Melbourne Football

MHFC By The Numbers - Season 1 + 2...

bulldozed

Hey guys, I put a couple of hours in and did up a table comparing our first two seasons, primarily highlighting our improvements 'by the numbers' this season. I'm a bit of a numbers nerd... Hope some of you appreciate this. Happy for this to be brushed up and re-distributed elsewhere too guys.

* Amended, thanks JW1739 for noticing that! Removed and re-uploaded file. Removed Morwell from the equation entirely...

* 2nd amendment, with 'derby-deleted' averages in-situ...

MHFC By The Numbers.doc

Edited by bulldozed
  • Like 2

Nice work. Shows that it's really our inability to win at home that costs us.

If you count the win at Morwell as a 'home win' then you really ought to count the attendance there as the 'lowest home attendance.' Dare I suggest that you show four 'home wins' with a footnote about the Morwell game?

Edited by jw1739

Well done mate, good stats.

Points to both some positives but a few negatives.

Would also like our average attendances without the derby from last year and this year if possible.

Home form is terrible and something we need to improve on. I have my thoughts on why we are so flat at home.

But well done mate, very interesting.

• Like 1

- For those without Office...

MHFC By The Numbers – Season Two

The prime objective of this article is to compare the performance of our beloved Melbourne Heart for their two seasons in the Hyundai A-League; their debut in 2010-2011 and a fitting improvement in their sophomore 2011-2012 run, leading into an exciting finals campaign – the sole hope of all fans at the beginning of the season.

2010-2011

2011-2012

Matches Played

Matches Won

Matches Drawn

Matches Lost

Goal Difference

Goals Scored

Goals Conceded

% Potential Points Available

38.89%

45.68%

Highest ladder position (points)

4th (Equal – Rd 13)

2nd (Rd 17/18)

Own Goals

Individual Goal Scorers

Discipline

Carded Players

Yellow Cards

Second Caution Red Cards

Direct Red Cards

Home Ground

Home Matches

Total Home Attendance

Average Home Attendance

Home Attendance Comparison

+114.89%

Highest Home Attendance

Lowest Home Attendance

Home Wins

Home Draws

Home Losses

* Match against Wellington Phoenix (Week 9) in Morwell, Vic was the 'Regional Round' and did not count to Home statistics. Attendance was below the lowest 'Home' match figure.

• Like 1

Well done mate, good stats.

Points to both some positives but a few negatives.

Would also like our average attendances without the derby from last year and this year if possible.

Home form is terrible and something we need to improve on. I have my thoughts on why we are so flat at home.

But well done mate, very interesting.

Makes for harsh viewing, but then almost every club has a similar syndrome.

2010-2011: 5,828

2011-2012: 6,399

in regards to crowds, we're always going to have at least 1 derby a season so that will always boost our average up

i think the aim in the next few seasons is to start getting crowds no lower than 7000 a game with the 'bigger' matches reaching 10,000 and obviously the derbies to get 26.000+

Edited by heart_fan10

We should aim and target an average of 10,000 (no derby) with a membership base of at least 12,000. By next year. Sounds unreasonable cause we have got this narrow view in our heads. Anything is possible.

We are a team from Melbourne, the sporting capital in the world. If we can't get a crowd there (sorry from Tassie), we wont anywhere. Club needs to get off their ass and get out and target everyone, not just soccer people. There is 4,077,036 people in Melbourne. Take away the what, 50,000 committed Victory fans that would never come across and think about what we have to work with. I find it remarkably a defeatist attitude the club has to its membership numbers and crowd attendances.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but it is not exactly huge numbers I am suggesting. That would still be 60% or more lower than any AFL club and they have 10 clubs competing in the city. Think about that for a minute. North Melbourne, who are viewed as the cellar dwellers and poor club and constantly get abused about being a drain on the league in terms of numbers, have around 25,000 members. It really boggles the mind how we cannot think and expand our minds to get more members and supporters. I have voiced my thoughts on other threads, so I apologize to do it again on here and take away from bulldozed brilliant work, but it gets on my nerves.

• Like 3

If more people like Ando got people to sign up as members (like he did with me) then that would help heaps! I didn't follow A-League until this year. Only been to two soccer games before my first heart game this year. They were Aus v NZ in 2010 at MCG. Then Celtic vs Fucktards at AAMI last year.

• Like 1

Well said dRoy.

Ando has that "just do" attitude the club need. I remember at the derby he went and spoke to those Asian fans who attended. Brilliant. That is what is needed. 6,700 members. Logically, if everyone does an Ando and signs up a mate, even for a 5 game membership, there is 13,000 members.

What I am saying is the club need to get off their ass, but supporters need to have that way of thinking at all times. Invite anyone. Even if, like you dRoy, they aren't interested in the sport.

As I keep saying, everyone deserves football. Bring your work mate, uni buddy, cousin, brother, best mate, girlfriend, boyfriend, uncle whoever. Giving people the gift of football is something special, to sound cheesy, but it shouldn't be that hard. It shouldn't be this hard.

As a fan base, the Yarraside and RWU have a great voice. Why not have a #target12k and make it a concentrated effort to get 12,000 members signed up by the fans for next year. So every member signs a member. Make it a contest as to which member refers the most members wins a prize. Or just not have any gimmicks and through the ways you have to reach people, use facebook, twitter, HeartCast and whatever means to spread the message.

Just a thought.

In summary, what a shit couple of years we've endured

Wouldn't say shit considering we are the second team to be established in Melbourne after Vicktree had been the only team for a number of years. You can't honestly just think we would come in to the league and instantly have 20,000 members and win the league.

Makes for harsh viewing, but then almost every club has a similar syndrome.

2010-2011: 5,828

2011-2012: 6,399

These are actually the important figures. It is statistically misleading to include the two home derby matches in the attendances for seasons 1 and 2, because there were only eleven non-derby home matches in season 2 compared with thirteen non-derby home matches in season 1. This has the effect of inflating the overall figures for season 2 compared with season 1.

In the future we would expect to see one home derby one season, followed by two the following year, so once again it will be misleading to include derby attendances.

The above shows that we averaged 571 more people at home games in season 2, a rise of 9.8%. We must also bear in mind that we moved the season, and did not suffer those wet days as we did in season 1. I would say it would be dangerous to draw any conclusions from the figures, except to say that the increase is encouraging. But the figures also show just how far we have to go.

reading an article the other day, Peter Sidwell made a comment at parliament house yesterday saying that the club didn't have the strongest membership drive this season which obviously indicates that he wasn't pleased with the way things were handled in that aspect. So i'm expecting to see a very good membership drive for next season.

A strong finals campaign, followed by a strong membership campaign, with the possibility of signing one or two 'big' players could see a bigger increase in crowds next season.

"the club chairman believes making the play-offs could lift membership by more than 33 per cent next season."

Might be a bit much, but it will certainly burn into people's vision that we're playing serious football... A home final in week two would be epic and could do big things......

Edited by bulldozed

Bit late for that sadly.

Who gets the week two fixture? Is it a (finals series) goal difference-based decision or based on regular-season position? Before posting, I had the quickest look at the 'finals table' (admittedly on wikipedia) and got the suggestion that the winner of the 3rd vs. 6th fixture hosted in week 2?

Who gets the week two fixture? Is it a (finals series) goal difference-based decision or based on regular-season position? Before posting, I had the quickest look at the 'finals table' (admittedly on wikipedia) and got the suggestion that the winner of the 3rd vs. 6th fixture hosted in week 2?

A solid 99.9% sure that it's the higher ranked of the two teams who get hosting rights.

That would also be the impression that you get from the fixture that I printed out pre-season.

But...the FFA web-site now shows Elimination Final 1 as being Wellington v. Sydney, i.e 4th v. 5th, and Elimination Final 2 being Perth v. Heart, i.e. 3rd v. 6th

...so putting that into the original fixture... it will be the winner of Wellington v. Sydney that hosts the Minor Semi Final.

The way it's set out means that Heart cannot host any finals match, and Perth only one. Which seems very unfair. Hence 'I hate finals' in the fanzine...

Sounds basic but a lowered membership price could attract more members, I personally don't mind the price but I know a few people who thought it was too much this season.

Just buy a kids membership every season $37.50. (YY)

It's not like they check them at the gates anyway.

Just buy a kids membership every season $37.50. (YY)

It's not like they check them at the gates anyway.

That's all the fat old ladies do! Wait for a concession or kids ticket to buzz up on their screens then they go check.