to actually go to these state league grounds.

This probably the most impressive call I've seen on here.

not sure the skills gap has changed much to be honest. Last year we saw a number of close calls but the A League clubs all managed to escape due to either arse, class or questionable refereeing.

I suspect a lot of cup critics just looked at full time scores or watched a blow out game when the NPL season was over and A League was in full swing.

4 hours ago, Shahanga said:

not sure the skills gap has changed much to be honest. Last year we saw a number of close calls but the A League clubs all managed to escape due to either arse, class or questionable refereeing.

I suspect a lot of cup critics just looked at full time scores or watched a blow out game when the NPL season was over and A League was in full swing.

I don't have much doubt that there's enough talent in Australia for expansion of the A-League. I looked through the list of players playing for the non-league clubs in the round of 32 and there were plenty of names that I recognised. In some cases there are also perfectly acceptable grounds for new clubs to call home. The problem as always is that there is not sufficient financial backing for football in this country.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

The problem as always is that there is not sufficient financial backing for football in this country.

This is absolutely the be-all and end-all in the expansion debate.

Anything else is smoke and mirrors. The constant coming and going of sides in the old NSL was hugely detrimental to the game and having the likes of Gold Coast and North Queensland going under is not something the A-League needs to repeat itself. The other argument i guess is having a level playing field, but it appears we are moving more and more away from the salary cap as it is. 

• Like 3

There's plenty of financial backing, what there isn't is a whole lot of idiots looking to throw their money away.

If there is an even remotely enticing business case the backing is there, investors would be tripping over themselves for another Sydney licence for example.

The FFA have improved things over recent years, but still they are discouraging investment. Less regulations. Less interference. Less stealing of licences back from owners. Independent A-League. The FFA is holding the league back, nothing else is.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Must admit that I didn't know the FFA's rule allowing guest players in the FFA Cup.: 

"In order to play in the FFA Cup, Ronaldinho would need to satisfy the FFA Cup guest player criteria. Each Member Federation club in the final rounds (Round of 32 onwards) can apply to have one guest player that sits outside the club’s player roster, but a big pre-requisite is having significant international experience, which the Brazilian certainly ticks."

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Must admit that I didn't know the FFA's rule allowing guest players in the FFA Cup.: 

"In order to play in the FFA Cup, Ronaldinho would need to satisfy the FFA Cup guest player criteria. Each Member Federation club in the final rounds (Round of 32 onwards) can apply to have one guest player that sits outside the club’s player roster, but a big pre-requisite is having significant international experience, which the Brazilian certainly ticks."

if that greek guy that played for heidleberg last season qualified then pretty much anyone does

• jw1739 changed the title to The Australia Cup (formerly the FFA Cup)
  • jw1739 pinned this topic