Melbourne Football

The Australia Cup (formerly the FFA Cup)

MHFC-FAN

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Round of 32 draw tonight at 7.

Hoping to get something local. 

Pot A (10 Hyundai A-League clubs)

1. Adelaide United, 2. Brisbane Roar FC, 3. Central Coast Mariners, 4. Melbourne City FC, 5. Melbourne Victory, 6. Newcastle Jets, 7. Perth Glory, 8. Sydney FC, 9. Wellington Phoenix, 10. Western Sydney Wanderers FC

Pot B (22 Member Federation clubs)

11. Adelaide Comets, 12. APIA Leichhardt FC, 13. Armadale SC, 14. Avondale FC, 15. Bentleigh Greens SC, 16. Bonnyrigg White Eagles FC, 17. Broadmeadow Magic FC, 18. Cairns FC, 19. Canberra FC, 20. Charlestown City Blues FC, 21. Devonport Strikers, 22. Gold Coast Knights FC, 23. Gwelup Croatia SC, 24. Hakoah East Sydney FC, 25. Heidelberg United FC, 26. Hellenic Athletic Club, 27. Lions FC, 28. Marconi Stallions FC, 29. Northcote City FC, 30. Olympic FC, 31. Port Melbourne Sharks SC, 32. Rockdale City Suns FC

Edited by Forever City
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, haz said:

I would think Victory fans are the type to enjoy living in a swamp?

I’m not accusing you of this. But I Always found it ironic that we complain about becoming a mini Manchester yet use a lot of the same phrasing and insults that Manchester supporters do

7 hours ago, Dylan said:

I’m not accusing you of this. But I Always found it ironic that we complain about becoming a mini Manchester yet use a lot of the same phrasing and insults that Manchester supporters do

Wouldn't even know what they used haha

-----------

Cairns FC are folding. Not surprised, paying $2k up there for a rep team that only plays a few games per year. It's unorganised and gets no funding to due Nrl and AFL taking it all

There is such a big gap between games in this Competition. In Scotland the season begins with a cup competition. This competition at the league stage is used to get your team ready for the start of the league season.

Would this help Australian teams prepare for the start of the league and drum up support? How would it work? I see it as 4 leagues of 5 teams.  12 A league teams and 8 National teams (there would have to be a playoff to reduce it to 8)

3 A league and 2 National teams in each group this gives 4 games (2 home and 2 away). The top 2 or the winners can go through to the next round (semi-final or quarter-final).

It sure would keep things going rather than this long gap between games.

16 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

There is such a big gap between games in this Competition. In Scotland the season begins with a cup competition. This competition at the league stage is used to get your team ready for the start of the league season.

Would this help Australian teams prepare for the start of the league and drum up support? How would it work? I see it as 4 leagues of 5 teams.  12 A league teams and 8 National teams (there would have to be a playoff to reduce it to 8)

3 A league and 2 National teams in each group this gives 4 games (2 home and 2 away). The top 2 or the winners can go through to the next round (semi-final or quarter-final).

@Inchcolm Even if we didn't include the NPL teams, the A-League clubs could be drawn in two groups of 5, play once against each other in the groups (4 matches) and then the top two from each group to the semis and so to the League Cup final. As it is currently with a six-month off-season the A-League "dies" for several months and then has to be revived for the new season. The format I've suggested would still work with a league of 12,14 or 16 clubs; there would just be more group matches.

On 22/08/2018 at 5:16 PM, Inchcolm said:

If you are going to keep noticing “weird shit” the FFA does and wondering why, pretty soon you’ll be as twisted and cynical etc etc as the rest of us.

Best you just look, nod and smile. Less pain that way!

I think the thing @Inchcolm may not have also noticed is that the different levels play in different calendars. Npl and lower leagues are traditional winter leagues beginning in mar/april and finishing in sept/Oct whilst A League runs through the summer starting in Oct finishing May. 

The problem with FFA cup is that the early rounds 32 and 16 are basically when the A League teams haven't even been training but the NPL teams are probably at their peak. The later rounds become less favourable for the lower league teams as they have basically finished their seasons and if they are still in the last 8 or even semis they won't have played much at all

I think the final 3 rounds quarters/semis and Final should be played in march april and mirror somewhat the Champions League model of early rounds early on and final rounds much later.

• jw1739 changed the title to The Australia Cup (formerly the FFA Cup)
  • jw1739 pinned this topic