Melbourne Football

The Australia Cup (formerly the FFA Cup)

MHFC-FAN

My local lads Eltham Redbacks (now in SL1) are into the 7th round (vs Altona Magic) after a thrilling win over Pascoe Vale mid week.

The Pascoe vale win was the type that makes football the greatest game in the world. Went behind early, only to equalise in injury time. Had the worst of extra time, including an awesome keeper save.

Won on pens.

Somehow beat Altona and we’ll be in the main draw.

3 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

My local lads Eltham Redbacks (now in SL1) are into the 7th round (vs Altona Magic) after a thrilling win over Pascoe Vale mid week.

The Pascoe vale win was the type that makes football the greatest game in the world. Went behind early, only to equalise in injury time. Had the worst of extra time, including an awesome keeper save.

Won on pens.

Somehow beat Altona and we’ll be in the main draw.

The competition doesn't get much publicity, does it?

• Like 1

@Shahanga Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I find it very difficult to find out when and where the matches are to be played, entry charges, facilities at the grounds, etc. etc.

The only ones I end up going to are at Bentleigh Greens, which is about 10 minutes drive away. Even then, getting a ticket is like pulling hen's teeeth. The clubhouse is open only on a Friday evening, you go there and make enquiries, told to "see that bloke over there in the corner in the leather jacket - he's got the tickets." You do that and leather jacket says "They're in my car" so you go with him to the car, he ferrets about on the back seat eventually finding a plastic bag, extracts the tickets you want, and you pay him cash. All this in the dark of course. It must be like doing a drug deal. Lord knows whether the club or FFA ever gets the money.

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@Shahanga Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I find it very difficult to find out when and where the matches are to be played, entry charges, facilities at the grounds, etc. etc.

The only ones I end up going to are at Bentleigh Greens, which is about 10 minutes drive away. Even then, getting a ticket is like pulling hen's teeeth. The clubhouse is open only on a Friday evening, you go there and make enquiries, told to "see that bloke over there in the corner in the leather jacket - he's got the tickets." You do that and leather jacket says "They're in my car" so you go with him to the car, he ferrets about on the back seat eventually finding a plastic bag, extracts the tickets you want, and you pay him cash. All this in the dark of course. It must be like doing a drug deal. Lord knows whether the club or FFA ever gets the money.

You're experiencing the 'magic of the cup'

Embrace it.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
22 hours ago, Harrison said:

Bottom two teams at the end of this season will play off for a spot in next year’s FFA Cup. Not quite relegation but at least it is some punishment for being shit. 

Next year it’ll be the bottom four teams who play off I think. 

So almost all the clubs in the League will be involved in play-offs? Why not extend the League season?

I'm not a fan of the results of play-offs in the League being carried over into a completely separate competition, especially when the League will be run by a Commission and the Cup by FFA.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

So almost all the clubs in the League will be involved in play-offs? Why not extend the League season?

I'm not a fan of the results of play-offs in the League being carried over into a completely separate competition, especially when the League will be run by a Commission and the Cup by FFA.

Bottom four of 12 teams. 

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Don’t really like the neutral venue concept, I know it’s “fairest” but who in Melbourne would be interested in (say) an Adelaide vs Perth cup final? 

Better to draw it out of a hat I think.

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Don’t really like the neutral venue concept, I know it’s “fairest” but who in Melbourne would be interested in (say) an Adelaide vs Perth cup final? 

I think they should make the announcement based on the teams that make it to the semi. Pre book venues in capital cities beforehand though.

4 hours ago, Shahanga said:

IMO neutral is good if done on a stand-alone SATURDAY at a central-ish venue, ie not Perth or Welly. Those two create too many issues in terms of travel time and cost.
I think doing it that way might be detrimental to attendances and perhaps FFA bottom line, but it will create the atmosphere of an actual final and one that fans can make a weekend of. I'd think a large chunk of our fan base would travel to Sydney or Adelaide at a fortnights notice for a final if they didnt have to miss work to do so. You also get that carnival atmosphere of an away day where all the fans meet at the one pub pre-game and it really makes it an experience. Also maintains the integrity of the game, which lets face it, has sorely lacked in previous cup finals.
It will start low key, but it will genuinely become a comp for fans that the fans actually respect if they do it that way, and it will build up over the years if its treated as such. As it stands its too manufactured with bugger all of a prize, so AL fans have struggled to take it seriously.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Cup qualification has started in Queensland, with one of my old clubs*, Southport, having a big win over Oxley.

Now I’ve no idea what the plan is here, will the final be in the next season? and good luck to teams from Victoria, The Lockdown State, it’s hard to imagine they’ll be able to compete at their normal level. Information seems a bit sketchy, I guess I’ll keep digging.

* I’m confident it was my association with their junior teams for a couple of years in the late 70s that led to this victory.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • jw1739 pinned this topic

Here's the full draw. https://www.theffacup.com.au/news/official-ffa-cup-round-32-match-ups

I thought it was going to be a free draw? Was it chance that in all the matches involving an A-Leagueclub except the one between two A-League clubs it's the A-League club that is the "away" team? Or was it still the non-league team to play at home?

• jw1739 changed the title to The Australia Cup (formerly the FFA Cup)