Melbourne Football

The Australia Cup (formerly the FFA Cup)

MHFC-FAN

Allocations are extremely shit IMO, I don't understand how SA get just 1. When I read 'NSW = 8', I thought that would be including their Northern league too, but to have almost half the teams in the whole comp from NSW (4 HAL,10 state) is a bit BS.I think a fairer allocation would have been something like NSW/NNSW 8(6+2), Vic 5, Qld 4, WA 2, SA 2, Tas 1, ACT 1.Also, I know they aren't much, but I would have liked to see an NT side included, they have a couple decent sides up there.

I know it wouldn't take a lot more, but pretty sure they don't have numbers like 6 and 5 because it would require extra games, where as with 8 and 4 they can just take the last 8 and 4 of the respective cup competitions.

I was thinking that but reckon that's bullshit. It's not like the qualifying will start with 64, 128, 256 teams etc. It's going to have to be "rigged" with byes early (not that there is anything wrong with this) to get down to a final 8/4/2/1. Why not rig it to go down to 40/20/10/5 etc?

Very excited by this.

NT will presumably have a pathway either via Qld or SA but really a "direct would make more sense.

The interesting thing will be how do you get those state slots.  I would give the first 1 to the "cup winner" within the state, then the rest to order of finishing in the league i guess.  Maybe NSW spread it around more for regional cups or something.

How it should work is every FFA affiliated club has a potential pathway.  That is if you win enough promotions etc you can qualify.  Now that they are drawing this artificial community club/ professional club line they might stop that, but allowing the little clubs a shot at the title is what give cups their sense of magic.

Would like to see the little clubs in at a round of 64, with the top clubs (A league, handful of state level teams) given a bye to the next round.

The interesting thing will be how do you get those state slots.  I would give the first 1 to the "cup winner" within the state, then the rest to order of finishing in the league i guess.  Maybe NSW spread it around more for regional cups or something.

How it should work is every FFA affiliated club has a potential pathway.  That is if you win enough promotions etc you can qualify.  Now that they are drawing this artificial community club/ professional club line they might stop that, but allowing the little clubs a shot at the title is what give cups their sense of magic.

Would like to see the little clubs in at a round of 64, with the top clubs (A league, handful of state level teams) given a bye to the next round.

My understanding is that it comes from the state cups. I.e the last four in the dockerty (FFV) cup will enter the FFA cup. Although I think the semis and final will still be played at state level which seems a bit pointless. (this kind of kills my point above about having a final 5 lol)

Long term I wonder if you could run 2 cups. 1 for FFA qualifying and 1 for the FFV cup.

Although I think the semis and final will still be played at state level which seems a bit pointless.

I disagree, they are still playing for the FFV cup. The qualification for the FFA cup is just a prize for reaching the final 4. I hope they do play out the state cups (which I think they will).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On Monday 11am AEDT Football Federation Australia will officially launch the inaugural FFA Cup competition and unveil the trophy.

Don't miss the announcement! Follow http://www.twitter.com/FFA

Just posted on Facebook.

I look forward to the game against South Melbourne :P

Grudge match haha!

I'd actually love for it to be at Lakeside, would be an amazing atmosphere with the Yarraside there.

On Monday 11am AEDT Football Federation Australia will officially launch the inaugural FFA Cup competition and unveil the trophy.

Don't miss the announcement! Follow http://www.twitter.com/FFA

Just posted on Facebook.

I look forward to the game against South Melbourne :P

Grudge match haha!

I'd actually love for it to be at Lakeside, would be an amazing atmosphere with the Yarraside there.

Apparently matches between state league teams and A-League teams will be at the state league ground.

I wonder if half an ACL spot will be given to the winner?

Tuesday is interesting as it may force A-League clubs to field less than full strength teams after Oct.

depending on how this shit works, at the very least the semis and final should be on the weekend

How the draw works:

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/How-the-FFA-Cup-draw-works/86839

So if I am reading that correctly there are 3 all A-League games guaranteed for the first round?

Tuesday is interesting as it may force A-League clubs to field less than full strength teams after Oct.

depending on how this shit works, at the very least the semis and final should be on the weekend

How the draw works:

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/How-the-FFA-Cup-draw-works/86839

going by that it looks like we'll face an a-league side

In the FAQ section on the website it states, regarding the final not being on a weekend;

"This was not possible for 2014 given the busy 2014/15 Season Fixture due to the 2014 FIFA World Cup and the 2015 AFC Asian Cup. It is the intention for the FFA Cup Final for 2015 onwards to be on a weekend, to emphasise the importance of the FFA Cup Final within Australia’s football calendar and consistent with national knockout competitions in other countries."

How the draw works:

So if I am reading that correctly there are 3 all A-League games guaranteed for the first round?

it appears that way and seems a bit silly?

In the FAQ section on the website it states, regarding the final not being on a weekend;

"This was not possible for 2014 given the busy 2014/15 Season Fixture due to the 2014 FIFA World Cup and the 2015 AFC Asian Cup. It is the intention for the FFA Cup Final for 2015 onwards to be on a weekend, to emphasise the importance of the FFA Cup Final within Australia’s football calendar and consistent with national knockout competitions in other countries."

yeah nah shit excuse

could have started the a-league season earlier or not have the opening round across 4 weeks :droy:

Yeah, I'm definitely not a fan of the pots for this kind of competition, especially the pot B crap. 

It's obviously been fixed so there's a likelier chance of state league sides progressing further into the tournament (edit: which is absolutely fine, but I guess the magic of the cup comes from the smaller clubs defying the odds as opposed to being given an easier route).

Tuesday nights are a killer too, going to be breaking my back trying to get to any games now.

Edited by Nate

How the draw works:

it appears that way and seems a bit silly?

I think its the right move. Guarantees that a few more non-a-league sides will stick around longer then the first match.

Presumably the a-league teams will be heavy favourites in all matches,  so immediately knocking out all the state-league teams would destroy the whole fairytale concept that the FFA are heavily pushing. 

That being said I really really wouldn't want to be one of the teams that is knocked out before getting the chance to take on a state team.

How is it guarenteed to be on a weekend when they plan on playing on the same date every year? (Australia Day)

Apparently the 6 A-league sides playing eachother in the first round is to help maximise the chances of state clubs going deeper in to the comp... I don't like it for a few reasons.

1. The 6 weaker HAL sides are the ones more likely to lose a game providing for more 'giant killer' chances,

2. You're taking the chance away from more clubs to host Pro teams (revenue),

3. Three HAL clubs (and their fans) will never get the chance to face a state side,

4. takes away from the integrity of the competition having such a predetermined fixture, especially with an ACL spot potentially up for grabs.

And fwiw, I think the cup and logo look brilliant, I hope the naming rights sponsor doesn't fuck it...

Should be a random draw all the way. Not this pot bullshit.

Yes, or at least from the Second round proper onwards.

The whole comp has already been so engineered so maybe for the First round could have had 2 pots; 10 HAL clubs + 6 state cup winners in one and the other 16 in another for the sake of fairness.

Edited by LR9

• jw1739 changed the title to The Australia Cup (formerly the FFA Cup)
  • jw1739 pinned this topic