Melbourne Football

The Australia Cup (formerly the FFA Cup)

MHFC-FAN

As bad as it sounds, I'm kind of glad Perth is going through as it'll make for a more entertaining final.

Hopefully in the years to come, the non-league clubs can bridge the evident gap between the two levels and become more competitive. 

Well done to Bentleigh though.

I still find it unfathomable that a cup final is being played midweek at night, fuck me dead ahaha.

yeah the scheduling for this has been extremely poor.

the cup final should be played the week before the a-league season starts, preferably on a sunday. state clubs will be entering the end of the season and a-league clubs will be just starting. no other way to go about it imo.

another thing that is shit is had Bentleigh Greens got a suspension last night and won, that player would not be eligible to play the final. yet if Perth got a suspension that player could serve that this weekend and play the cup final. definitely needs to be fixed.

oh and ffs all this talk of magic of Bentleigh Greens making it etc is bollocks. there was always gonna be at least 1 state team in the semi final FFS. next year needs to be 100% random or there is 0% magic in this

• Like 5

oh and ffs all this talk of magic of Bentleigh Greens making it etc is bollocks. there was always gonna be at least 1 state team in the semi final FFS. next year needs to be 100% random or there is 0% magic in this

I was very much for this but watching some of the NPL teams the gap between them and the a-league teams is so wide its not even funny. The only upset was Adelaide city beating a much under strength WSW, i just can't see a lot of magic happening unfortunately.

• Like 1

Yep, I knew the state clubs would struggle as did most people but I honestly thought there'd be more upsets than we got. 

Game of the tournament was the Sydney United 58 vs Sydney FC match by a mile for mine, it was actually really exciting and United actually looked good without the need for Simon and Harps to overhype the shit out of them.

• Like 1

I still find it unfathomable that a cup final is being played midweek at night, fuck me dead ahaha.

yeah the scheduling for this has been extremely poor.

the cup final should be played the week before the a-league season starts, preferably on a sunday. state clubs will be entering the end of the season and a-league clubs will be just starting. no other way to go about it imo.

another thing that is shit is had Bentleigh Greens got a suspension last night and won, that player would not be eligible to play the final. yet if Perth got a suspension that player could serve that this weekend and play the cup final. definitely needs to be fixed.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts too.

Wanted a FFA cup for a while, and we've seen that it's not too difficult to pull off but the FFA have, not surprisingly, still managed to fuck it up. I've really struggled to give a fuck about it at all. 

Can't wait for our national cup final on a Tuesday night in front of two thousand people in Gosford...  :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Well done Pissants.

I reckon the cup was a success and am pleased that the FFA wants to make it bigger and better. The different seasons remain a big challenge though. An out of season semi pro outfit vs an in season a league side wasn't much of a match up.

I think it will be a lot better when there is a random draw. IMO it's galling to see three A-League clubs go out immediately. Perhaps more than that though, I didn't think much of City's attitude to it, and it's just another area in which we need to have a good hard look at ourselves if we want to grow as a club.

I couldn't fathom JVS and the club's approach to this tournament. Do we have so many trophies we are not interested in another one? Very strange.

Is 'most injuries in a-league history' a trophy?

Longest streak without a win

Longest loosing streak away from home

So far biggest underachiever in the league .......... Bring on fkn confetti !!!!!

• jw1739 changed the title to The Australia Cup (formerly the FFA Cup)
  • jw1739 pinned this topic